Brian McDermott

TheWearing

Brian McDermott

by TheWearing » 04 Jan 2012 13:34

For me he is not getting the credit he deserves.
You never hear about him in the press, never on sky sports news. The job he has done for us since he took over from Rodgers.
When he took over we were: 20th with 23 points after losing 4-1 to Plymouth who were then relegated.
He then guided us to 9th on 63 points, 7 points adrift of the play offs.
He then guided us last season to the play off final, with limited investment.
After we lost to Man City in the FA Cup quarter finals, we had limited media coverage.
Even though we received 82 points in the last calendar league.
He is not even up for manager on the month for December! Even though we lost once and won 4 consecutive matches.
He is operating with limit funds, and the job he has done has been very impressive. He has a better win% compared to Coppell. Which is a incredible achievement (even though 2 seasons were in the premiership)
During his time as chief scout he scouted some of Reading's great players. Doyle, Lita, Long, Gunnarsson, Sigurdsson (Academy) Matt Mills, Cummings. All the coverage goes to the managers, even though he is the one who recommend then to the manager.

Perhaps McDermott prefers doing his job without getting praise or negative input from the media. Goes along with the job in the shadows.
Last edited by TheWearing on 04 Jan 2012 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian McDermott

by skipper » 04 Jan 2012 13:39

TheWearing During his time as chief scout he scouted some of Reading's great players. Doyle, Lita, Long, Gunnarsson, Sigurdsson (Academy) Matt Mills, Cummings. All the coverage goes to the managers, even though he is the one who recommend then to the manager.

I hope who ever is doing his job in his stead, is doing as good a job

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Jan 2012 13:39

oooooooh controversial :wink:

TheWearing

by TheWearing » 04 Jan 2012 13:41

skipper
TheWearing During his time as chief scout he scouted some of Reading's great players. Doyle, Lita, Long, Gunnarsson, Sigurdsson (Academy) Matt Mills, Cummings. All the coverage goes to the managers, even though he is the one who recommend then to the manager.

Our scour is Steve Shorey, father of Nicky Shorey

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 04 Jan 2012 13:43

Not sure he scouted Cummings or Matt Mills. Rodgers liked both players and bought them when he took over.

TheWearing

by TheWearing » 04 Jan 2012 13:47

Not Matt Mills! Shaun Cummings, came from Chelsea's academy, same as Plastic

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 04 Jan 2012 13:57

TheWearing Not Matt Mills! Shaun Cummings, came from Chelsea's academy, same as Plastic

Who?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Jan 2012 13:58

ryan bertrand

its a terible reference to someone who wasnt very famous when he was famous

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 04 Jan 2012 16:18

TheWearing For me he is not getting the credit he deserves.
You never hear about him in the press, never on sky sports news. The job he has done for us since he took over from Rodgers.
When he took over we were: 20th with 23 points after losing 4-1 to Plymouth who were then relegated.
He then guided us to 9th on 63 points, 7 points adrift of the play offs.
He then guided us last season to the play off final, with limited investment.
After we lost to Man City in the FA Cup quarter finals, we had limited media coverage.
Even though we received 82 points in the last calendar league.
He is not even up for manager on the month for December! Even though we lost once and won 4 consecutive matches.
He is operating with limit funds, and the job he has done has been very impressive. He has a better win% compared to Coppell. Which is a incredible achievement (even though 2 seasons were in the premiership)
During his time as chief scout he scouted some of Reading's great players. Doyle, Lita, Long, Gunnarsson, Sigurdsson (Academy) Matt Mills, Cummings. All the coverage goes to the managers, even though he is the one who recommend then to the manager.

Perhaps McDermott prefers doing his job without getting praise or negative input from the media. Goes along with the job in the shadows.

I agree with the point you're making, however most of the 'scouted players' info is incorrect. He is destined for greatness and I don't think his efforts are being completely un-noticed. For example if we get promoted or reach the play-offs again I can see other clubs sniffing around.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 04 Jan 2012 19:38

TheWearing
skipper

Our scour is Steve Shorey, father of Nicky Shorey

Not any more according to an article on OS where Eamonn Dolan mentioned he had left, not much of a fanfare thanking him. Not sure who it is now.

domo

by domo » 04 Jan 2012 22:49

Persnally I thinkhe is a genius....however if this club had any balls it would have persevered with rodgers who most in the know rate as the best manager in years..unfortuntaelty for us we are a urrounded by idiots whop want push/press football....hence where we are now

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2012 23:12

domo Persnally I thinkhe is a genius....however if this club had any balls it would have persevered with rodgers who most in the know rate as the best manager in years..unfortuntaelty for us we are a urrounded by idiots whop want push/press football....hence where we are now

was he f*ck. we were going down under him - Burns mk II. (if you're old enough to remember)

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 05 Jan 2012 01:19

leon
domo Persnally I thinkhe is a genius....however if this club had any balls it would have persevered with rodgers who most in the know rate as the best manager in years..unfortuntaelty for us we are a urrounded by idiots whop want push/press football....hence where we are now

was he f*ck. we were going down under him - Burns mk II. (if you're old enough to remember)

yes but there is no doubt that with the right squad he would have done well. you can't turn a team of long-ball players into a team of passing, possession orientated players in under 6 months. it was the right idea to sack him as he would of got us relegated before we started playing well again. besides that, he was a pcunt

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 05 Jan 2012 01:26

I like that he's not being noticed. I don't care what players leave. He is the glue that is keeping the club together, if he goes we are royally F*cked,

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 05 Jan 2012 06:30

The Weraing wrote: Perhaps McDermott prefers doing his job without getting praise or negative input from the media

McDermott gets praise from the media all the time he is an honest guy when interviewed he says it as it is.

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 05 Jan 2012 09:05

Also just been nominated for manager of the month :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Jan 2012 17:07

Brian is basically the managerial equivalent of Elm Park; a bit shabby looking but much loved by the locals.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 05 Jan 2012 17:08

Significant areas of him are exposed to the elements.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Jan 2012 17:09

Bandini Significant areas of him are exposed to the elements.

:lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2012 17:33

floyd__streete Brian is basically the managerial equivalent of Elm Park; a bit shabby looking but much loved by the locals.

Does he stink of piss and greasy food too? :wink: