Well done McDermott and Hammond - Positive transfer window

183 posts
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Well done McDermott and Hammond - Positive transfer window

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Jan 2013 23:53

Added 4 players to the squad, all of varying qualities and one or two of them have already proved their worth.

We haven't lost any big players. Another window where our best players haven't been sold.

We have tried to bring in Tom Ince, but ultimately failed, but that quietens down anyone who might question McDermott's transfer policy.

Onwards and upwards!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Well done McDermott and Hammond - Positive transfer wind

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2013 00:01

Agreed with that generally but I'm not falling for the Ince stuff!! Kelly & Akpan look great buys though.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Feb 2013 00:10

Its a shambles - they are letting our last 5 results over-shadow the real issue

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:12

MmmMonsterMunch Agreed with that generally but I'm not falling for the Ince stuff!!

You genuinely think that RFC have orchestrated all the media stuff over the last week or so to make a few hundred fans who actually bother following all the rumours on twitter/HNA a little happier :?:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2013 00:15

winchester_royal
MmmMonsterMunch Agreed with that generally but I'm not falling for the Ince stuff!!

You genuinely think that RFC have orchestrated all the media stuff over the last week or so to make a few hundred fans who actually bother following all the rumours on twitter/HNA a little happier :?:

I think we publicised our interest in Ince & put in a cheeky offer that was refused & that was the end of it. I don't believe we have offered silly money for him no.

Wouldn't surprise me if this 'record' deal was someone else as the Ince deal seems to have been dead all along.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:17

MmmMonsterMunch
winchester_royal

I think we publicised our interest in Ince & put in a cheeky offer that was refused & that was the end of it. I don't believe we have offered silly money for him no.

Wouldn't surprise me if this 'record' deal was someone else as the Ince deal seems to have been dead all along.

So you think that Brian and Nicky have been sitting around twiddling their thumbs all day and cleverly delayed the announcement of no further business to make it look like we were trying right till the very end of the window :?:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2013 00:18

Oh well. We can still stay up, but if we had added that one additional piece (CAM) I would have bet money on us staying up.

Window is closed, a bit disappointed but as the saying in these parts goes...we move on.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2013 00:21

So you think that Brian and Nicky have been sitting around twiddling their thumbs all day and cleverly delayed the announcement of no further business to make it look like we were trying right till the very end of the window :?:[/quote]

No - where did I say that?? I'm sure they have tried to do something but I think the Ince thing was a cheeky punt blown out of proportion. As I just said, the 'record' deal is probably someone else.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:23

MmmMonsterMunch
No - where did I say that?? I'm sure they have tried to do something but I think the Ince thing was a cheeky punt blown out of proportion. As I just said, the 'record' deal is probably someone else.

You seemed to be implying that Nicky's statement tonight was a work of propaganda rather than honesty, apologies if I misunderstood.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Feb 2013 00:28

winchester_royal
MmmMonsterMunch

You seemed to be implying that Nicky's statement tonight was a work of propaganda rather than honesty, apologies if I misunderstood.

Not at all - I just think they purposely tried to whip the fans into a frenzy over the Ince deal by making it public that we'd made a bid (even if the bid was derisory & Blackpool had told us to fcuk off). BM also talked about him on SSN which isn't the way we do things normally. I do believe they did that to 'prove' to the fans they have intent to stay up or whatever else you'd call it.

I do believe they've tried to do something else tonight - I don't see why they'd lie. Mind you a Reading 'record' would only be £2.51m. :wink:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:29

LoyalRoyalFan We have tried to bring in Tom Ince, but ultimately failed, but that quietens down anyone who might question McDermott's transfer policy.

Does it fuck.

Words are empty, actions are everything. We may have talked about signing Tom Ince but we didn't. To use such a failure as some sort of evidence of ambition is ludicrous.

All those people who declared "we will strengthen in January" we're wrong. We'd best just hope that the "play shit for 85 mins then score 2 goals" tactic works every week.........

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:34

IIRC, they were linked with Ince in the press and when asked all Brian said was that we were interested. Hardly a move from the Redknapp manual of transfer tactics.

I'd be amazed if Brian actually thought to himself a few days ago that it would be a good idea to exaggerate our interest in Ince just to appease a few vocal mongs on the internet..especially given recent results. There's been very little negativity in the stands regarding our transfer activity, no such PR stunts were needed.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 01 Feb 2013 00:36

At least they didn't leave Ince waiting in his car outside ...

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Feb 2013 01:00

LoyalRoyalFan Added 4 players to the squad, all of varying qualities and one or two of them have already proved their worth.

We haven't lost any big players. Another window where our best players haven't been sold because nobody wanted them.

We have failed miserably to bring in Tom Ince, but ultimately failed, but that leaves questions about the clubs transfer policies..

Onwards and downwards!

Corrected for you.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 01 Feb 2013 01:09

Considering what we needed and what we got, it's been an entirely mediocre transfer window. Kelly looks solid and Akpan was good in the BRIEF bit of time he played on Wednesday. The chap form Porto was shit and we havent bought an attacking midfielder and if The Pog injures himself collapsing in a heap we are going to have to rely on Hunt or this chap from Sheffield that no ones ever heard of to keep us up.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 01 Feb 2013 01:18

Scutterbucketz if The Pog injures himself collapsing in a heap we are going to have to rely on Hunt or this chap from Sheffield that no ones ever heard of to keep us up.

He could be another Le fondre just waiting to blosom or he could just be shit. Stay tuned, Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel.
Last edited by BenReadingFC on 01 Feb 2013 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Feb 2013 01:19

Scutterbucketz Considering what we needed and what we got, it's been an entirely mediocre transfer window.

Perhaps it comes down whose opinion carries the most weight..................................those who had us relegated weeks ago or, the manager who removed the same team from the relegation zone with a draw against the European Champions, thanks to a brace created and scored by 2 players each signed for 300k.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2013 01:30

Woodcote Royal
Scutterbucketz Considering what we needed and what we got, it's been an entirely mediocre transfer window.

Perhaps it comes down whose opinion carries the most weight..................................those who had us relegated weeks ago or, the manager who removed the same team from the relegation zone with a draw against the European Champions, thanks to a brace created and scored by 2 players each signed for 300k.

Out of the relation zone but firmly entrenched in the relegation fight.

Let's see if these cheap 300k signings can keep us out before we judge eh?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Feb 2013 01:31

Scutterbucketz Considering what we needed and what we got, it's been an entirely mediocre transfer window

Depends how you look at it. Many on here quite rightly said that this transfer window would determine how seriously the club would try and stay in the Premiership. I think it is fair to say all signings were made with a view to a season in the Chump next year, in which case we have done alright.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2013 06:13

My final thought on this window for right now is, no matter how much I/others would have liked to seen us pick up one more player...I would much rather be a Reading fan than a QPR fan right now. This isn't gonna turn out well for them...not that I will be shedding any tears for them when that happens.

183 posts