Best Reading game?

double d

Best Reading game?

by double d » 13 Sep 2012 16:23

What is the best game you have ever been to? A win/loss/draw, just one that was memorable.

Mine personally was the Spurs away when we lost 6-4, just a great game all round.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Best Reading game?

by Fox Talbot » 13 Sep 2012 16:37

Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in 1985.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 13 Sep 2012 16:38

Fox Talbot Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in 1985.

+1

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Sep 2012 16:47

21.12.85 Reading 4 Plymouth 3

double d

by double d » 13 Sep 2012 16:50

seems a popular choice. what was great about this game? Obviously a 4-3 is always a great game anyway but I would like to know the details.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 13 Sep 2012 16:52

Doncaster Rovers 2 - 3 Reading 1984 Belle Vue.

Remember it being a cracker. I'm pretty certain that Lawrie Sanchez was on the scoresheet.
(I think the season earlier was a 7-5 reverse scoreline).
Last edited by Royalclapper on 13 Sep 2012 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Sep 2012 16:56

double d seems a popular choice. what was great about this game? Obviously a 4-3 is always a great game anyway but I would like to know the details.

Half time

Reading 0-2 Plymouth

After 60 mins

Reading 0-3 Plymouth

After 81 mins

Reading 1-3 Plymouth

Last 9 mins saw 3 goals for Reading and a Plymouth sending off in the dying moments....

Reading 4-3 Oxford in driving rain in about 2000 was pretty good, also Exeter 4-6 Reading in 1993.

double d

by double d » 13 Sep 2012 17:06

wow that does sound like a good game. Slightly unrelated but still for the record, my favorite ever game (not live it was on TV lol) that I saw was Angola vs Mali, ended 4-4. With 11 minutes left it was 4-0 to Angola. 2 minutes left it was 4-1, and in the last few minutes Mali scored 3 times!!!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 13 Sep 2012 18:09

Barry the bird boggler
double d seems a popular choice. what was great about this game? Obviously a 4-3 is always a great game anyway but I would like to know the details.

Half time

Reading 0-2 Plymouth

After 60 mins

Reading 0-3 Plymouth

After 81 mins

Reading 1-3 Plymouth

Last 9 mins saw 3 goals for Reading and a Plymouth sending off in the dying moments....

Top of the table clash - Plymouth unbeaten in 3 months. The most astonishing last 10 minutes you've ever seen. Imagine Reading - Wigan 2001 x 2.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2012 18:35

Beating Bolton 2-1 in April 1995.

Midweek evening kick-off (which Elm Park often did better than MS manages to do now), EP was rammed and hundreds were LOLocked out before kick-off.

Two in-form teams went at it like a couple of hormonal teenagers who've just found out what their sexual organs are for, we ripped them open over and over again, Archie got an early one, they levelled in a fortunate manner in the second half, Simon Osbourne made a memorable goal-line clearance from an Alan Stubbs free-kick, then right at the end of a match in which the home support had sung itself hoarse, Gooding slipped Nogan through for the winner.

I've felt euphoric at Reading matches since then but never as much as at that moment.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Sep 2012 18:36

Cannot think of a game that comes anywhere close to that Plymouth game. Just an astonishing turn around.

First versus second as Plymouth arrived on the back of an impressive fourteen-match unbeaten run. Plymouth took an early lead through Lee Hodges and extended the lead with a Steve Cooper penalty on the stroke of half-time. John Clayton made it three just after half-time and at that point several people around us on the Tilehurst End left. What happened next changed the game.

Ian Branfoot replaced the ineffective Michael Gilkes with Glen Burvill and Kevin Bremner went up front. 'Mad Max' immediately made an impact. In the 65th minute he was brought down in the box and Dean Horrix made it 1-3. In the 79th minute, a Bremner run and cross from the right was pushed home by Trevor Senior. Then, a minute later, he headed on a Gary Peters free kick and Senior looped a header over the keeper to make it 3-3 and it was pandemonium. Roared on by a crowd sensing victory and Argyle players looking like rabbits caught in headlights, Bremner forced home the winner in the 83rd minute after Senior's shot had been blocked.

Three goals in four minutes and as Andy Rogers ran the ball into the corner flag in front of the South Bank, Gorden Nisbet earned a red card for trying to lump Rogers into the crowd.

