Who calls the shots

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Who calls the shots

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Sep 2011 20:23

OK, we now have a situation where players have come in, and according to BBC Berks Alf looked clueles and did nothing, the Spurs guy was poor, Pearce looks heavy footed, Feds distribution lacks variety, etc etc.

So my thread asks, who calls the shots, are the new signings all players scouted by RFC then agreed by McD, or does Hammond say here is a new player for your squad. Has BmC been the guy bringing in the players he wants? If signings are down to McD then the buck stops there, doesn't it?

Outgoing is down to others wanting to take our better players away, so I can see why that would be Hammond, but surely incoming is down to the manager?

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

Re: Who calls the shots

by Sir Dodger Royal » 10 Sep 2011 20:27

Donut can only work within the budget. That TWAT of the Chairman is the one who should be getting it big time from Reading fans.

However most are gutless and live in the past and don't have the balls to have a go. RFC fans deserve what they get and this year relegation will be served up for dinner and it will be their just deserts. Unlessss..........................................

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 10 Sep 2011 20:30

..............the players start to put a bit of effort in and care.

Balding Guy V2 can only do so much and the pooor souls need a good kick up the arse and a few of them dropped.

Let's start with the man between the sticks...

Do You See? :shock:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Sep 2011 20:43

Harpers So Solid Crew the Spurs guy was poor

Bit harsh given he didn't play.
Feds distribution lacks variety, etc etc.

Usually a fair criticism, but he rolled it out twice today.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Sep 2011 20:44

TEQUILA! SCHNAPPS! SAMBUCCA!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Sep 2011 20:46

SCIAG
Harpers So Solid Crew the Spurs guy was poor

Bit harsh given he didn't play.
Feds distribution lacks variety, etc etc.

Usually a fair criticism, but he rolled it out twice today.

they were talking about the games he did play, not todays game. Did Harry do us up like a kipprer?

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 10 Sep 2011 20:52

who call the shots? in terms of transfers?

hammond and mcdermott, and you cannot fault either if you look back to day 1 and what these two have done for us in their time here.

i feel very sorry for mcdermott. he's proved he's worthy of managing at this level but any good player he has gets sold in the summer. how on earth are you supposed to build anything when your chairman sells anyone worth their salt? budgets are cut and you can only work with what you've got too.

we are looking more and more like a bottom third team this season and sjm's world class model will be a league one class model next season. you cannot be self-sufficiant and successful, and we are still running at a loss!

i can't even bare to think about us in league 1. more restructuring and the downward spiral continues. pray it don't happen.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Sep 2011 20:57

McD has shown that given £12m of talent he can get results, but this club cannot afford that talent, where do we go from here, SC has a lot to answer for for giving RFc so much success for so little money.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Sep 2011 09:40

Harpers So Solid Crew McD has shown that given £12m of talent he can get results, but this club cannot afford that talent, where do we go from here, SC has a lot to answer for for giving RFc so much success for so little money.

1. BBC Berks reported incorrectly on both Feds and ALF in my opinion
2. McD wasn't GIVEN £12m of talent - that is what others were prepared to pay for a few of our players

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Sep 2011 10:12

It's always nice to hear the comments of SDR & Thou Voice at this time of the season.

I look forward to it.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Sep 2011 11:17

Sir Dodger Royal Donut can only work within the budget. That TWAT of the Chairman is the one who should be getting it big time from Reading fans.

However most are gutless and live in the past and don't have the balls to have a go. RFC fans deserve what they get and this year relegation will be served up for dinner and it will be their just deserts. Unlessss..........................................

Agree with this.

McD has lost heart and his body language was all wrong in the press conference. This has obviously fed through to the players and the continual annual fire sales is now telling its toll.

It is time to demonstrate NOW before it is too late - the old coot has got to be told by the fans

Remember he was trying to sell players THE DAY AFTER THE PLAYOFF FINAL.

Facts - £45M in in last 3 years - WHAT A WELL RUN CLUB WE ARE.

Maybe we can get some more loans - Crawley have a few players they are trying to give league experience to.

retro royal

by retro royal » 11 Sep 2011 11:39

My main concern is the quality of player McDermott is bringing in and spending a fair few quid on transfers, o.k not as much as what we have received but thats not the point.

