Reading mentioned in Guardian football awards ...

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RG7Fan

Reading mentioned in Guardian football awards ...

by RG7Fan » 18 Dec 2015 09:41

bluerinse

Re: Reading mentioned in Guardian football awards ...

by bluerinse » 18 Dec 2015 10:10

like it- good quote

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2015 11:04

THE PONTIOUS PILATE IN THE LIFE OF BRIAN AWARD FOR MISCONCEIVED INTERACTION WITH A CROWD
Lady Sasima, one of the heads of the Thai consortium that took over Reading last year, had a special gift for the club’s fans before the first home match of the season: a new club song, written by herself! Oh how the crowd’s little faces lit up bright red as ‘They Call us The Royals’ boomed out over the sound system, accompanied on the giant screens by a video so cheesy that fans could have thrown tomatoes at it and called the whole thing a pizza topping. Earnestly the assembled dignitaries urged the home fans to sing along to lyrics such as “doesn’t matter if we learn or win, unstoppably we burn within”, but the only sounds came from the away end, where, as luck would have it, there were more than 4,000 Nasty Leeds fans, who weren’t about to pass up an opportunity to mock the risible antics of another club’s owner. When the anthem finished, Lady Sasima addressed the home crowd but her words could not be heard above the giddy chants of “what the effing hell was that?” or something. Undeterred, one of the other consortium chiefs, Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, sought to rouse the home faithful by performing a few keepie-uppies on the pitch before booting the ball into the crowd. But he missed. And lo, the scene was perfectly set for a godawful 0-0 draw.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2015 11:12

That description sounds a bit like it was written by someone who wasn't actually there....

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 18 Dec 2015 11:37

Is that not what happened?

I was having a pint so missed it all.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 18 Dec 2015 12:19

Lenny The Tramp Is that not what happened?

I was having a pint so missed it all.

Its pretty much what happened from what I remember ...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2015 12:25

I thought they just sang we all love Leeds on repeat for ages.

I don't really remember though was outside (luckily) for the first 20 minutes so couldn't hear shit anyway.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 18 Dec 2015 23:39

I had my t-shirt over my head so didn't see anything...

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 19 Dec 2015 02:26

Am I alone in feeling uneasy about the derision heaped upon that song by our own supporters as well as others. I accept that the lyrics betray a lack of understanding of the English game and of British culture in general. This is hardly surprising, as it was penned by someone of a totally different culture, but maybe someone in the upper echelons of our club could have pointed this out to Lady Sasima before it was recorded? Melodically it is much better than most football anthems ('Three Lions' is the only half-decent offering in my view!) and the production is also good. (And I do have experience in writing songs - words and music - recording them and producing albums).

Of course other clubs, like Leeds, are going to ridicule it, however good or bad it is, because it is a product from a rival team but do we have to join them? It was given to us "...as a gift ..." and with the best intentions. It demonstrates that our new(ish) owners want to get involved with our club and to connect with the fans. If we don't appreciate the song itself then let us at least appreciate the gesture behind it.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 19 Dec 2015 05:54

For a moment there Marlow I thought you were serious.............

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 19 Dec 2015 07:34

I remember thinking the Leeds fans were being remarkably restrained. Then the co-chairwoman went on and on. Stopped. Started again. All the while I'm thinking "please, anyone with a realistic awareness of football fans, please tell her to stop now." But she went on. Stopped. Went on again. That for me was the awful bit. Principally because I did't want her feelings hurt.

As to the Leeds fans, they were OK until it went on too much. Then, inevitably, they started to try and drown her out. If I had sat through that as an away fan I would have done the same.

The moral is - if you are from a different culture, take advice before you wander into a stadium with 4,000 away fans and try to deliver an impassioned speech for five minutes.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 13:37

marlowuk Am I alone in feeling uneasy about the derision heaped upon that song by our own supporters as well as others.

Yes.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Dec 2015 14:05

Or no really

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Dec 2015 12:26

I seem to recall the Leeds fans were chanting "Can you sing a sing for us" at Lady Sasima and other chants such as "Nice ground, Nice fans"

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 21 Dec 2015 13:16

percy_freeman For a moment there Marlow I thought you were serious.............

I was!

Like Roadkill, I was willing her to stop talking but the more she went on the less our fans were listening and the more the Leeds fans were barracking her. Sorry if I'm an over-sensitive old fart but I felt bad for her. She meant well and had her good intentions thrown back in her face. I assume it was her idea to speak to us and, if so, someone at the club (SJM?) should have had the courage to take her to one side and tell her to keep it short (30 seconds?) and light.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Dec 2015 15:01

On the plus side, I think Lady Sasima would have left the pitch with a greater understanding of English football culture than she had when she stepped onto it and those who were brave enough and wise enough to respectfully caution her actions against it for the very reasons that came to be would likely be the voices she will listen to in future on these matters rather than the yes men hangers on.

This could be a blessing for us long term.

Another plus - the song tune and lyrics were not memorable enough for opposition fans to mock us with when they next see us.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1