By this time we were going rabid on the Tilehurst End and I was literally shaking when the final whistle blew. We could not believe what we had just witnessed. Me and my uncle stumbled up to the supporters' club shed at the top of the terrace to get coach tickets for the Bournemouth and Bristol Rovers Christmas away matches.

Without doubt the greatest game I have ever witnessed.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2012 18:47

Ark Royal Cannot think of a game that comes anywhere close to that Plymouth game. Just an astonishing turn around.

First versus second as Plymouth arrived on the back of an impressive fourteen-match unbeaten run. Plymouth took an early lead through Lee Hodges and extended the lead with a Steve Cooper penalty on the stroke of half-time. John Clayton made it three just after half-time and at that point several people around us on the Tilehurst End left. What happened next changed the game.

Ian Branfoot replaced the ineffective Michael Gilkes with Glen Burvill and Kevin Bremner went up front. 'Mad Max' immediately made an impact. In the 65th minute he was brought down in the box and Dean Horrix made it 1-3. In the 79th minute, a Bremner run and cross from the right was pushed home by Trevor Senior. Then, a minute later, he headed on a Gary Peters free kick and Senior looped a header over the keeper to make it 3-3 and it was pandemonium. Roared on by a crowd sensing victory and Argyle players looking like rabbits caught in headlights, Bremner forced home the winner in the 83rd minute after Senior's shot had been blocked.

Three goals in four minutes and as Andy Rogers ran the ball into the corner flag in front of the South Bank, Gorden Nisbet earned a red card for trying to lump Rogers into the crowd.

By this time we were going rabid on the Tilehurst End and I was literally shaking when the final whistle blew. We could not believe what we had just witnessed. Me and my uncle stumbled up to the supporters' club shed at the top of the terrace to get coach tickets for the Bournemouth and Bristol Rovers Christmas away matches.

Without doubt the greatest game I have ever witnessed.

I recall that this wasn't a well received move at the time - Branfoot got a load of abuse when making the substitution, although most of us had forgiven him by the end of the match.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 13 Sep 2012 18:52

Any win against Swindon or Oxford.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Sep 2012 19:00

Slough 3 - 3 Reading

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 Sep 2012 19:15

Has to be the Simod semi against Coventry. EP packed to the rafters. Late kick off extra time and winning a penalty shoot out after being 2 down at one stage. Gilkes pen has to be the best I have ever seen to win a shoot out. Q mass pitch invasion our first trip to Wembley and the rest as they say is history.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Sep 2012 19:25

bobbybottler Beating Bolton 2-1 in April 1995.

Midweek evening kick-off (which Elm Park often did better than MS manages to do now), EP was rammed and hundreds were LOLocked out before kick-off.

Two in-form teams went at it like a couple of hormonal teenagers who've just found out what their sexual organs are for, we ripped them open over and over again, Archie got an early one, they levelled in a fortunate manner in the second half, Simon Osbourne made a memorable goal-line clearance from an Alan Stubbs free-kick, then right at the end of a match in which the home support had sung itself hoarse, Gooding slipped Nogan through for the winner.

I've felt euphoric at Reading matches since then but never as much as at that moment.

That was an INCREDIBLE game. I don't think it was midweek though - have it in my head they moved it to a Friday night for reasons I never quite fathomed. We were worried we'd get locked out so just marched through the crowds outside the Southbank going "season tickets, season tickets" then dived in a turnstile.

Oh and Osborn's header off the line was from a Stubbs header off a corner in the second half (although Stubbs did strike a decent free-kick in the first half which Shaka saved)

Amazing stuff, those were the days etc

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Sep 2012 19:28

bobbybottler Beating Bolton 2-1 in April 1995.

Think a lot of Reading fans would admit that Bolton were the better team that night and they were by far the best team I had seen that season. Reading did well to stay in the game thanks to Shaka. Walking up by Prospect Park with some Bolton fans after the game, we all admitted that we would not like to play each other again in the play-offs. A great night; and for the record, it was a Friday night and it was Simon Osborn's pass that put Nogs in for the winner.

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 13 Sep 2012 19:31

Forest away 4-3 win season before last. Now that was a mental game.

Turnball ACs

by Turnball ACs » 13 Sep 2012 19:33

Remember that Bolton game. My mate had a season ticket but was locked out, so at half time we opened the South Bank turnstiles and let everyone in!!

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2012 19:34

Did I get any of it right? We did win 2-1, yeah?