Old adage

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Old adage

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Dec 2012 14:03

Is the old adage that "which ever team is bottom of the Premier League table on Christmas Day gets relegated" still holding true? Given our next two games are Arsenal and and Manchester City I reckon there's a very good chance that Reading could find themselves in that position .

Rusty royal

Re: Old adage

by Rusty royal » 13 Dec 2012 14:08

We will be bottom from this weekend on if rangers beat fulham :(

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Dec 2012 14:53

Barry the bird boggler Is the old adage that "which ever team is bottom of the Premier League table on Christmas Day gets relegated" still holding true? Given our next two games are Arsenal and and Manchester City I reckon there's a very good chance that Reading could find themselves in that position .

No, it was broken a few years ago, so it's not even true anymore.

jellytot

by jellytot » 13 Dec 2012 15:01

Alexander Litvinenko
Barry the bird boggler Is the old adage that "which ever team is bottom of the Premier League table on Christmas Day gets relegated" still holding true? Given our next two games are Arsenal and and Manchester City I reckon there's a very good chance that Reading could find themselves in that position .

Anyway, teams go down if they are shit! AND we are very shit!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Dec 2012 15:02

We're doing better than that - we're getting shitter with every game that passes!

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 13 Dec 2012 15:44

Alexander Litvinenko

I wouldn't call happening once in 20 years broken.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 13 Dec 2012 17:20

Bottom at xmas or not, we're totally phucked this season. You don't get out of messes like this when the manager loses the dressing room. Either he goes, or all the bad apples have too, and we can't afford the latter.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Dec 2012 17:26

Oh get over it, we may still stay up. We've only been smashed by Tottenham and Sunderland, at their best our players are no worse than Villa, QPR, Norwich and Southampton etc.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 13 Dec 2012 17:31

Royal Ginger Oh get over it, we may still stay up.

:lol:

Ok, so glance at the remaining fixtures and pick out 10 wins please? Cheers.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Dec 2012 17:34

Would you have picked us for champions last season when we were second bottom? would you have picked us to beat Everton? Would you have put picked Greece to win the Euros? Of course you wouldn't, stranger things have happened in football then little Reading nicking a few unexpected scalps.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 13 Dec 2012 17:37

Royal Ginger Would you have picked us for champions last season when we were second bottom? would you have picked us to beat Everton? Would you have put picked Greece to win the Euros? Of course you wouldn't, stranger things have happened in football then little Reading nicking a few unexpected scalps.

We didn't have several members of the team at the managers throat then though did we? What happens when the players don't back the manager, or even each other? They don't give their all, that's what. What happens when there's a change of manager? Suddenly everyone regroups and more often than not they up their effort levels. That said, we've still left it too late even if we do part ways with McDermott.

Pick ten wins from the remaining fixtures please...

_royal

by _royal » 13 Dec 2012 17:39

Royal Ginger Would you have picked us for champions last season when we were second bottom? would you have picked us to beat Everton? Would you have put picked Greece to win the Euros? Of course you wouldn't, stranger things have happened in football then little Reading nicking a few unexpected scalps.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Dec 2012 17:39

It might not take a change of manager for everyone to pull together, and no i won't jump through your hoops, the point is that we could beat anyone with a bit of luck.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 13 Dec 2012 17:44

Royal Ginger It might not take a change of manager for everyone to pull together, and no i won't jump through your hoops, the point is that we could beat anyone with a bit of luck.

Not a chance, not when the team is at each others throats. It never ends well. I applaud you for being so hopeful though.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Dec 2012 17:46

SPARTA
Royal Ginger It might not take a change of manager for everyone to pull together, and no i won't jump through your hoops, the point is that we could beat anyone with a bit of luck.

Not a chance, not when the team is at each others throats. It never ends well. I applaud you for being so hopeful though.

And as long as the squad is in this funk i agree that there's little hope.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Dec 2012 22:04

The fixtures look way too evil IMO now. In reality we need 3-4 'shock' results now.

Has anyone seen the fixtures for March? Everton, Utd & Arsenal away. Ouch.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 Dec 2012 22:09

_royal

Motivational fisting.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 14 Dec 2012 16:24

"we're gonna win the league..........

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Dec 2012 06:35

With our current plight causing me to take up a serious crack cocaine habit, I now firmly believe that the League Table is up-side-down, and we will overhaul QPR within weeks and be crowned Champions by the end of the season.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

bottom at christmas

by weybridgewanderer » 15 Dec 2012 16:19

How often has the team bottom at christmas avoided relegation?