Joseph Mills

William Oddie

Joseph Mills

by William Oddie » 07 Feb 2012 16:00

New contract

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 62,00.html

Should be playing. Was improving game on game before injury!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Joseph Mills

by Maguire » 07 Feb 2012 16:05

I know he got a bit of stick on here but I like the look of him as a player and it was a real shame he got injured when his game was starting to improve.

More mobile than other LB options (Griff/Harte) and has the potential to be a good set-piece deliverer.

For those of us who were discussing the other day how the team is limited by the fact that the full-backs never overlap, he's an exception.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2012 16:06

Excellent. He's got plenty about him and we play a better brand of football when he's in the side. Needs to do some improving (much like Cummings did), but he'll do a good job next season with Harte as quality cover.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 Feb 2012 16:10

Ian Royal Excellent. He's got plenty about him and we play a better brand of football when he's in the side. Needs to do some improving (much like Cummings did), but he'll do a good job next season with Harte as quality cover.

I think it is far more likely that next season he'll be cover for a new left back. Can't see us renewing Harte's contract beyond this season.

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 07 Feb 2012 16:10

Harte was invaluable last season (goals scored) but has done nothing this season. Griffin has even proved to be better option at left back. Mills can definitely improve but he would be my preffered option. Much more mobile than the two OAP's.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Feb 2012 16:12

Pfffff. Looked very average and defensively suspect in his fleeting appearances earlier this season. Displayed precious little to get overly excited about. That said, he is young and perhaps will improve. He is a better prospect now than Cummings looked two seasons ago, I spose (not hard that though).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 16:15

as usual, utterly negative nonsense from floyd
played during our best unbeaten run, easily showed enough to make me believe he can be a good player, and just what we need.
plenty of room for improvement obviously, but thats whatwe are all about

great to see hes done enough the management that he def deserves the contract

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Feb 2012 16:17

William Oddie Harte was invaluable last season (goals scored) but has done nothing this season. Griffin has even proved to be better option at left back. Mills can definitely improve but he would be my preffered option. Much more mobile than the two OAP's.

:?:
He's made several key assists (Ipswich, West Ham etc) which led to us winning the game.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Feb 2012 16:18

Only 21, has pace, decent defensively. Doubt he'll be on mega wages so I think this is a good thing. Hopefully will also mean Harte is off in the summer.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Feb 2012 16:18

Maguire I know he got a bit of stick on here but I like the look of him as a player and it was a real shame he got injured when his game was starting to improve.

More mobile than other LB options (Griff/Harte) and has the potential to be a good set-piece deliverer.

For those of us who were discussing the other day how the team is limited by the fact that the full-backs never overlap, he's an exception.

Agree with most of that.

He looked a bit out of his depth to start with and needs to find a level of consistency that he didn't show before (that's during games more than from game to game). At his best he looked a very good prospect.

Shame we didn't get Cresswell when he left Tranmere for Ipswich though. He's looked very good.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Feb 2012 16:18

Pleased for him. I for one thought he did ok for us when he played.

But what I really do not understand is that if we rate Mills then why on earth did we go for Bridge on loan. I began to think this meant we intended to let Mills go in the summer. All seems very odd to me.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2012 16:19

pea
Ian Royal Excellent. He's got plenty about him and we play a better brand of football when he's in the side. Needs to do some improving (much like Cummings did), but he'll do a good job next season with Harte as quality cover.

I think it is far more likely that next season he'll be cover for a new left back. Can't see us renewing Harte's contract beyond this season.

Gunnarsson and Ingimarsson stayed on passed their "release by" date so I don't see why Harte would eb any different. Unless we can afford to bring in someone a lot better. Which remains to be seen. I think we're more likely to focus further up the pitch for signings though.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 16:22

urz13
William Oddie Harte was invaluable last season (goals scored) but has done nothing this season. Griffin has even proved to be better option at left back. Mills can definitely improve but he would be my preffered option. Much more mobile than the two OAP's.

:?:
He's made several key assists (Ipswich, West Ham etc) which led to us winning the game.

the points per game when he plays is lower than for any other FB weve played
so hed need to make a few more assist just to make it worth discussing

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 16:23

andrew1957 Pleased for him. I for one thought he did ok for us when he played.

But what I really do not understand is that if we rate Mills then why on earth did we go for Bridge on loan. I began to think this meant we intended to let Mills go in the summer. All seems very odd to me.

harte is 117 years old, and will be gone in the summer- which leaves us mills and........
plus bridge was a loan till the end of the season, and mills is a long term addition

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 07 Feb 2012 16:29

Wouldnt of been overjoyed if we had got Bridge anyway. Laughable loan spell at West Sham last year. was probably more a statement of intent than anything.

Would rather have a raw talen like Mills who isnt here for the pay cheque.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Feb 2012 16:49

A few glimmers of promise, marred by inexperience.

I'm hopeful, but I don't expect much from him yet.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 07 Feb 2012 17:14

Still wish we'd signed Harding when we had the chance

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 17:26

agreed- big miss, that one

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Feb 2012 17:28

i'm not convinced by him yet but he wont be costing us the earth so what's to lose? i don't imagine ian harte will be here next season, so mills will get a chance this summer to prove the shirt should be his and not harte's potential replacement.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 07 Feb 2012 17:34

Very happy about this. Should be in the first team IMO.

Has pace and will get better with games.