Coppell needs to buy more players

22 posts
refwinter

Coppell needs to buy more players

by refwinter » 14 Aug 2006 17:29

It is worrying, the lack of depth we have. Midfield needs strenghtening, Seol was dropped from the Korean squad for the world cup so can't be that good seeing as Park is there best player.

Now i'd love to see Reading do well and no doubt i'm going to get abuse for this message by 'hob nob regulars' but i don't care. I don't want us to be like Sunderland last season,it will be sickening to see that happen.

If we get two central defenders injured we don't really have a decent replacement,also none of our players has any good premiership experience. John Oster for example in my opinion isn't good enough for the championship team let alone a prem one, when i watched them last season and yes i did see most home games and even a few away games when he played he wasn't good enough.

Come on Coppell, get some quality in. I'd love it if Reading proved me wrong but with the team we have at the moment i can't see us finishing outside the bottom 3.

RFCSinceBury1971

by RFCSinceBury1971 » 14 Aug 2006 17:31

So who shall we buy?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Aug 2006 17:35

More negativity. :roll:

Oh and what's this bullshit about Seol being dropped from the South Korea world cup squad? Did I dream when I watched him play for them at the world cup?

Oh, despite what you may think, Steve Coppell is working hard to bring in some players. It's not his fault if the clubs are not willing to sell their players.

Really. :roll:

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 14 Aug 2006 17:37

SpaceCruiser More negativity. :roll:

Oh and what's this bullshit about Seol being dropped from the South Korea world cup squad? Did I dream when I watched him play for them at the world cup?

Oh, despite what you may think, Steve Coppell is working hard to bring in some players. It's not his fault if the clubs are not willing to sell their players.

I think you'll also find that many players do not want to join Reading. The same situation Wigan were in last pre-season.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 14 Aug 2006 17:44

what does it say in the popular press spacey?

poohs pure

Re: Coppell needs to buy more players

by poohs pure » 14 Aug 2006 17:54

refwinter It is worrying, the lack of depth we have. Midfield needs strenghtening, Seol was dropped from the Korean squad for the world cup so can't be that good seeing as Park is there best player.

Now i'd love to see Reading do well and no doubt i'm going to get abuse for this message by 'hob nob regulars' but i don't care. I don't want us to be like Sunderland last season,it will be sickening to see that happen.

If we get two central defenders injured we don't really have a decent replacement,also none of our players has any good premiership experience. John Oster for example in my opinion isn't good enough for the championship team let alone a prem one, when i watched them last season and yes i did see most home games and even a few away games when he played he wasn't good enough.

Come on Coppell, get some quality in. I'd love it if Reading proved me wrong but with the team we have at the moment i can't see us finishing outside the bottom 3.

youth club starts at 6 innit, hurry or you'll be late.

Vicky Pollard

Re: Coppell needs to buy more players

by Vicky Pollard » 14 Aug 2006 18:04

refwinter It is worrying, the lack of depth we have. Midfield needs strenghtening, Seol was dropped from the Korean squad for the world cup so can't be that good seeing as Park is there best player.

I personally think youre talkin out of your arse mate

Last year Sunderland brought in a list of players and it brought them precisely bugger all. Keeping a tightly knit squad with a great spirit that was so successful last year may not be as bad as you think. Coppells past signings have proven to be very shrewd moves and Im sure Seol will be no different

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 14 Aug 2006 18:23

I think we all need to stop being biased and come to terms that we need at least 2 players or we will be in trouble this season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2006 18:33

bracknell loyal royal! I think we all need to stop being biased and come to terms that we need at least 2 players or we will be in trouble this season.

Sorry BLR! but thats rubbish. We could well buy 2 more players and still be in trouble or we could get no-one else and be fine. None of us know and that's the beauty of this season

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 14 Aug 2006 18:34

We need quality cover, our squad needs more depth, if we have an injury crisis and say Oster plays, he's pretty pants and not prem quality.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 14 Aug 2006 18:42

I actually think that the Cup games last year, where essentially our 2nd XI matched up well against - albeit poorer - Premiership clubs, shows that we do have more quality strength in depth, and players who have something to prove, than some give credit for.

I don't doubt that some additional signings would be beneficial, but nor do I think we are doomed if the squad stays as it is. Sunderland had little or no team spirit last year (partially because of new signings not having gelled) and were convinced they were going to get trounced in the Prem. They did.

Reading have a superb team spirit and work ethic. We have a young squad who are still improving and with something to prove and a canny manager who knows his game plan. AND we have money for signings (remember there may well be some before the end of August, 17 days away) if they are RIGHT FOR THE SQUAD.

I don't think we should bring in signings for signings sake, or a prima donna who will upset the team. Trust the main man.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Aug 2006 18:43

bracknell loyal royal! We need quality cover, our squad needs more depth, if we have an injury crisis and say Oster plays, he's pretty pants and not prem quality.

I'll disagree again as I think Oster will be more effective at this level as the style of play suits him more.

I agree that we are thin, but we should only sign players that will enhance the squad not just the numbers. They have to be better than what we have and if none are available so be it we'll have to go in with what we have until Jan.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 14 Aug 2006 18:48

I'm fairly certain that this post has already been posted about 50 000 times over the past 2 months, albeit with slightly different wording each time. It is getting severely boring and monotonous, please air your views on some webpage that I never visit so I don't have to see another "SHOCK NEWS READING NEED TO STRENGTHEN SQUAD AND I'M THE ONLY FAN WHO SEES IT" post ever again.

Many thanks in advance.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 14 Aug 2006 18:52

JimmytheJim ...on some webpage that I never visit...

Jimmy, do you have the URL for that? :lol:

At least it makes for some good fodder. Just ignore the threads of you're bored of them!

kevan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by kevan » 14 Aug 2006 18:54

I only wish someone had mentioned this before now, if SC had known a bit earleir he could have tried to do something about it. It's a bit late now

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Aug 2006 18:57

we are not competeing against chelski and man ure, we are competing against boro and fulham

last years squad should be good enough to compete with the bottom end of the premiership

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 14 Aug 2006 19:18

Well Watford and Sheff utd dont seem to have had too many problems attracting players..the quality is arguable, but they got the players in

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 14 Aug 2006 19:24

Chaney

...the quality is arguable, but they got the players in...

I think you have shot your own argument in the foot there. Coppell is targetting specific players, the likes of Mensah and Fae, who he feels could add that extra "something" without disrupting the team. Trouble is, it is those player's clubs that are not willing to sell.

I am sure Coppell could go and buy a clutch of rubbish or mediocrity if he was so inclined. And then we'd have not only more fans complaining about the lack of quality, but we really would be in trouble of the drop.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 14 Aug 2006 19:35

Chaney

Well Watford and Sheff utd dont seem to have had too many problems attracting players..the quality is arguable, but they got the players in

Have you had a good, hard look at the players that Sheffield United and Watford have 'attracted'? Would they seriously improve the Reading squad? Answer NEGATIVE!

TheMightyRoyal

by TheMightyRoyal » 15 Aug 2006 11:13

what annoys me is the fact that Madjeski was spouting all this bullsh*t about season tickets nearly doubling in price to help strengthen the squad and then we end up getting nobody in...if he's honest with himself, then Madjeski will be reasonably happy at not spending any money

22 posts