Isn't all this surreal?

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Isn't all this surreal?

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2012 11:40

I don't know about you, but this is all really surreal for me.

It's like I've woken up at the end of a great dream and suddenly we're in the Prem.

Anyone else feeling like this?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Isn't all this surreal?

by bobby1413 » 22 Apr 2012 11:42

Archie's penalty I don't know about you, but this is all really surreal for me.

It's like I've woken up at the end of a great dream and suddenly we're in the Prem.

Yes I feel like that too. Everyday in fact, and I keep remembering or reminding myself through the day

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 22 Apr 2012 11:43

Nothing surreal about it at all.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 22 Apr 2012 11:49

Back in the old days pre JM I would have given my right arm to see us in the top division playing in a large all seater stadium. in those bad old days we had a 5000 hard core support, now we have 3 times that and we will be embarking on our second adventure in the premier league in August, its almost too hard to take in and I will wake up some day and find its all been a dream.
When SJM walked through that door all those years ago and bought our club its was the best thing that as ever happened to this town, the man needs a statue so we can all remember what a great man he is.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 22 Apr 2012 12:06

Yes completely, and I'm exhausted! Almost every game since the end of January has felt like a must win, just to get us into the play-off mix and then into the top two; and then to secure promotion and finally to win the league. I am actually glad the season is all but over now. I can't take much more of this anxiety going into games. I need a summer off, enjoy the football in the Olympics and the Euros, and then look forward to the Premiership!

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 22 Apr 2012 12:15

If by surreal we mean something that seems to make sense yet doesn't --or which doesn't seem to make sense yet does-- then I'd have to back any such assertion

Either way

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 22 Apr 2012 12:18

By the way, I don't really believe in fate, God smiling on us, karma, good-guys-win, etc. Life is pitiless. But the surrealism, unreality of what has happened is underpinned by certain very real positive forces. A large number of teams in this league--maybe more than half--have not been able to compete for off-the-field-reasons to do with money issues. Portsmouth are the obvious case, because they were deducted ten points and losing players; but other teams were obviously hamstrung. Coventry were neutered; Forest could not back their managers; Watford and Palace are still compromised by the legacy of previous financial difficulties; Doncaster were forced to hire dodgy "stars" on the cheap; Hull and Derby have had to cut costs .... even Cardiff could not do what they used to do in the market. Our cloth cutting and prudent financial management paid off in the end, leaving us lean and fit, and not subject to the sapping effect of gambles gone wrong.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 22 Apr 2012 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Apr 2012 12:24

It hasn't sunk in yet and it won't until we walk out onto the pitch for the opening game of the season.

This year has been so so unexpected and that's what has made it so special.

Very much going to enjoy this summer 8)

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 22 Apr 2012 12:45

facaldaqui By the way, I don't really believe in fate, God smiling on us, karma, good-guys-win, etc. Life is pitiless. But the surrealism, unreality of what has happened is underpinned by certain very real positive forces. A large number of teams in this league--maybe more than half--have not been able to compete for off-the-field-reasons to do with money issues. Portsmouth are the obvious case, because they were deducted ten points and losing players; but other teams were obviously hamstrung. Coventry were neutered; Forest could not back their managers; Watford and Palace are still compromised by the legacy of previous financial difficulties; Doncaster were forced to hire dodgy "stars" on the cheap; Hull and Derby have had to cut costs .... even Cardiff could not do what they used to do in the market. Our cloth cutting and prudent financial management paid off in the end, leaving us lean and fit, and not subject to the sapping effect of gambles gone wrong.

Even we've been operating within stricht parameters and limitations. But Hammond, McDermott and the management team have done an outstanding job. Madejski has done an incredible job to put such great people together and instill what seems to be a fantastic environment and work culture.

Since Madejski's earlier days where he did make a few dodgy managerial appointments in the early part of his reign, such as Quinny and Gooding, Bullivant and Burns. McGhee was the exception in the early years. Since then Madejski's managerial appointments have been excellent. All his choices in the second half of his reign have gone on to have fantastic managerial careers Pardew has proven himself a great manager, Coppell a phenomenal boss, Rodgers has proven himself to be a great boss even if he wasn't so successful with us and now McDermott. Madejski has proven himself to be very good at selecting a football manager. He has learned from his early dodgy choices and selected brilliant manager after brilliant manager.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 22 Apr 2012 12:59

Top Flight
facaldaqui By the way, I don't really believe in fate, God smiling on us, karma, good-guys-win, etc. Life is pitiless. But the surrealism, unreality of what has happened is underpinned by certain very real positive forces. A large number of teams in this league--maybe more than half--have not been able to compete for off-the-field-reasons to do with money issues. Portsmouth are the obvious case, because they were deducted ten points and losing players; but other teams were obviously hamstrung. Coventry were neutered; Forest could not back their managers; Watford and Palace are still compromised by the legacy of previous financial difficulties; Doncaster were forced to hire dodgy "stars" on the cheap; Hull and Derby have had to cut costs .... even Cardiff could not do what they used to do in the market. Our cloth cutting and prudent financial management paid off in the end, leaving us lean and fit, and not subject to the sapping effect of gambles gone wrong.

Even we've been operating within stricht parameters and limitations. But Hammond, McDermott and the management team have done an outstanding job. Madejski has done an incredible job to put such great people together and instill what seems to be a fantastic environment and work culture.

