Is Pog starting to produce the goods for us?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Is Pog starting to produce the goods for us?

by rhroyal » 01 Jan 2013 21:31

2 goals in 2 games suggests yes, obviously. But more than this, he was creating chances for himself today. Bullying defenders, working hard and what few bright moments we had nearly all came through his work.

He's working hard for the team, holding the ball up well when he gets it to feet and looks like he could bag a few goals in current form. I didn't think he'd have the fight for a relegation battle; his body language earlier in the season suggested to me he was thinking "What the hell have I done coming here?!", with nonchalant goal celebrations too. But now he's getting more a run in the team he really seems to care, and I think is doing a decent job as the lone front man.

I don't think we need a new striker; Pog and Alf are useful and Hunt and Roberts as squad players. It's the service and support which is the issue. Hopefully Carrico will help us keep the ball better in midfield and hence build more attacks, but we need more creativity too. I think if we can fix the midfield, we have enough up front.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Is Pog starting to produce the goods for us?

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Jan 2013 21:33

Think he's always been good TBF. Didn't ever really get the hatred on here. Quite obviously the best player on our books.

The Royal

by The Royal » 01 Jan 2013 21:37

With the right kind of service he will score, no doubt about that

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Jan 2013 21:38

Ilve always thought he looks at home at this level but has not recieved the service he needs. I know Ideal canlt stand him, but I think he is one of the few players we have on the books that are true Prem class. A bit more quality in the final third and he would get more goals for us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2013 21:46

He's doing what he's always done. Worked hard on scraps and scored a good proportion of the few shots he gets off.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 01 Jan 2013 21:48

Big Ern Ilve always thought he looks at home at this level but has not recieved the service he needs. I know Ideal canlt stand him, but I think he is one of the few players we have on the books that are true Prem class. A bit more quality in the final third and he would get more goals for us.

IDEAL doesn`t like anyone does he?

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 01 Jan 2013 22:03

Ian Royal He's doing what he's always done. Worked hard on scraps and scored a good proportion of the few shots he gets off.

Best conversion rate in the EPL in 2012 scoring 37.5% of shots. Prolific.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Jan 2013 22:34

RFCSPACE
Ian Royal He's doing what he's always done. Worked hard on scraps and scored a good proportion of the few shots he gets off.

Which suggests that not enough chances are being created. I read somewhere that Spurs had 30 shots on goal. That's one every 3 minutes. Has any Reading player had 30 shots at goal in the season so far?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jan 2013 22:37

Terminal Boardom
RFCSPACE

Which suggests that not enough chances are being created. I read somewhere that Spurs had 30 shots on goal. That's one every 3 minutes. Has any Reading player had 30 shots at goal in the season so far?

ALF has had the most shots for us, so depends on what he's had.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Jan 2013 23:07

He's a very good player, it's just very hard playing up front by yourself in a side lacking quality.

He even said earlier this season he had the likes of Dempsey and Dembele around him last year so it's a little different playing for Reading.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 02 Jan 2013 02:23

he has always been good for us, we just dont know how to play to his strengths. i dont think he plays as well in a 442 with another striker. it seems most of his goals have come from the 451 being the lone striker.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 02 Jan 2013 09:23

Is it any coincidence that Pog looks best when our midfield plays well? No. He is a striker, a goalscorer, not a forward like we have been used to in the Hunt or Roberts role. Give him chances and support him and he will score goals, if only we had someone effective in the ‘false 10’ role, Pog would score every game.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 02 Jan 2013 09:31

Maguire He's a very good player, it's just very hard playing up front by yourself in a side lacking quality.

He even said earlier this season he had the likes of Dempsey and Dembele around him last year so it's a little different playing for Reading.

Yes quite right. He looked like he was doing all the work yesterday. Kebe tried to feed him a bit but he really needs more support.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 02 Jan 2013 09:46

I think hes always worked really hard without showing an attitude, apart from maybe a few bad cameos off the bench.

I think the main issue is no one getting close to him in 4-5-1, and lack of a partnership up front in 4-4-2.

My preference would be dropping that lightweight primadonna Guthrie and putting HRK in the middle, with instructions to feed off the flicks and drive like mad at the opposition. HRKs got the best touch in the squad and is a good finisher, should be in our first XI for me.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Jan 2013 09:50

If Rogic is good enough, perhaps he'll create the chances are defensive midfielders cannot.

I'm hoping we are aiming for a 4-2-3-1 formation with the signings we've made.

Can't see Karacan or Leigertwood getting into the side unless Carrico is a flop or we get rid of Guthrie though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Jan 2013 10:57

Z175 HRKs got the best touch in the squad

I think this is obviously false. That title goes to Roberts; HRK is nowhere near.

Whenever HRK has played centrally before, he has not looked nearly as effective as when he has been coming inside from the flanks. The middle is more congested and you cannot rely on pace and strength alone to get past people.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Jan 2013 11:00

SCIAG
Z175 HRKs got the best touch in the squad

I think this is obviously false. That title goes to Roberts; HRK is nowhere near

Roberts?!?!?!?!?!

Appalling touch. HRK is good at bringing a ball down. Shorey is excellent. Guthrie probably as well.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Jan 2013 11:02

Leigertwood I reckon.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 02 Jan 2013 11:24

He takes his goals well.Was a very cool and calm finish for his goal against West Ham

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 02 Jan 2013 11:40

No better than what anyone else has in this league up front. Doing a good job though given the circumstances of his position in being isolated a lot of the time.