If I recall correctly the list is

Andy Griffin 250k - Stablised us first season good signing
Marcus Williams 150k - Waste of money
Sean Morrison 350k - Waste of money so far just warming the bench
Kaspar Gorkss 900k - Time will Tell
Jack Mills 100k - 3rd Choice at Southampton behind Dan Harding, Give him time though
Ian Harte 150k - Good Free kicks, scored loads because Long was great at winning free kicks from nothing
Mikele Leigertwood 1m - Great loan signing, time will tell if 1m was well spent
Adam Le Fondre 450k - Seems like a good goal poacher at lower level, but we'll have to have much better possession for him to suceed
Mathieu Manset 350k - Bit of a head down merchant from what I can tell
Brett Williams 100k - Waste of money.

So he's spent just about £4m, not alot compared with what we've got back in, but I would expect to see 5 good first team players for that. I look at that list and not one stands out to me. I know some are in very early stages of there RFC careers and really hope to be proved wrong.

For me next game

McCarthy
McAnuff Gorkss Morrison Cummings
Robson-Kanu Karacan Leigertwood Obita
Howard
LeFondre

Bench
Griffin
Gunnarson
Manset
Kebe
D'Auth

For me players like Kebe, MacAnuff just don't keep possession/tackle back well enough to play in a four man midfield.

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 11 Sep 2011 12:14

No goalkeeper on the bench?
How about putting Feds on the bench and use him as a striker.

Cookie

by Cookie » 11 Sep 2011 14:02

Harpers So Solid Crew OK, we now have a situation where players have come in, and according to BBC Berks Alf looked clueles and did nothing.

You weren't at the match were you? I know we all can't get to all of the games, but yesterday was a big day for Adam Le Fondre, he worked hard and put himself about - including his fair share of defensive duties.
We listend to Tim & Mick during the game as well and I'm not sure they said "he did nothing" but they pointed out that he was a player not unlike Jamie Cureton who would "come alive in the box" and I didn't see much service to him in the box.

But it's early days mate give him a while and he'll get goals. :D

zummerset

by zummerset » 11 Sep 2011 14:34

retro royal For me next game

McCarthy
McAnuff Gorkss Morrison Cummings
Robson-Kanu Karacan Leigertwood Obita
Howard
LeFondre

Bench
Griffin
Gunnarson
Manset
Kebe
D'Auth

For me players like Kebe, MacAnuff just don't keep possession/tackle back well enough to play in a four man midfield.

Good shout Retro...macnuff and cummings as overlapping full backs.. don't agree with obita for Kebe though but SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!

zummerset

by zummerset » 11 Sep 2011 14:36

Also missed you sliding in Howard..who is going out on loan (hopefully)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Sep 2011 18:06

retro royal
Andy Griffin 250k - Stablised us first season good signing
Marcus Williams 150k - Waste of money
Sean Morrison 350k - Waste of money so far just warming the bench
Kaspar Gorkss 900k - Time will Tell
Jack Mills 100k - 3rd Choice at Southampton behind Dan Harding, Give him time though
Ian Harte 150k - Good Free kicks, scored loads because Long was great at winning free kicks from nothing
Mikele Leigertwood 1m - Great loan signing, time will tell if 1m was well spent
Adam Le Fondre 450k - Seems like a good goal poacher at lower level, but we'll have to have much better possession for him to suceed
Mathieu Manset 350k - Bit of a head down merchant from what I can tell
Brett Williams 100k - Waste of money.

Judging by the inflated inward transfer fees paid that you are quoting you must be SJM.

The actual figures were:

Griffin 50K
Marcus Williams - free transfer
Ian Harte - 50K
Morrison 250K
Gorkks 900K
Leigertwood - 750K
Joe Mills - free transfer
Le Fondre 350K
Manset 250-350K
Brett Williams 50K

Just over 2.5 million the lot.

This is the probelm - we sell players for milions and pay peanuts for replacements.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 11 Sep 2011 18:19

The funds quoted in the press are wrong for players.
additionally, i know for a fact Nick Hammond and the board AND McD are extremely pleased as they know the players they have sold for hefty fees, namely Matt Mills, have got the clubs extremely lucky fees, and its only due to NHs miracles that we have got more than just a fraction of the price that these clubs have paid.
£12m worth of talent lost? i doubt it

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Sep 2011 18:24

royalsroyalsroyals92 The funds quoted in the press are wrong for players.
additionally, i know for a fact Nick Hammond and the board AND McD are extremely pleased as they know the players they have sold for hefty fees, namely Matt Mills, have got the clubs extremely lucky fees, and its only due to NHs miracles that we have got more than just a fraction of the price that these clubs have paid.
£12m worth of talent lost? i doubt it

We received 4.5M for Mills - potentially rising to 5.5m

We received 4.5m for Long potentially rising to 7.5M - but an agreed minimum of 5.5M

Are you saying this is wrong?

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1