Away form

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Away form

by andrew1957 » 24 Sep 2023 12:49

In the year between 1st October 2022 and 30th September 2023 we have played 22 away games and the record has been 1-3-18. Just 6 away points in a whole year. I was wondering if any hobob stattos know if that is some sort of record?

On a positive note this time last year we were 3rd in the league and yet finished 22nd. A year later we are 22nd. I doubt we will see reverse symmetry and finish 3rd, but let’s hope we pick up from here and finish a lot higher by the end of the season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Away form

by Sutekh » 24 Sep 2023 12:57

And even in that solitary win Reading scored less goals than the opposition.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Sep 2023 13:05

In the 22 home games in the same 12 month period, the record has been 9-8-5 - 35 points - which although not brilliant is pretty solid and so as we all know the away form has been the main cause of our recent woes.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Sep 2023 18:31

If I may be so bold it seems to me that our away form hasn't been as good as our home form.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Sep 2023 18:54

And that win was a last minute OG.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Sep 2023 07:47

Ineffective tactics are clearly to blame. We just don't set up the right way and we're too open

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Sep 2023 09:28

Royal_jimmy Ineffective tactics are clearly to blame. We just don't set up the right way and we're too open

You’re not suggesting the manager is to blame are you?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Sep 2023 10:10

SouthDownsRoyal
Royal_jimmy Ineffective tactics are clearly to blame. We just don't set up the right way and we're too open

Management and players.

The management (particularly Ince) for not helping the confidence of the players by saying they're shit publicly. If my boss told the media I'm bad at my job then why'd I want to work hard for him?

Secondly we've lacked leadership on the pitch for a good while. Someone who sets the tone and keeps the players onside even if we go a goal down. The players attitude isn't great but that could be down to my point on management.

This season it could be psychological (knowing we've not won away in so long) and tactical faults (playing too many players high up the pitch away from home).

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 Sep 2023 10:27

Royal_jimmy
SouthDownsRoyal

Secondly we've lacked leadership on the pitch for a good while. Someone who sets the tone and keeps the players onside even if we go a goal down. The players attitude isn't great but that could be down to my point on management.

This is where I thought Hutch was good at CB in the 3 last season. Experienced between two younger CB's generally, organised well and set the tone as he was robust. Was a good bet for a booking but sometimes it's not a bad thing to have that bit of an edge to you.

This is why I've seen Hutch as a defender, rather than a midfielder. Can see the whole pitch from his position, allowing him to organise from the back and didn't usually have to do too much leg work (although the midfield in front didn't always do this for him either) like what he's been asked to do now.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 25 Sep 2023 11:20

SouthDownsRoyal

Mate (SouthDownsRoyal), we get it. You want Selles out. You've put it on enough threads. Can't you take up tiddliwinks or something?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Sep 2023 12:47

The Cap
SouthDownsRoyal

Mate (SouthDownsRoyal), we get it. You want Selles out. You've put it on enough threads. Can't you take up tiddliwinks or something?

Oh dear.

Do you really think when I write Selles out every time I mean it and am bothered about it? :lol:

I, like most, are now are numb to what goes on at the football club. I support the club, always will do but whether Selles is manager or my next door neighbour I really am not fussed.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Sep 2023 12:58

The away form is the least of our worries atm to be fair.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Sep 2023 14:27

windermereROYAL The away form is the least of our worries atm to be fair.

The problem with our poor away form is it puts a lot of pressure on us to win our home games. If we start dropping lots of points at home then we're in big trouble. We need to find a way to nick the odd win on the road.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Sep 2023 14:31

Royal_jimmy
windermereROYAL The away form is the least of our worries atm to be fair.

The problem with our poor away form is it puts a lot of pressure on us to win our home games. If we start dropping lots of points at home then we're in big trouble. We need to find a way to nick the odd win on the road.

You misunderstand my point Jim, we need a club to do that..

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Sep 2023 15:26

Had a look at this as I remember us being particularly useless away from home in my first full season watching Reading, which was our last at Elm Park and relegation into League One.

In 1997/98, we lost our last ten away games, scoring just four goals. Our overall away record that season was 3-5-15, for 18 points on our travels.

Fast forward however to 1998/99 in the third tier, and we lost our first five away games, taking our streak to 15 (I have a feeling the English league record is 20-something). At that point, our last 22 away league games read 2-3-17, for eight points. There may be worse examples in our history, but our current abysmal form is certainly the worst away league run, of 22 games, in the last 25 years or so.

Of course we broke our streak in true unfathomable fashion - we won 2-0 at Walsall in late September 1998 part of a run of just one away defeat in 13 games spanning nearly six months.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Sep 2023 15:53

Only similar achievement I can find so far is Sunderland, who lost their last 15 games in the 2002-03 PL season, and their last nine away games. They got eight away league points that season (1-5-13), and had only just avoided relegation the previous campaign. Going back to Xmas 2001, when their form collapsed, Sunderland got two away victories in 29 games, and only four in two complete seasons.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Sep 2023 16:59

Sanguine Only similar achievement I can find so far is Sunderland, who lost their last 15 games in the 2002-03 PL season, and their last nine away games. They got eight away league points that season (1-5-13), and had only just avoided relegation the previous campaign. Going back to Xmas 2001, when their form collapsed, Sunderland got two away victories in 29 games, and only four in two complete seasons.

I haven't looked but shirley Derby's PL season 07/08 must include a suitable away run

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Sep 2023 17:01

Franchise FC
Sanguine Only similar achievement I can find so far is Sunderland, who lost their last 15 games in the 2002-03 PL season, and their last nine away games. They got eight away league points that season (1-5-13), and had only just avoided relegation the previous campaign. Going back to Xmas 2001, when their form collapsed, Sunderland got two away victories in 29 games, and only four in two complete seasons.

I haven't looked but shirley Derby's PL season 07/08 must include a suitable away run

Yeah, don't know why I didn't think of them. In their 12-point season they got just three draws from 19 away games. 4 points from 22 games if you go back into 2006-07.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Sep 2023 17:11

Millsy If I may be so bold it seems to me that our away form hasn't been as good as our home form.

Hasn't that always been the case. Away points generally never come easy. For a whole variety of reasons. For promotion win your home games and average a point a game away.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2023 18:11

SouthDownsRoyal
The Cap
SouthDownsRoyal

Oh dear.

Do you really think when I write Selles out every time I mean it and am bothered about it? :lol:

I, like most, are now are numb to what goes on at the football club. I support the club, always will do but whether Selles is manager or my next door neighbour I really am not fussed.

I wish you'd give it a rest. Its not funny. Its not original. It adds nothing of value. It just encourages shit posting and people getting in arguments about it. There's enough bad feeling and resentment to how we've been doing the last decade without you making it marginally worse.

And not everyone knows all the memes and posters by style. You just make yourself look stupid(er).