Combination matches at Elm Park

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
friday fan

Combination matches at Elm Park

by friday fan » 19 Aug 2011 12:00

Just remembering as a child when away games were on I used to go to a great number of combination matches at EP, saw a great number of stars such as Charlie George just after he signed for Arsenal, used to love seeing the likes of Chelsea and Spurs and others and waiting to see who was in their team. Anyone else remember those days :)

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Combination matches at Elm Park

by Hampshire Royal » 19 Aug 2011 12:09

I started supporting Reading in 1967, the year after they won the Combination League (Ithink). I heard about crowds of 5000 for Combination games, and went to a few games. On Saturdays, as I recall, they played the 'A' team games (I can't remember which league) and all the Reserves games were midweek.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy these games as all I was really interested in was the 1st team and reserve games didn't have the same edge.

elman

by elman » 19 Aug 2011 13:34

I remember late forties, seeing Denis Compton turn out for Arsenal reserves.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 19 Aug 2011 13:58

Excuse my youthful ignorance, are Combination matches the equivalent of reserve games?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 19 Aug 2011 14:32

elman I remember late forties, seeing Denis Compton turn out for Arsenal reserves.

:shock:

Candidate for oldest hobnobber behind Royal Lady.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 19 Aug 2011 14:56

I went to quite a few evening combination games at Elm Park during the late 70s. The only section of the ground open were the seats in blocks B/C/D. Often, the 'crowd' was no more than a couple of hundred. I do recall Robin Friday playing in one game, after coming back from injury or suspension (probably the latter) and that trebled the usual crowd.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Aug 2011 15:02

I recall many years ago going to see Reading play away to Southend on a Friday night and the following day see the stiffs play at home to Ipswich Town stiffs. Think Ipswich won 2-0.

old woman

by old woman » 19 Aug 2011 18:15

Went to see lots of reserve matches in the seventies- cost 22p as a junior( or boy as the entrance stated). Bobby Lenarduzzi often played :D

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Aug 2011 18:26

roadrunner
elman I remember late forties, seeing Denis Compton turn out for Arsenal reserves.

Eat your heart out vision (who recently subjected me to an ageist comment that brought on gout and early Alzheimers but otherwise taken with a pinch of salt) there is somebody older than me and still alive!!
I only go back to the early 50s.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Aug 2011 18:30

Hampshire Royal I started supporting Reading in 1967, the year after they won the Combination League (Ithink). I heard about crowds of 5000 for Combination games, and went to a few games. On Saturdays, as I recall, they played the 'A' team games (I can't remember which league) and all the Reserves games were midweek.

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy these games as all I was really interested in was the 1st team and reserve games didn't have the same edge.

I remember them also HR as evening games.
IIRC there was a crowd of over 8000 on night when we beat Bournemouth to win the combination league (that league might only have been for clubs outside of the top division).

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 19 Aug 2011 18:40

I went to a few, I can remember playing Spurs on a Wednesday afternoon. I parked in the Norfolk road and a big Rolls Royce parked up behind me. And out came Terry Venables Spurs manager at the time. I said nice motor Terry, he totaly blanked me, felt about 2 feet tall! :oops:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 19 Aug 2011 21:53

One of my first games at EP was to see the Chelsea stiffs, including Peter Osgood.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Aug 2011 21:54

As far as I can remember the Combination was the reserve league - and we were in with all the southern based division one clubs (ie today's prem) in the 70's - and there was another league called south east counties which must have been youth league I guess.

I can only remember the combination games during mid week - and it was free entry if you went with an adult with a season ticket. Remember seeing Arsenal (Liam Brady coming back from injury) and the stand was full - cannot ever remember the terraces open at Elm Park though

BanffshireRoyal

by BanffshireRoyal » 19 Aug 2011 22:17

roadrunner

Some respect for your elders please. I was there too.

bcroyal

by bcroyal » 19 Aug 2011 22:32

Saw many a reserve game, one of which saw Graeme Souness, when he was with Spurs, have a fight with a spectator in the stands. Souness was sat on the bench although he wasn't playing, something was said and the next minute he was in the stands scrapping.

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1