184 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Wrexham (a)

by Sutekh » 22 Aug 2024 07:32

When : Saturday August 24, 2024, 3pm
Where : Racecourse Ground, Mold Road, Wrexham, LL11 2AH, Wales
Capacity : 13,214

Time for the biggest game so far, Wrexham. Big Phil's Welsh superstars are no mugs and are packed full of Hollywood glitz, even having their very own TV show relaying their everyday stuff to anyone with a Dis(ney)mal+ subscription.

Other than that cup win a decade or so ago, the record v Parky sides is not all that. Reading have not won any of the 5 league games played against teams managed by Phil but, then, Reading have only lost 1 of those 5 games so a draw would probably be an unsurprising solution for all parties on Saturday.

Two years ago Wrexham were between a 5-0 home trouncing of Maidstone and a 3-2 win at Woking while Reading were between a 1-0 home win v Middlesbrough and a 1-0 win at Millwall. Now they're meeting on equal terms for the first time since December 2001. For Wrexham it's been two years of unbridled success that they've not seen for a good 50 years while for Reading it's been two of the most miserable seasons possible but the hope is now that those 2 years are over and Reading can get some succes back while Wrexham return to being something more normal.

Wrexham have numerous very talented players to try and stop, not least former Reading favourite George Evans. Add to that the "famous names" you've been watching on the telly, thinking they'd be a good option for Reading, like Elliott Lee, Jack Marriott, Paul Mullin and the "still playing at 37" Steven Fletcher and you can see this is possibly going to be Ruben's biggest game thus far.

The main issue will be that this is a side that has known nothing but success for two years, have essentially rampaged through two divisions and has not changed all that much. Many of the players were playing in non league 2 years ago so they will have that understanding and "all for one" ethic that the likes of Birmingham and other big hitters are still trying to build this season. However Selles seems to be getting to grips with this management lark and showing signs of being one of the brighter sparks out there so hopefully he'll devise something that frustrates Parky's usual 3-5-2 set up and gives them the problems.

Some good news for Reading is that Wrexham will be without Paul Mullin due to injury but without him they've already beaten Wycombe at home and given a very good account of themselves at Bolton in getting a point. A point that puts them on the same number of points as Reading this season though Reading have their heads higher in the table thanks to Wifi netting a second v Wigan last week.

Reading will still be without long term casualties Ryan and Yiadom, while Knibbs is at least another 2 weeks away from returning to the field. One hopes that the never ending saga will finally have ended and that there would have been time to add some depth to the squad overall, but chances are it'll be Reading's bare bones v Wrexham's more than enough to cover every eventuality.

Referee

Ross Joyce

Previously...

20 Feb 24 > Reading 2-0 Port Vale
13 Jan 24 > Reading A-A Port Vale

Historically

There have been 26 previous league games against the red dragons which means 13 trips to the Racecourse and of those 13 games Reading have won as many as Wrexham - 6. The last defeat there for the Royals was that utterly embarrassing opening day capitulation starring van der Kwaak and Kromheer back in August 1998. Since then Reading have won 3 out of 3 visits, however, I think making it 4 from 4 will probably be the biggest achievement since Selles arrived, esp. given that Wrexham have only lost 4 league games at home in the last 3 years.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))

Tinpot Royal

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wrexham (a)

by Tinpot Royal » 22 Aug 2024 09:30

Typical that the first (and probably only) time they are not on TV all season is when we go there!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Aug 2024 09:51

We did beat Bradford managed by Parky in the FA Cup quarter final though, I'd trade that for the other results.

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 22 Aug 2024 17:10

Bit surprised to see Wrexham has not sold out to home supporters, according to the ticketing section of their official website.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Aug 2024 18:49

Will be a difficult game but no reason why we can't get a point there. I'd play the same side that was at Birmingham.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 22 Aug 2024 20:45

Philly Flyer Bit surprised to see Wrexham has not sold out to home supporters, according to the ticketing section of their official website.

Cheers for that! I live locally and was really annoyed I couldn’t get a ticket but I’ve managed to get a couple in the home end, At least we’re in!

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Aug 2024 21:01

Royal_jimmy Will be a difficult game but no reason why we can't get a point there. I'd play the same side that was at Birmingham.

