Papering over the cracks....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Papering over the cracks....

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Nov 2011 20:44

I'm in a negative mood tonight and I can't help feeling that all these late goals do is paper over the cracks. Take away the Bristol City win and now the Ipswitch win and we are in the bottom, not to mention the other late goals we have scored.

Something is fundementally wrong with the way Brian sets this team up to play and his substitutions nearly always improve things. This has been going on for the entire season and nothing is improving.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Papering over the cracks....

by M-U-R-T-Y » 26 Nov 2011 20:47

Just enjoy the win. :|

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Nov 2011 20:48

Something is fundamentally wrong ????????

We outlast teams in Ali style, and there are enough George Foreman's in the Championship to fall for it.
Every one of the 90 minutes counts equally, and we've won again.

Get over it.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 26 Nov 2011 20:56

Wycombe Royal I'm in a negative mood tonight and I can't help feeling that all these late goals do is paper over the cracks. Take away the Bristol City win and now the Ipswitch win and we are in the bottom, not to mention the other late goals we have scored.

Something is fundementally wrong with the way Brian sets this team up to play and his substitutions nearly always improve things. This has been going on for the entire season and nothing is improving.

We have enough Polycell to fill any cracks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Nov 2011 20:59

Wycombe Royal I'm in a negative mood tonight and I can't help feeling that all these late goals do is paper over the cracks. Take away the Bristol City win and now the Ipswitch win and we are in the bottom, not to mention the other late goals we have scored.

We need to work on some things, but the fact we can out last team's fitness and punish them late on, finishing extremely strongly is a big positive. And it's something we've had under Brian for ages.

Disagree with you Wycombe.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Nov 2011 21:02

'Greed. We've not been outplayed by anyone really all season, probably deserved more luck than we've had so far. We'll be top half end of the season.

Maybe better if the Sig comes back.

Muguire

by Muguire » 26 Nov 2011 21:03

Mediocre side with iffy defence and lacking goalscorers = bottom third. I just hope we stay up, but ultimately, I couldn't give a f**k.

If you sell your best players and bring in third choice players to bolster your defence then quite frankly you reap what you sow. Madejski is taking this club backwards at some speed. All the hard work over the last 14 years wasted if we go back down to that sorry shit-pit of a third tier. Then try selling us you arty farty mongtard!

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 26 Nov 2011 21:08

Muguire

Mediocre side with iffy defence and lacking goalscorers = bottom third. I just hope we stay up, but ultimately, I couldn't give a f**k.

If you sell your best players and bring in third choice players to bolster your defence then quite frankly you reap what you sow. Madejski is taking this club backwards at some speed. All the hard work over the last 14 years wasted if we go back down to that sorry shit-pit of a third tier. Then try selling us you arty farty mongtard!

get out of the nags head and go home, talking about relegation when we are 3 points off the play-offs

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 26 Nov 2011 21:13

This is going to be a close division again!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Nov 2011 21:15

Chaney ...talking about relegation when we are 3 points off the play-offs

Funnily enough we're also only 5 points off the last relegation place, albeit with a relatively superior goal difference.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 27 Nov 2011 00:47

People: Lay off the gin.

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 27 Nov 2011 01:04

Got to agree tbf, whenever we've dominated a game (southampton) we'v e left with a point, or Cardiff leaving with nothing and the occasional lucky win in stoppage time. Not once this season have we won convincingly. So to stop me rambing on id be happy with a mid table finish - and keeping our squad together with a decent creative midfielder!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Nov 2011 05:10

I understand the sentiment from the OP but I think this is what you have to expect and go through when you've got a young side that's learning to play together.

This group isn't a well oiled and experienced team it's a work in progress and comebacks like yesterday and at Citeh, will give them confidence and increase their desire to play on till the last minute knowing anything can happen.

Sure we've got problems but it's a good sign to pick up points when you're not at your best.

The people talking of relegation have to get a bit of a reality check. Since Watford we've not looked outclassed or unable to beat anyone. Bar an opening minute of madness we could have won last week against the third places team and we've lost just two of 8 games versus teams in the top 10, including points against first and fourth.

Sure we could get sucked into a bit of trouble, anyone can but we've lost just twice in 11 games and have a young squad that's going to get better rather than worse. Bear in mind we're in this position DESPITE selling Long and Mills and with Kebe totally off form, why not look at what could happen if we start to click....

under the tin

by under the tin » 27 Nov 2011 09:23

Wimb This group isn't a well oiled and experienced team it's a work in progress and comebacks like yesterday and at Citeh, will give them confidence and increase their desire to play on till the last minute knowing anything can happen.

Sure we've got problems but it's a good sign to pick up points when you're not at your best.

Bear in mind we're in this position DESPITE selling Long and Mills and with Kebe totally off form, why not look at what could happen if we start to click....

Agree with this /\
I also like the "never say die" spirit in the team. How many late goals is that now?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 27 Nov 2011 09:34

Reading win 3-2 in stoppage time and fans still moan :|

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Nov 2011 09:48

under the tin
Wimb This group isn't a well oiled and experienced team it's a work in progress and comebacks like yesterday and at Citeh, will give them confidence and increase their desire to play on till the last minute knowing anything can happen.

Bear in mind we're in this position DESPITE selling Long and Mills and with Kebe totally off form, why not look at what could happen if we start to click....

Agree with this /\
I also like the "never say die" spirit in the team. How many late goals is that now?

Not forgetting the disallowed last-gasp goal at Palace

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Nov 2011 10:14

leww_rfc Reading win 3-2 in stoppage time and fans still moan :|

How often do I moan? I am pleased that we are winning matches and picking up points late in games but it is masking over the fact that in the first 70 minutes of matches we have a terrible record (I think we have only scored 5 or 6 goals prior to the 70 minute mark).

So yes it is great that we finish matches strongly but we need to address the issue of getting in front in the first place. It is what is stopping us being a top 6 side.

So apologies if some of you don't like a negative post after a win but just imagine what it would have been like on hereif we had lost yesterday. We would have 2 points outside relegation. Just a bit of persepctive that's all.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Nov 2011 10:34

Chaney
Muguire

get out of the nags head and go home, talking about relegation when we are 3 points off the play-offs

Just got to point out that isn't me.

FWIW you can't start creating alternative realities where we didn't score certain goals. We did score them and it makes no difference that they came at the end- best time to score. Thus is a mid table team and there we shall finish.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Nov 2011 10:34

I get what you are saying but....

Should of put Saints away + 2 points
Controversial goal at Palace disallowed + 2 points

List could go on and hey presto we would be in 5th position!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 Nov 2011 10:43

Lol @ the bites