Since Madejski's earlier days where he did make a few dodgy managerial appointments in the early part of his reign, such as Quinny and Gooding, Bullivant and Burns. McGhee was the exception in the early years. Since then Madejski's managerial appointments have been excellent. All his choices in the second half of his reign have gone on to have fantastic managerial careers Pardew has proven himself a great manager, Coppell a phenomenal boss, Rodgers has proven himself to be a great boss even if he wasn't so successful with us and now McDermott. Madejski has proven himself to be very good at selecting a football manager. He has learned from his early dodgy choices and selected brilliant manager after brilliant manager.

Anyone would think Sir John knew something about how to run a successful business. He may have had to learn a bit about football, but the nous and the ethics have won through.

Didn't the Mayans predict that something would happen in May that would lead to the end of the world in December? Prolly right.
This sort of season doesn't happen to clubs like Reading....not before they've been sold into foreign ownership....

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 22 Apr 2012 13:09

Wimb It hasn't sunk in yet and it won't until we walk out onto the pitch for the opening game of the season.

This year has been so so unexpected and that's what has made it so special.

Very much going to enjoy this summer 8)

I kept repeating last night with Benreading that it has been an epic season. The dam of emotion burst last night and i am sure i need a liver function test. This season has had the lot. Massive disappointment, (Stevenage was the new low), sheer delirium and pandemonium and the :| moments in the long haul around the country. Money burnt, miles crunched and the league has been slowly strangled by a team from the management down. One final party to go in Brum, then the glint of silverware. That will be the reality needed to cap this amazing season off.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Apr 2012 14:53

Absolutely. The last three months just seem to have gone in the blink of an eye and all of a sudden we're champions. West Ham and particularly Southampton look shell shocked. At the end of the game last Friday the Saints players had "WTF?" written all over their faces. If you are top of the league, and you keep on accumulating points at a rate of 2 per game, you shouldn't be overtaken by the team in 8th.

Conventional footballing wisdom suggests that what we did should have been impossible. I genuinely believe we have just re-defined the limits of credibility.

And all this came after a play-off final defeat.........

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Apr 2012 14:57

It's a pity we had to win the championship after our game had ended and we couldn't celebrate properly together at the Mad Stad.

It does seem a bit surreal. However, today I have been mostly watching Premier League live games on TV and thinking, "how the hell are we going to result against any of these teams" - however, I have faith in McD and if we can do a "Stoke" I'd be in 7th heaven!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Apr 2012 14:58

Dream on!

So then, looking forward to Millwall next Saturday, do you think we can keep Long in this window?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 22 Apr 2012 15:13

It is VERY surreal......last time we went up, I was still living in Berkshire. My Dad and I had season tickets, as we had done for many a year! In July of that year I was getting married.....Now I'm in Derbyshire and have listened to and watched most of the season from afar, as Mrs Kits had our first child in July. I've only seen us win twice this season (Burnley away, Ipswich at home)....I was at Peterboro when it looked like the wheels might fall off....I was at Forest when we lost to the worst team I saw this year (even Stevenage were better!!). I won't be there for Brum or the parade on Sunday...So from what I've seen at the games I've been to, we don't deserve to be champions....but...but....We looked imperious against Saints on TV, we out-foxed Leeds as they tried to beat the shit out of us......we have been on an unbelievable run (which I nearly scuppered by being at Donny too!!)....we may not play the best football in the division but we are the best team.....so yes...very surreal indeed!|

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Apr 2012 22:53

Top Flight
facaldaqui
Since Madejski's earlier days where he did make a few dodgy managerial appointments in the early part of his reign, such as Quinny and Gooding

that's a bit harsh. Quinn and Gooding did well keeping that team in the 2nd division for as long as they did - with very little/no investment. and Mr Mad selling the family silver as soon as it was possible.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 23 Apr 2012 11:18

leon
Top Flight
facaldaqui
Since Madejski's earlier days where he did make a few dodgy managerial appointments in the early part of his reign, such as Quinny and Gooding

that's a bit harsh. Quinn and Gooding did well keeping that team in the 2nd division for as long as they did - with very little/no investment. and Mr Mad selling the family silver as soon as it was possible.

I didn't say that quote. I was arguing the same way as you. If it hadn't been for the one-up rules that year, Gooding and Quinn would now have ultra-legendary status. How fine is the line between that and the sporadic sniping they get now, despite being given no funds, despite never getting us relegated. We got much worse after they were sacked.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 23 Apr 2012 11:23

SLAMMED Nothing surreal about it at all.

The McDermonator

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Apr 2012 11:34

Surreal, but nice.

:oops:

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 23 Apr 2012 13:08

Chaney Back in the old days pre JM I would have given my right arm to see us in the top division playing in a large all seater stadium. in those bad old days we had a 5000 hard core support, now we have 3 times that and we will be embarking on our second adventure in the premier league in August, its almost too hard to take in and I will wake up some day and find its all been a dream.
When SJM walked through that door all those years ago and bought our club its was the best thing that as ever happened to this town, the man needs a statue so we can all remember what a great man he is.

did we even have 5000 hardcore fans back then?? Home gates were rarely above that mark and away followings were rarely above 500.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1