Spyin' Kop Article - Fans wanted to answer some questions

oi john

Spyin' Kop Article - Fans wanted to answer some questions

by oi john » 09 Oct 2006 18:36

Dear Reading fans,

I'm a Liverpool supporter and a member of the independent LFC fansite 'Redandwhitekop.net' In the buildup to the match we run a feature called 'Spyin Kop' in which we ask an opposition fans site for their thoughts on the game and the respective teams.

As well as providing an alternative viewpoint on the upcoming match we hope to bring in some opposition fans for friendly banter and discussion pre and post game. It also gives us the chance to swop information about good pubs, bad burger vans etc.

I've put some questions below, if you or another supporter could answer them and pm me back we'd be very grateful. I'll select the best answers for the article - so keep it clean! If you can't spare the time but know someone who might be able to then please forward this message on to them.

Cheers and regards,

Alex.

ps. When the article is complete I'd be happy to post a link and you'd be welcome to come along to the site and see the reaction. if you wanted to run a similar article we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about Anfield etc.

So if you’re up to the challenge and fancy giving it a go then leave your name in the thread, feel free to request a particular game or just volunteer your services in general and I’ll just work my way down the list, although we only have our league games currently listed we will be doing cup games as per normal, once these games are known I’ll update the list accordingly.

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes part.

How has the season been shaping up so far?

What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one?

Who do you think is your most important player(s)?

Your worst player(s)?

What sort of line-up will be put out against us?

Which Liverpool player will you fear the most?

This is the first meeting between Liverpool and Reading, how excited are you about taking us on for the first time?

How many Reading fans can we expect to make the trip up North?

Do you have any favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

Has anyone been to Anfield before? If so, what were your thoughts?

And finally, care to predict the score?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 09 Oct 2006 18:45

How has the season been shaping up so far? been brilliant, i think ever fan can't complain, with so many people writing us off, it's great to stick two fingers up at them

What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one? i think many of us would havetaken 17th, now mid to low mid table we'll all take

Who do you think is your most important player(s)? Ibrahima Sonko is a rock at the back, as well as Doyle up front with Seol on the right. Those two always look dangerous with the ball. Doyle is deceptively strong and quick while Seol has all the ability on his day

Your worst player(s)? can't complain at anyone at the moment, everyone has done a job, although Convey has been quiet, but he will come good

What sort of line-up will be put out against us? the best we can, expect the same team that started the last 4 games, although Kitson maybe in for Lita by then

Which Liverpool player will you fear the most? Xabi Alonso, if we give him too much time on the ball, he can pick a pass many others can't

This is the first meeting between Liverpool and Reading, how excited are you about taking us on for the first time? reasonably, but as Coppell says, it doesn't matter who the opponent it is, we take every game as it comes, if we think, 'oh it's liverpool, away loss' thenwe'll get nothing. if we take the attitude like we did against Man U, we'll be fine

How many Reading fans can we expect to make the trip up North? we'll sell out our alocation easy

Do you have any favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation? doubt none of our imaginative chants will come out, expect the sign on song

Has anyone been to Anfield before? If so, what were your thoughts? no

And finally, care to predict the score? 1-1 (Doyle)

hope u meant the league match, not the cup match :wink:

oi john

by oi john » 09 Oct 2006 18:52

No, the cup game :)

Someone else from the site will be doing the league match next month.

I'll be doing the one in April again though.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 Oct 2006 19:01

Can we also ask a few questions:

- Where in Liverpool is it safe to park on match day?

- On the redandwhitekop.com forum it says "let our second string knock the oxf*rd out of their one and only slim chance of 'glory' this season" - are these also your views?

- Do you all look like this - picture.

- Is Kuyt likely to play or will he be substituted by Crouch? What is your score prediction if Kuyt plays and if he does not play?

rfc_prem2006

Re: Spyin' Kop Article - Fans wanted to answer some question

by rfc_prem2006 » 09 Oct 2006 19:02

oi john Dear Reading fans,

I'm a Liverpool supporter and a member of the independent LFC fansite 'Redandwhitekop.net' In the buildup to the match we run a feature called 'Spyin Kop' in which we ask an opposition fans site for their thoughts on the game and the respective teams.

As well as providing an alternative viewpoint on the upcoming match we hope to bring in some opposition fans for friendly banter and discussion pre and post game. It also gives us the chance to swop information about good pubs, bad burger vans etc.

I've put some questions below, if you or another supporter could answer them and pm me back we'd be very grateful. I'll select the best answers for the article - so keep it clean! If you can't spare the time but know someone who might be able to then please forward this message on to them.

Cheers and regards,

Alex.

ps. When the article is complete I'd be happy to post a link and you'd be welcome to come along to the site and see the reaction. if you wanted to run a similar article we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about Anfield etc.

