No more money

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

No more money

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jan 2012 13:08

Latest News from the Chronic...

READING FC boss Brian McDermott has been told there is no more money to spend in the January transfer window.

McDermott landed free agent Karl Sheppard last week after the 21-year-old left League of Ireland champions Shamrock Rovers.

The ex-Everton trainee shunned the advances of Blackpool, Cardiff City, Watford and Peterborough to pen a two-and-a-half year deal at the Madejski Stadium.

But it appears there is little chance of McDermott adding further reinforcements to his promotion-chasing squad for the all-important run in, despite fresh rumours linking the club with a forward and a defender.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: "I really don't know if we will get anyone else in. Under the current regime, we don't look like we've got anything (money to spend) at the moment. But you never know in football and we will taking things day by day."

It could be argued Reading do not need to buy anyone this month, with McDermott's men boasting the best form in the division right now.

A run of seven wins in nine league games has catapulted them up to fifth in the table and within sight of the automatic promotion places.

Nevertheless, they continue to be linked with a string of players including Brentford centre-back Karleigh Obsorne.

Like Royals winger Jimmy Kebe, Osborne, 23, has rejected a new contract and could leave Griffin Park on a free in the summer.

With Tottenham Hotspur's Bongani Khumalo set for an imminent return to north London following an unsuccessful loan, Royals could be in the market for cover for Kaspars Gorkss and Alex Pearce.

Grimsby Town striker Liam Heard, 26, could also be interesting Royals. The prolific marksman has netted 83 goals in 130 games at non-league level, with Chelsea one of several clubs keeping tabs.

McDermott may now try and loan out some of his fringe players like Nicholas Bignall and Brian Howard, though it may make little difference to his chances of signing a new player.

"It's possible we could loan out a few more players, but I don't think it will give us much more room for manoeuvre in terms of bringing anyone in," McDermott explained.

However, news that Reading will not be selling any of their ownplayers will be music to McDermott's ears.

Kebe's future is shrouded in mystery after the 28-year-old rejected a new two-and-a-half year deal. West Ham United, Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion have been linked with the winger, who turns 28 today (Thursday).

But in last week's Chronicle, director of football Nick Hammond exclusively revealed they are under no pressure to sell Kebe.

McDermott stressed: "Jimmy has been offered his contract and now it's up to him what he does. I'm not being funny but he's got to make up his mind. I want him to stay and I've told him that, but he's got to make a decision."

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: No more money

by Wimb » 19 Jan 2012 13:12

Can't see that guy going to Chelsea somehow :|

While it's disappointing to hear stuff like this coming from the club it's also to be taken with a salt shaker full of the stuff because Brian's hardly going to come out and say he's got money to spend.

I think we'll see a loan come in maybe two.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 19 Jan 2012 13:19

I think we'll blow £3 million on a striker.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Jan 2012 13:23

Barry the bird boggler McDermott stressed: I'm not being funny

:shock:

Cypry

by Cypry » 19 Jan 2012 13:27

Hammond and McD were deep in conversation with what I can only presume are club officials (didn't recognise them but they were sat either side of SJM at the U18 game last night) when I was in the hotel bar before the game last night.
It seemed like a fairly serious conversation, but was all smiles. Hammond and McD then went on to have a fairly lengthy chat with a couple of other blokes sat on the other side of the bar, both had BIG watches (agents?). Neither looked particularly happy when McD and Hammond left them....

Couldn't draw any particular conclusion from this - did wonder if we were looking to do something then it got pulled, but like I say, Brian seemed fairly happy and relaxed so whatever had happened he appeared comfortable with it...

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Jan 2012 13:32

So we sign a free agent and we still have no money :roll:

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 19 Jan 2012 13:35

2 days ago Hammond was preaching about potential transfers and we are always looking to add. Now they are telling us there is fcuk all money, what a load sh*t!!

I'm hoping this is some tactical mind game!! Our squad is not deep enough, even though they keep saying it is!

We need another CB and another CM and if Shepp turns out to be sh*t and another ST!!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jan 2012 13:40

rfc2001 2 days ago Hammond was preaching about potential transfers and we are always looking to add. Now they are telling us there is fcuk all money, what a load sh*t!!

I'm hoping this is some tactical mind game!! Our squad is not deep enough, even though they keep saying it is!

