The Obvious Problems Thread

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

The Obvious Problems Thread

by SPARTA » 17 Dec 2012 22:40

1. Leigertwood starting every fricking week. Undroppable.
2. McAnuff playing in the middle. WTF? It doesn't give us anything! Also undroppable.
3. We need a creative midfielder. Oh, we have one. "We've drawn a line under it and moved on" but still he doesn't play.
4. Our best centre back can't get a game because he wont sign a new contract...
5. Long fricking pingpong football.
6. Not knowing your best team when you're almost halfway through the season. You can't build anything without a settled team!

I'm sure I've missed an awful lot.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: The Obvious Problems Thread

by TBM » 17 Dec 2012 22:42

A manager clueless about tactics when things need changing

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Dec 2012 22:44

Beat me to it, TBM.

McDermott is a reactive manager, and very slow to do so. We looked like we might be getting a foothold in the game at 2-4, so straight away Wenger replaced a tiring Ox with Ramsay and the game was theirs again.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2012 22:45

SPARTA I'm sure I've missed an awful lot.

Start with a premiership quality back 4 plus keeper.

Then a defensive holding player.

Then midfield/wide players that can hold and pass the ball.

The Premiership....... the league where money has ruined the beautiful game.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Dec 2012 22:46

cmonurz Beat me to it, TBM.

McDermott is a reactive manager, and very slow to do so. We looked like we might be getting a foothold in the game at 2-4, so straight away Wenger replaced a tiring Ox with Ramsay and the game was theirs again.

What's Arsenal making a change got to do with McDermott as a manager? You could just have easily have said "McDermott brings on ALF and HRK, one scores and one gets an assist"

It's not even that I necessarily disagree with you, just don't really see the point here.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Dec 2012 22:49

Maguire
cmonurz Beat me to it, TBM.

What's Arsenal making a change got to do with McDermott as a manager? You could just have easily have said "McDermott brings on ALF and HRK, one scores and one gets an assist"

It's not even that I necessarily disagree with you, just don't really see the point here.

Comparing Wenger's very quick change when things started going against them with McDermott being generally slow to make tactical changes.

Yes, you could make that comment about McDermott - but there's a world of difference between making a change as the opposition threatens to come back into the game (how we could have done with a tactical shift against Arsenal in the cup, for example), and throwing two new attackers on at 4-0 down.

murof

by murof » 18 Dec 2012 00:57

Brian doesn't seem to know how to deal with the obvious defensive deficiencies. Cummins was completely exposed all night, their left winger had so much space and time it was ridiculous. Cummins for some reason was constantly covering the centre back position instead of covering his own position, hence the reason for the easy goals.
Brians solution to the calamitous defending? Bring on 2 attackers.
what he should have done was to address Cummins' shortcomings before half time, as it was clear that it was a fruitful channel for Arsenal. What was he waiting for, did he think that Cummins would suddenly turn into a premier league class player and do his job properly?
Federici is a good shot stopper, but tactically at corners and free kicks he is useless. (had a good game today though)
I've said a number of times that Gorks is a massive liability and is not a premier league player.
Leighterwood I think has had enough chances to prove quality but has failed miserably.
McAnuff has potential, but unfortunately he tries a little too muchso there is never an end product
HRK should not start a premier league match (but he can make a useful contribution as a substitute)
Forget Jason Roberts, he doesn't have anything to offer that we can't get from the other attackers.
All our problems stem from disastrous defending and poor midfield. This also has a knock-on effect on our attackers as they end up playing too deep to be effective

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 18 Dec 2012 01:01

SPARTA 1. Leigertwood starting every fricking week. Undroppable.
2. McAnuff playing in the middle. WTF? It doesn't give us anything! Also undroppable.
3. We need a creative midfielder. Oh, we have one. "We've drawn a line under it and moved on" but still he doesn't play.
4. Our best centre back can't get a game because he wont sign a new contract...
5. Long fricking pingpong football.
6. Not knowing your best team when you're almost halfway through the season. You can't build anything without a settled team!

I'm sure I've missed an awful lot.

NOEL HUNT

dragpeace

by dragpeace » 18 Dec 2012 01:09

7. Injuries.

Missing Karacan basically all season has been a problem, and Morrison going down when he seemed to be growing into the roll didn't help at all. Who knows if having Kebe all season would have made a difference but, at this stage, I suppose you just assume he's injured most of the time. The McCarthy injury was bad timing, although Feds hasn't been the biggest problem since then.

Of course, if Karacan was healthy, BM would probably be playing him with Leigertwood, so maybe it wouldn't help if he was available. I really don't understand the loyalty there. :roll:

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 18 Dec 2012 01:40

Were shit

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 18 Dec 2012 01:42

There are clearly many problems. The formation and tactics is definitely one. We play direct like Stoke or West Ham but we don't have the strength and physicality those sides do (N'Zonzi, Walters, Jones, Diame, Nolan, Cole, Noble etc), and neither are we compact enough. Our style of football is only gonna be succesful (relatively) at this level if you have those foundations (structure, discipline, physical strength) which we don't have.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 18 Dec 2012 04:50

We're too small
We're not athletic enough
We're not talented enough
We're not playing as a team
We're carrying too many (mainly older) players who cannot perform at this level anymore, and are often not even making the bench, whom are taking up roster spots and limiting our options
There seems to be little communication on the pitch
There seems to be little cohesion amongst the squad
There seems to be little desire to make the decisions/spend the money required to fix the above problems

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 18 Dec 2012 05:37

The manager, the owner and the players.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 18 Dec 2012 06:08

One thing we can all agree on is that the squad is just not good enough for this level. However, we could at least set the team up to try and contain the opposition, keep the score down and then you never know what could happen. The Arsenal game was a classic example, they way the team was set up in the first half was laughable, I don't think I've ever seen a more one-sided game. Arsenal are a great team when they are on song, but they are NOT Barcelona!
I'm a bit concerned as well that certain players seem to have it written into their contracts that they can never be dropped. There can be no other possible explanation for it.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1