So if you’re up to the challenge and fancy giving it a go then leave your name in the thread, feel free to request a particular game or just volunteer your services in general and I’ll just work my way down the list, although we only have our league games currently listed we will be doing cup games as per normal, once these games are known I’ll update the list accordingly.

Your worst player(s)?

This is the first meeting between Liverpool and Reading, how excited are you about taking us on for the first time?

Do you have any favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

Went to see Liverpool v FC Sion quite a few years ago when Liverpool won 6-3! Robbie Fowler got a hat-trick if i remember rightly! Good game and the atmosphere was made better by the fact that 'Your God' got a hat-trick. Good Day Out

meeky_no9

by meeky_no9 » 09 Oct 2006 19:08

It has been a very good season so far, beyond our expectations.

To stay up and keep a place in the premiership for at least another season

Sonko, hes a rock in our defence and can score a couple a season aswell from set plays

Your worst player(s)?

Proberly Oster as he hasnt played much latley and i think he is one of our weaked player in our squad

I think it will be a mixed squad from 1st teamers and reserves, look out for shane long as he will be starting.

If he playes Crouchy boy, hes good in the air and i have always thinked that he is a good player for both club and country. Also a bit worried of Gerrard if he plays

Im only going to be exited about the Premership encounter, it will be the resurves XL in the Micky mouse cup.

Not quite sure but no more that 3,000

No

No

1-0 to liverpool

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Oct 2006 19:10

what part of PM the answers do you guys not understand?

oi john

by oi john » 09 Oct 2006 19:10

M4 Junction 11 Can we also ask a few questions:

- Where in Liverpool is it safe to park on match day?

- On the redandwhitekop.com forum it says "let our second string knock the oxf*rd out of their one and only slim chance of 'glory' this season" - are these also your views?

- Do you all look like this - picture.

- Is Kuyt likely to play or will he be substituted by Crouch? What is your score prediction if Kuyt plays and if he does not play?

Park anywhere. There's a car park outside the away end. Just dont say 'yes' to any lads asking to look after your car.

And if Reading play there second XI and we play our first (which I doubt) I would like to think we would beat you by a fair amount. As would you I'm sure. But no, I dont think many Liverpool fans expect us to beat you by a high amount.

And I doubt Kuyt will play. Fit or not.

Hootus McFurby

by Hootus McFurby » 09 Oct 2006 19:21

Unbelieveable, I think that we were all quietly confident that we would be ok and probably stay up, but to get the points total that we have already is much more than expected.

See previous answer, in reality I thought we would end up somewhere around 15th place but now really think that 10th or 11th is possible

Hard to say as the most notable thing about us is our team spirit and understanding. Everyone plays for each other and doesn't want to let the team down. However, if pushed I'd probably say Sonko, Sidwell and Seol so far

Your worst player(s)?

No one really, as I said no-one wants to let the others down.

League or Carling Cup. For the league it will undoubtedly be our strongest team. Coppell likes to play the reserves in the Cup though so I reckon you might give us a bit of a hiding which won't really give a realistic impression of our performance in the league game that follows

Gerrard is the obvious answer but then he is a player who can change a game single handed.

Very, I have a lot of family on Merseyside, mostly Reds, so have had years of mickey taking for being a Reading Fan, it seems so strange to actually be playing you.

League game will definitely sell out, not so sure about the cup as it is midweek but as it is the first time we have ever played you I think that there is a good chance of selling that out too

Not a great deal I must admit, Sonko is Superman and We all dream of a team of Kevin Doyles are pretty self explanatory.

Several times, my Uncle was a season ticket holder for over 20 years so he used to take me to Anfield whenever we were staying with family and there was a game on, the Kop was awesome in the days of terracing. In fact the first game I ever saw was Liverpool/Everton although that was at Goodison during the 78/79 season when a certain Mr A King scored a wonder goal to win it for the blues. I still have my 78/79 season Liverpool yearbook that he got me for Christmas signed by all the team including Paisley and Shankley as one of his mates was David Johnson who got everyone to sign it for me, I've been told that would fetch a fortune at auction but it will never be for sale. I wish he was still now here to see us play his team :(

Against our first team for the league team, if you play the way I know you can then 2-0 to you. Otherwise 0-0

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Oct 2006 08:51

Brilliant, best ever!! Makes a change to have teams who can compete against us rather than us just slaughtering FL fodder every week. :wink:

Thought we could get to a comfortable mid table position with a good wind behind us, not changed that view yet.

Dave Kitson (he may well play in the cup game as he completes his recovery from the attempted leg amputation he acquired thanks to Mr Riggott).

Your worst player(s)?