We need another CB and another CM and if Shepp turns out to be sh*t and another ST!!

actually hammond said wed be looking to, but would have to go to the chairman to see if theres any money available.
amd brians already said wed probably have to sell before we could get anyone else in.

id imagine the conversation went:
is there any money available to sign more players john?
no, we have minus ammounts of money, and we are 5th, so why are you even asking.

Cypry

by Cypry » 19 Jan 2012 13:41

LoyalRoyalFan So we sign a free agent and we still have no money :roll:

On the basis that we made a £5M loss in the year up to June 2011, subsequently to which the accounts mention an £8M surplus on player disposals (£1M spent £9M in), then no, we have no money - we'll have £5M to balance last years loss, and £3M to partially fill this years £5M hole......

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 19 Jan 2012 13:41

Im sure there is money available if the right player becomes available for good value, by saying they have no money it puts them under little pressure if we dont get anyone, rather than coming out saying we do have money and end up getting no-one!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jan 2012 14:37

What do they mean no more money? Where's it all gone? :wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jan 2012 14:51

Having been at the game last night I think it is clear that the club’s intention going forwards is to spend money from Academy up developing young players and buying in other young players we can develop like Sheppard. This will mean that we will only have to buy the odd older player (such as Gorkks and Leg) to keep some experience in the squad.

Players like Obita and Taylor should be given a chance - rather than buying in other players.

I agree will this approach in general. My only major gripe in the last few years was the sale of Sigurdsson - whom I have little doubt would have taken us up last season if we had kept him and in any case could have been sold last summer for even more than 7M if we had not gone up. That was a VERY short sighted decision.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Jan 2012 14:53

We say this - or words to the same effect - at this time every year, and it never has any effect on whether we buy players or not.

It's a away of telling agents to f'off and to not advertise that we're looking for certain players, because that sends prices up.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2012 15:11

it's just the club telling agents we aren't paying their ridiculous prices, so if you want to deal, think about that yeh?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jan 2012 15:24

andrew1957 Having been at the game last night I think it is clear that the club’s intention going forwards is to spend money from Academy up developing young players and buying in other young players we can develop like Sheppard. This will mean that we will only have to buy the odd older player (such as Gorkks and Leg) to keep some experience in the squad.

Players like Obita and Taylor should be given a chance - rather than buying in other players.

I agree will this approach in general. My only major gripe in the last few years was the sale of Sigurdsson - whom I have little doubt would have taken us up last season if we had kept him and in any case could have been sold last summer for even more than 7M if we had not gone up. That was a VERY short sighted decision.

agreed- though id imagine he had some say in it

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Jan 2012 15:25

melonhead
andrew1957 Having been at the game last night I think it is clear that the club’s intention going forwards is to spend money from Academy up developing young players and buying in other young players we can develop like Sheppard. This will mean that we will only have to buy the odd older player (such as Gorkks and Leg) to keep some experience in the squad.

agreed- though id imagine he had some say in it

As outlined a few times already, the bid from Hoffenheim came in 9 months earlier than everyone expected it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jan 2012 15:25

Will reserve final judgement until this transfer window slams shut. However, I am far less convinced than some that this is merely a negotiating ploy. Indeed, if it is so obvious to them, then it will be even more obvious to football and Madejski savvy football clubs and agents. Therefore it's a pretty crappy negotiating technique!

Anyone who doesn't think we need to strengthen the squad to improve our chances of staying in the playoff zone and making it all the way to the PL clearly hasn't been watching RFC this season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jan 2012 15:27

RoyalBlue Will reserve final judgement until this transfer window slams shut. However, I am far less convinced than some that this is merely a negotiating ploy. Indeed, if it is so obvious to them, then it will be even more obvious to football and Madejski savvy football clubs and agents. Therefore it's a pretty crappy negotiating technique!

Anyone who doesn't think we need to strengthen the squad to improve our chances of staying in the playoff zone and making it all the way to the PL clearly hasn't been watching RFC this season.

im not sure how much it means, but svlad is correct that weve said this just in every window i can remember

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 19 Jan 2012 15:31

Basically, they get sick with being inundated with calls and faces from agents touting players. An annoncement like this helps send a message out that they're not buying - or is at least something that can be used as a defence to them.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2012 15:36

More like "we're not buying on your terms"