Matthew Connolly

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Matthew Connolly

by tomrfcurz » 28 Apr 2012 19:11

Firstly, i'm really worried about this fella - he always looks so ill! He looks like a drained druggy when he plays football!

But on a more serious note... was it just me who thought he was dreadful today? Consistently out of position, i was in line with the RB position in the first half and McAnuff, Pearce and Gorkss kept on basically telling him what he needed to do and where to be, ala Tomasz Cywka (but he's an attacking midfielder not a defender!).

I'm just a little concerned as it would seem we certainly are wanting to sign him up permanently if somethings not already agreed what with him staying here in what has been quite a spell on the sidelines. I thought maybe today Cummings was carrying a knock so Connolly was risked perhaps not being 100% himself but Cummings came on and was far better, both going forward and defensively too.

I understand he's not really had the opportunity to play in his preferred position but (and i really dont want to slate him) i really am a little worried even if we play him at CB cover as i just don't think he's going to be strong enough.

I've seen enough to make me think he's not awful but i haven't seen enough to get me excited about the probable signing. Just wondering what others thoughts are on the next graduate of the QPR blue & white hoops training school > Reading.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Matthew Connolly

by PieEater » 28 Apr 2012 19:15

tomrfcurz But on a more serious note... was it just me who thought he was dreadful today?

He was poor and justifiably subbed.

I can't see how he can make any Prem team in defence. I really don't think he's good enough

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Apr 2012 19:18

he seemed pretty much resigned to not being around next season when interviewed on BBC Berks.

Kept referring to his QPR contract

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 28 Apr 2012 19:19

He won the championship playing alongside Gorkss, he can't be a bad CB. I thinkhe's just not mobile enough to play at RB, and offers nothing going forward.

The Cube

by The Cube » 28 Apr 2012 19:21

I am very concerned for him - it almost looked as if everyone knew the injuries had defeated him, and so he was allowed one last run-out in a match that didn't affect anything. Given how good he looked in his first few games, I hope instead that he just came back a bit too early.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 28 Apr 2012 19:22

Whats Griff's contract position? Is he likely cover still for Cummings next year?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 28 Apr 2012 19:23

He was fantastic before his injury, better than Cummings because although he didn't get forward much he passed the ball up field well to feet. He was rubbish today but he's probably still carrying a knock and hasn't played in a while. I'd be pleased if we signed him.

royal67

by royal67 » 28 Apr 2012 19:27

PieEater
tomrfcurz But on a more serious note... was it just me who thought he was dreadful today?

He was poor and justifiably subbed.

I can't see how he can make any Prem team in defence. I really don't think he's good enough

Couldn't agree more..... Was a little suprised to see him start TBH. Looked completely out of his depth today and even in his best pre-injury form he isn't any better than Cummings and isn't as good going forward. I won't miss him.......

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Apr 2012 19:28

Have to ask why QPR don't want him despite being in a relegation battle, big no from me. Don't think when we signed him we would be playing in the prem next year tbh.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Apr 2012 19:35

RobRoyal He won the championship playing alongside Gorkss, he can't be a bad CB. I thinkhe's just not mobile enough to play at RB, and offers nothing going forward.

Agreed

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 28 Apr 2012 19:37

paultheroyal
RobRoyal He won the championship playing alongside Gorkss, he can't be a bad CB. I thinkhe's just not mobile enough to play at RB, and offers nothing going forward.

Agreed

He has good passing to the feet of the strikers and rarely gives the ball away. Doesn't get far forward though but at least he doesn't give it away like Cummings

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Apr 2012 19:39

For me there was a total FAIL on a half hearted attempt to get back after going forward and losing the ball. IMHO even if someone is covering you should bust a gut get back, not casually jog back into position.

And for that reason I'm OUT!

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 28 Apr 2012 19:47

CayeneMatt Whats Griff's contract position? Is he likely cover still for Cummings next year?

Free I believe. He's shot and can go.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 28 Apr 2012 20:33

I thought Connolly was a class act when he first joined us, but today he was pants. Surprised it took so long for McD to sub him, I thought he'd do it at half time. On a side note, Church had his chance today, and and again I'm surprised he wasn't subbed with Hunt on - he should have grabbed it by the bollocks, and he just didnt look interested in getting the ball, and when he had it didnt do anything with it

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 28 Apr 2012 20:49

He wasn't great today granted but he's versatile and don't forget he's played a handful of games in the Prem this season already!!

Personally I would be happy if we snapped him up for a small fee (which I think we will). Decent enough squad player for us. No question.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 28 Apr 2012 20:57

robbieroyal He wasn't great today granted but he's versatile and don't forget he's played a handful of games in the Prem this season already!!

Personally I would be happy if we snapped him up for a small fee (which I think we will). Decent enough squad player for us. No question.

There are rumours tonight that we are close to signing Mariappa from Watford, and if that prooves true then I imagine our interest in Connolly ends. (not a source of mine but he says very reliable, and now various also)

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Apr 2012 20:59

Friday's Legacy
robbieroyal He wasn't great today granted but he's versatile and don't forget he's played a handful of games in the Prem this season already!!

There are rumours tonight that we are close to signing Mariappa from Watford, and if that prooves true then I imagine our interest in Connolly ends. (not a source of mine but he says very reliable, and now various also)

:!:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 28 Apr 2012 21:03

His first game back after injury so he is bound to be a bit rusty and not 100% match fit. Having said that, I think he is more a CB than a RB, but even in his preferred position, may not be quite good enough to take the step up. I would be surprised if we signed him over the summer instead of going for an established RB

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Apr 2012 07:45

Big Ern His first game back after injury so he is bound to be a bit rusty and not 100% match fit. Having said that, I think he is more a CB than a RB, but even in his preferred position, may not be quite good enough to take the step up. I would be surprised if we signed him over the summer instead of going for an established RB

1. First game in 6/7 weeks
2. First game back since nasty ankle injury
3. He is primarily a CB not a RB, yes he can do OK as a RB but is preferred as a CB

We certainly need at least one CB in the summer and therefore I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him as he gives cover anywhere along the back but he wouldn't be first choice for any position.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 29 Apr 2012 07:52

Complete numpty thread. It was his first game back after a lengthy injury and he was a little off the pace. He was playing against Andros Townsend who is very good indeed and largely kept him quiet. Job done.

If the OP is so concerned about Connolly's performance/future then I look forward to the thread about Alex Pearce looking poor everytime Nathan Redmond done him for pace.

We lost 2 goals due to the Centre Backs getting caught out and Jay Tabb playing netball in the penalty area. Nothing to do with Connolly at all.

Remember Connolly's first game after joining us was similar - solid without really looking amazing. After that he was decent.

Knee/Jerk and 'too much time on your hands' both spring to mind on this thread.

The Team Board is gonna be dire next season, when we aren't winning 60% of our games.