Zingarevich

292 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Zingarevich

by genome » 26 Mar 2013 10:17

Ok, should probably keep this separate from Nigel's thread, don't want to hijack it.

Anyone else think he didn't particularly come off well there? Seemed stressed, mumbled, a bit exasperated.

Critical of Brian for not spending enough in January, so I assume there was plenty of money available. Hammond also gave the same impression. And no scouting done in the summer, which was a bit confusing. Madejski certainly seemed to deflect questions back to him.

Expect a nice war chest in the summer then, Anton!

RedRum

Re: Zingarevich

by RedRum » 26 Mar 2013 10:19

Think its well known that Anton doesn't really like media attention that much. Just seemed nervous and under pressure by some pretty forward questions. Think he said the right stuff though.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Mar 2013 10:21

No not really, he just wants to avoid the obvious spin the media want to put on things and does not want to talk about the past and whether he should have put more money up or whether the money was there and Brian just didn't choose to make use of it. All that sort of talk is just decisive at the moment.

yappy

by yappy » 26 Mar 2013 10:22

He's received a fair bit of bad press for the sacking of McDermott. The way it's been portrayed by the media is that Anton let Brian down by not giving him the funds to spend, so I think he just wanted to put his version of events across.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 26 Mar 2013 10:24

The no scouting comment was a bit odd. One I hope Fordham will follow up on before he leaves the E-Po.

But I'd guess it's mostly that our scouting was confined to lower league players - remember that prior to Xmas last season we were just an also-ran in the Championship. Scouting prem quality players would have been a bit silly.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 26 Mar 2013 10:25

Scouting seemed confined to teams we played in the FA cup...

under the tin

by under the tin » 26 Mar 2013 10:27

It was obviously awkward for him.
The statement that "no scouting was done in the summer" is a tacit admission that the club went into the new season unprepared. That's not an easy thing to do in front of TV cameras.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 10:27

He was under a bit of an attack, and handled it ok, all things considered.

If you look back at the way Madejski has stumbled his way through press conferences and interviews in the recent past, with years of experience of it and being able to cut his teeth whilst dealing only with the local media back in his early days, and Zingaravich did alright. Madejski would often make little gaffs or give answers you just knew would have Hammond, Howe, McDermott, Coppell etc etc cringing.

I should think he's not used to being spoken to quite so directly and not being able to answer back in kind so was probably fighting the urge to have the guy knee capped.

Madejski didn't sound happy though. I don't think he enjoys not being in control or the centre of attention.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Mar 2013 10:30

under the tin It was obviously awkward for him.
The statement that "no scouting was done in the summer" is a tacit admission that the club went into the new season unprepared. That's not an easy thing to do in front of TV cameras.

As has been said elsewhere, the scouting had focussed on players for next season In Championship as that was the expectation last season - you can't scout players in the off-season remember! (watching you tube and playing championship manager don't count)

under the tin

by under the tin » 26 Mar 2013 10:34

Royalwaster

As has been said elsewhere, the scouting had focussed on players for next season In Championship as that was the expectation last season - you can't scout players in the off-season remember! (watching you tube and playing championship manager don't count)

Didn't seem to stop Adkins last summer when still at Saints, did it?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 10:35

He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now. Thought he came out of it very well tbh.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 10:37

We'll never know who's decision it was not to spend

Or if AZ just didn't communicate how much there was to spend effectively either

We move on...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 10:38

under the tin
Royalwaster

Didn't seem to stop Adkins last summer when still at Saints, did it?

We had to completely reign in our scouting set up before AZ came in. Hence we had no background of scouting information in Europe in the summer. It takes time to rebuild such a network, which we are doing, but it meant we were limited last summer. Saints didn't have the financial limitations we had under SJM so had a decent European scouting network.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 10:56

If only we had a scout who was as effective as the bloke we had a few years ago, the one that managed the reserves...

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 26 Mar 2013 11:05

TFF The no scouting comment was a bit odd.

Not really, and it explains us appointing Fulham's chief scout a few months ago...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2013 11:24

Who scouted Carrico then? :wink:

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 26 Mar 2013 11:28

Dave Youtube

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Mar 2013 11:44

winchester_royal He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

not clear at all.

brian came out on numerous occasions in run up to january and in january at the very least implying the opposite
~'i had a budget, and i spent it all'

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 26 Mar 2013 11:49

melonhead
winchester_royal He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

not clear at all.

brian came out on numerous occasions in run up to january and in january at the very least implying the opposite
~'i had a budget, and i spent it all'

Well he couldnt have done if he bid for Ince and Gylfi so he had a spare 10mil he didn't spend

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Mar 2013 11:51

except im/he's clearly talking about the summer-as indicated by me saying he said it in the run up to january.
:roll:

292 posts