Shane Long

186 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Shane Long

by ZacNaloen » 31 May 2011 18:33

Don't sign for Celtic just because you'll get european football, it's a worse league, it won't improve you as a player and Lennon is a twat.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane Long

by Big Ern » 31 May 2011 18:35

And this needed another new thread because?...........

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 31 May 2011 18:37

Zac said:

Don't sign for Celtic just because you'll get european football, it's a worse league, it won't improve you as a player and Lennon is a twat.

Not sure I agree entirely with your sentiments Zac but get your drift anyway. By the way are you hoping Shane's going to browse this forum while eating his wheeties? :lol:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 May 2011 18:37

So I can get the +1 when someone complains :roll:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 31 May 2011 18:37

The Cap Zac said:

Not sure I agree entirely with your sentiments Zac but get your drift anyway. By the way are you hoping Shane's going to browse this forum while eating his wheeties? :lol:

Who knows eh?

07RFC

by 07RFC » 31 May 2011 18:45

The optimist in me says that maybe, just maybe, we'll hang on to him till January on the premise that if we are battling near the top he'll stay, and if we're languishing middle or bottom of the table he'll be on his way.

But i'm certainly more of a pessimist.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 31 May 2011 19:27

The Cap Zac said:

viewtopic.php?t=97489

:wink:

The Doctor

by The Doctor » 31 May 2011 19:31

ZacNaloen Don't sign for Celtic just because you'll get european football, it's a worse league, it won't improve you as a player and Lennon is a twat.

Agreed. Don't sell yourself short lad. A bottom of the rung Premiership club is a better move than the SPL. Bide your time and make the right choice for you, your girlfriend and littlen.

Where ever you go you'll always be fondly remembered as a member of the great 106 team.

Good luck!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 31 May 2011 19:32

ZacNaloen Don't sign for Celtic just because you'll get european football, it's a worse league, it won't improve you as a player and Lennon is a twat.

I think it's the right move as he's never a premiership striker. I agree it won't improve him though as it's actually a step down in standard most weeks.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 May 2011 19:34

Scarface

I think it's the right move as he's never a premiership striker. I agree it won't improve him though as it's actually a step down in standard most weeks.

How do you know he won't make it in the Premiership? He deserves a chance and a Premiership team will come in for him in the summer. I hope he does brilliantly in the top flight.

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 01 Jun 2011 01:35

Even Noel Hunt doesn't rate Celtic.
As Noel Hunt said to a Celtic fan 'Your team is made up of players from the Championship' and that Rangers and Celtic would struggle if the Prem if they ever somehow got in.
Surely a lower half Prem team will come knocking for him with major interest this summer, although it is up to Shane if he wants to be a big fish in the Championship or a little fish in the Premiership

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Jun 2011 01:48

Even if he doesn't hook on with Celtic I am betting Newcastle will take a punt on him. I agree tho, if it comes down to playing for Celtic or playing for Reading he would be better off staying put. Unless Celtic are willing to pay him "hit the lottery" type of numbers.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Jun 2011 04:17

But according tot the Guardian the mostly likely PL suitors for Long will be Swansea and Everton. It seems like the folks at the Guardian think that Brendan is going to target up to four of his former Reading players (other than Long they are Kebe, McAnuff, and Karacan). That would be an absolute kick in the teeth. :x :x

Everton would be a great PL team for Shane to land with, if the Guardian report is accurate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jun/01/premier-league-prospects-2011-12

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 01 Jun 2011 08:27

If he goes to Celtic for £4 million, he will...
...earn > £1 million a year
...be their biggest player and the most famous man in Glasgow
...be able to score goals each week against conference defences
...get several huge local derbies each year
...play for the club loads of his family might have supported when he was younger
...get into the Champions League each year

I would love him to stay at Reading, and always imagined he would leave us for a bigger club in the Premiership, but going to Celtic wouldn't be daft.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Jun 2011 08:32

Handsome Man If he goes to Celtic for £4 million, he will...
...earn > £1 million a year
...be their biggest player and the most famous man in Glasgow
...be able to score goals each week against conference defences
...get several huge local derbies each year
...play for the club loads of his family might have supported when he was younger
...get into the Champions League each year

I would love him to stay at Reading, and always imagined he would leave us for a bigger club in the Premiership, but going to Celtic wouldn't be daft.

... be playing in a league in which UEFA values each goal as being worth half the value of a goal scored in England, Italy, Spain, Germany etc ....
... be abused and reviled in half the places in the city
... be constantly looking over his shoulder and worrying about his family
... be wondering what the postman brings each day
... be living in 1690.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 01 Jun 2011 11:30

1TeamInBerksRFC Shane Long Price High Rated

Wonderful contribution there. Compelling and rich

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 01 Jun 2011 11:30

I support this new thread.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 01 Jun 2011 13:25

poo please eat.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 01 Jun 2011 13:43

away go now

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jun 2011 14:06

I think footballers are really the scum of the earth but I'm hoping Long has more of a sense of loyalty.

I've stayed in my job despite the high probability of being able to move on to jobs giving me 150% more salary because my company trained me up, they're decent folk, I like them, they've been good to me and was it not for them I'd not be where I am now.

I would be thoroughly disappointed in Long who had the worst record as a striker I remember in my 29 years of supporting the Royals with all those games with a shocking inability to score from open play and dare I say it, that cost us possibly autopro. He was shockingly bad yet we stuck with him. I'm glad we did. BM knew there was potential there. And I like the guy. Even liked him when he was Mr Zero. But for Long to just leave at the drop of a hat because it happens to be a Prem side would p*ss me off a little after what we did for him. I seriously hope he factors this in and does the right thing and stay with us.

But then we have to think of Madejski who would sell his own soul for money if he could.

*awaits abuse*

:wink:

186 posts