If money was no object...

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

If money was no object...

by Half Horse » 21 Aug 2022 20:29

If money was no object and as the owner you had a five year plan to return to the Premier League, who would you try to recruit as your manager? Bearing in mind the likes of Klopp and Guardiola are unlikely to be interested in coming to the Thames Valley.

oldebiscuit

Re: If money was no object...

by oldebiscuit » 21 Aug 2022 20:39

Are you serious or just bored out of your box? Or has mummy forbidden you to watch television tonight?

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 21 Aug 2022 20:48

oldebiscuit Are you serious or just bored out of your box? Or has mummy forbidden you to watch television tonight?

I'm 68 years old and was interested in starting a discussion but hey-ho, the first response is from an utter knob. Maybe I'm just bored with people like you. BTW my "Mummy" died around 30 years ago so doesn't influence my TV viewing. Hope you have a great evening.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2022 21:15

Difficult to say isn’t it - thought some like Wilder or Jokanovic were the perfect champ managers and they have/in the process of stinking out their current jobs

Like Frank at Brentford but obvs he was coming into a well run unit. Quite a few managers seem to be ace on job only to never really replicate it elsewhere

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Aug 2022 21:19

Pince

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 21 Aug 2022 21:23

Hound Difficult to say isn’t it - thought some like Wilder or Jokanovic were the perfect champ managers and they have/in the process of stinking out their current jobs

Like Frank at Brentford but obvs he was coming into a well run unit. Quite a few managers seem to be ace on job only to never really replicate it elsewhere

Would enough money buy Potter or Cooper? Or could Ainsworth do a five year build?

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 21 Aug 2022 21:24

LUX Pince

I hope so!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Aug 2022 21:30

Yeah it is quite hard to say because, as mentioned, managers don't tend to replicate their performances from club to club, Steve Cooper is probably the most recent example of a manager who has at two different clubs, but he wouldn't join.

To be fair, I'd probably have Gary Rowett, he seems to be the most consistent manager at this level for me barring his time at Stoke but at Derby, Birmingham and now Millwall, he has done very respectable jobs for the length of time.

I don't really know what you're asking though because, if money is no object but we still have to be realistic about who would come, are you not basically asking who our best possible choice manager would be?

Half Horse
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Half Horse » 21 Aug 2022 21:37

YorkshireRoyal99 Yeah it is quite hard to say because, as mentioned, managers don't tend to replicate their performances from club to club, Steve Cooper is probably the most recent example of a manager who has at two different clubs, but he wouldn't join.

To be fair, I'd probably have Gary Rowett, he seems to be the most consistent manager at this level for me barring his time at Stoke but at Derby, Birmingham and now Millwall, he has done very respectable jobs for the length of time.

I don't really know what you're asking though because, if money is no object but we still have to be realistic about who would come, are you not basically asking who our best possible choice manager would be?

I guess that's what I'm asking. Who is the best manager who would be prepared to come to little old Reading?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Aug 2022 21:49

oldebiscuit Are you serious or just bored out of your box? Or has mummy forbidden you to watch television tonight?

Surprised at you. Poor response to a fair question

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2022 22:01

Half Horse

I'm 68 years old and was interested in starting a discussion but hey-ho, the first response is from an utter knob. Maybe I'm just bored with people like you. BTW my "Mummy" died around 30 years ago so doesn't influence my TV viewing. Hope you have a great evening.

Ignore him, oldebiscuit only ever shows up to have a pop at someone. Judging by that response its an alt account for a troll.

Personally, I object to the whole just buying success by throwing vastly more at it than anyone else can.

So I'd be looking at trying to build brick by brick, trying to run us relatively sustainably. If money truly were no object, I'd build state of the art facilities, and put them in trust with a low rent to the club in perpetuity.

I'd focus on managers with experience of success at this level or similar, or who'd performed extremely well for more than one season in a lower division..

I'd focus on players with excellent fitness and work ethics who ar eon the up, tempered with some experienced old hands who still have something to prove.

Of course, all easier said than done.

I do think Dyche is an excellent manager, if not necessarily the prettiest football on the eye. Hughton failed at Forest but he's done well elsewhere.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Aug 2022 23:09

Jesse Marsch for me. He looks like a top quality manager and he could build something special.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Aug 2022 23:47

Graham Potter

Added bonus of being an ex player so how could he possibly turn us down?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2022 08:12

Potter done a great job at Brighton but would like to see him work with a team with high expectations etc. didn’t especially rate the job he did at Swansea. Likewise cooper actually though can’t argue with what he did at Forest

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Aug 2022 09:03

I thought Potter did well at Swansea at a time when they were having to sell sell sell
A great manager

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2022 09:10

Zip I thought Potter did well at Swansea at a time when they were having to sell sell sell
A great manager

They also retained a lot of decent prem players though during his time there

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Aug 2022 09:17

Hound
Zip I thought Potter did well at Swansea at a time when they were having to sell sell sell
A great manager

You're a hard man to please Hound dog

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2022 09:21

Zip
Hound
A great manager

You're a hard man to please Hound dog

I am. A 10th place finish and a 40% win record with a newly relegated team + McBurnie when he was good wouldn’t come close to pleasing me sadly

Didn’t do a bad job imo; just not a particularly good one. Anyway Brighton obvs saw something they liked and can’t argue with what he has done there

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Aug 2022 10:34

Swansea were a bit of a mess at the time IIRC, had a revolving door installed in the manager's office.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 Aug 2022 10:39

The manager is undoubtedly the most key appointment you can make but if I was really making a push for the top flight I think I'd want to get the house in order first. Sort out the ownership issues of the stadium and training facilities, get the youth/academy teams going again and assemble a backroom staff capable of genuinely elevating the club and it's ambitions.

Difficult to find such people though and "if money was no object" is a dangerous phrase to be throwing around when headhunting. Ideally I'd want people to buy into the ethos of what I was trying to build in central Berkshire - not a load of mercenaries winding down their careers having been at top flight clubs.

In truth I'd outsource it - there's no way I'm qualified to make such appointments so the first hire I'd make would probably be a director of football.