No real point changing anything, unless enforced, from the two league games so far. Albeit, we don't really have scope to change anything.

The only question is who takes Azeez's spot on the bench? Akande probably, but he's still incredibly raw based on the cup matches he's played in. Tuma hasn't featured for the first team this season, even in the Trophy (I'm guessing Selles wants him playing regular U21 football). Abrefa has seemingly been getting opportunities on the wing, so it may not even by a winger or attacking player who replaces him.

That assumes the takeover isn't confirmed tomorrow along with a couple of loanees.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 23 Aug 2024 07:18

I’ve got really high hopes for Andre Garcia, he looks a really exciting prospect to me. I’d be gutted if he gets snapped up for peanuts and bunged in someone’s reserve side before we get to see him play for us for a few years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2024 08:20

Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy Will be a difficult game but no reason why we can't get a point there. I'd play the same side that was at Birmingham.

No real point changing anything, unless enforced, from the two league games so far. Albeit, we don't really have scope to change anything.

The only question is who takes Azeez's spot on the bench? Akande probably, but he's still incredibly raw based on the cup matches he's played in. Tuma hasn't featured for the first team this season, even in the Trophy (I'm guessing Selles wants him playing regular U21 football). Abrefa has seemingly been getting opportunities on the wing, so it may not even by a winger or attacking player who replaces him.

That assumes the takeover isn't confirmed tomorrow along with a couple of loanees.

Has Azeez definitely actually gone?

EDiT: I see its official

I'd stick with the side against Wigan and move Sackey into Azeez's spot. I'd rather shift Elliott or Savage wide if either Camara or Kelvin come off. And there's also Abrefa and Garcia that Selles has already pushed forward.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Aug 2024 14:41

I had a peek at the Wrexham forum and they all seem very confident of a win, they have a poll on their match thread with 69% going for a win, 26% for a draw and only 5% for a loss and I definitely saw someone say they accidentally voted for the loss. So probably a lot of upset people if we can go up there and get a win.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Aug 2024 15:10

tidus_mi2 I had a peek at the Wrexham forum and they all seem very confident of a win, they have a poll on their match thread with 69% going for a win, 26% for a draw and only 5% for a loss and I definitely saw someone say they accidentally voted for the loss. So probably a lot of upset people if we can go up there and get a win.

They aren't all that from what I've seen of them. I saw the first half of their game at Bolton and they were outplayed; the keeper, who's decent, kept them in it.

It will be a different sort of test to Brum and Wigan though, they looked to go quite direct so will bypass the press. I'm sure Reuben and the coaches will have done their homework though.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 24 Aug 2024 14:03

Looks like the only change is Akande starting instead of Camara, who isn’t in the squad.

Tuma and Dean on the bench instead of Azeez and Kanu.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Aug 2024 14:06

Clyde1998 Looks like the only change is Akande starting instead of Camara, who isn’t in the squad.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 24 Aug 2024 14:22

Clyde1998 Looks like the only change is Akande starting instead of Camara, who isn’t in the squad.

Camara has shown good development over the summer and looks to be getting up to speed really well. I hope this isn't another sale, I was looking forward to seeing him develop.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Aug 2024 14:31

The bloke in front of me last Saturday spent the entire game moaning about how sh*t Camara is and how he'll never do anything

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Aug 2024 14:39

ILoveMoonPig

Camara has shown good development over the summer and looks to be getting up to speed really well. I hope this isn't another sale, I was looking forward to seeing him develop.

Been wearing a protective boot so think he's just injured.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 24 Aug 2024 14:48

First match ill be able to watch in ~2 years because were playing the American actors meme team!

LFG!!!

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Aug 2024 14:49

This will be a very tough test we will be lucky to get a point or even a single goal. I think Parky will be rubbing our nose in it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2024 14:49

John Madejski's Wallet The bloke in front of me last Saturday spent the entire game moaning about how sh*t Camara is and how he'll never do anything

It's nice to know the quality of insight in attendance hasn't improved. I miss the stadium and games, not so much half the fans.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Aug 2024 15:06

Wish Kelvin would play it across early sometimes. He always tries to go all the way and through such tiny gaps right on the line.

He's great at it, just think a bit more variation is in order and an earlier pass sometimes.

184 posts