Difficult to say as no-one is bad (seriously no-one is bad). Convey's not been firing on all cylinders yet but then he's still been contributing in games, if there is a worse player he's going to feature in the cup game though.

Reserves. Well that's possible a tad unfair to call them that let's say the players from the dark side of the moon

Back in the days of Shanks and Paisley, Dalglish I would have said the ones in the red shirts but these days Liverpool are not quite what they were and Reading are so far removed from what they were that its now down to the standard names; Gerrard, obviously, Riise and Alonso for me although I don't expect them all (or any come to that) to be playing in the cup game.

Not excited in the slightest, just another name! Personally though I am, I was a Liverpool supporter from the early 70s (I was 5, I didn't realise there was a local team until 1978 when I started supporting Reading and Liverpool became my favourite other side). Still hope we 'gub' the 'pool though.

I also thing there has been no direct transfers or dealings of any kind between the clubs and only a handful of players played for us after an appearance or two for Liverpool e.g. Ray Houghton

Not as many for the Ciup game as will make the effort for the league game a few days later. Presuming our allocation to be 3k for both, I reckon there could be about 1500 for the cup and a sell out for the league.

Seol, Seol will tear you apart, again
Sonko is Superman (and he is, believe me).

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 10 Oct 2006 09:16

Not bad I suppose. Disappointed not to take all three points from 'the sh*t' but then away wins and Wet Sham and Colin's team were pleasing

Most of us thought that if we played like we did last season then we could do OK, and so far so good. Avoiding injuries is the key for us.

We don't have one, which is why we are consistent. We have a good team without being over-reliant on any one player (unlike your good selves).

Your worst player(s)?

Last season no 13 was a bit quiet at times, but this year has performed superbly. As mentioned Convey takes time to adjust.

For the cup game it will be almost totally (if not totally) a change from the League team.

Gerrard.

I am looking forward to the league game more. It will be one of the highlights of the season for me to go to Anfield.

Cup game should sell out, and for the league game, the M40 will be chocka with Reading fans heading for Anfield and Man U fans heading up from Surrey.

The main one when the team comes out is URZ (pronounced U R's) which is a shortened version of 'come on you reading'

Many times. Went to Uni in Liverpool (I think - it is all a bit hazy). To use a phrase often heard at the Mad Stad this year, I was there when you were sh*t. Saw many games of the Souness era.

Depends who turns up on the day. I reckon you will win the Cup game, League game is more difficult to predict.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 10 Oct 2006 09:55

IIRC Liverpool are below us in the league

Us going to Anfield will be like a CUP FINAL....

For THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 10 Oct 2006 13:48

M4 Junction 11 - On the redandwhitekop.com forum it says "let our second string knock the oxf*rd out of their one and only slim chance of 'glory' this season" - are these also your views?

That's disingenuous. You've carefully excised the first part of that statement ("Everton at home would do nicely"), which was obviously made before the draw.

oi john

by oi john » 10 Oct 2006 13:49

Thanks so far people :)

Anyone making the trip who's replied so far? Meet up for a pre-match pint if ya like...

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 10 Oct 2006 14:41

We're dreaming, we must be!

Nope. Once we're mathematically safe then maybe we can review our targets but safety comes first, anything else is a bonus.

Number 13 - The fans. They've been top class so far and that really does make a difference out there. As for player, then Iba Sonko has been immense, has all of the team!

Your worst player(s)?

John Halls. Currently in the reserves and not looking likely to ever make the first team. Lazy attitude and seems content to sit in the wilderness cashing his pay cheque each week.

It'll be a mixture of first team and reserves/benched players. Last season we had a great cup run using the same method and it will be the same this season. Expect around 6 changes to the side that'll play Chelsea at the weekend.

Stevie Gerrard. On his day that guy is the best midfielder in the world! Maybe one day we too will bring players like that through our academy, well we live in hope.

It's only the League Cup but at the same time it's a trip to Anfield and for me it's a special stadium. Full of history and in my opinion, the best supporters in the UK. I grew up a Liverpool fan and this will be a special moment to see little ol' Reading walking out at Anfield and hearing the Kop singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. I can't wait!!

It's hard to say, with it being the League Cup and all. But I would hope we could bring along about 2,000.

Sadly we lack creativity in this department but we do make a bit of noise, especially this season. It seems many of the fans have finally realised what passion actually is!

I've been before to see England play, but not Liverpool.

I think we'll be up for it more than yourselves, and with that in mind I think we could grab a win.

Liverpool 1 Reading 2 (Lita 2)

8)

Legend

Re: Spyin' Kop Article - Fans wanted to answer some question

by Legend » 10 Oct 2006 17:42

rfc_prem2006
oi john Dear Reading fans,

Cheers and regards,

Alex.

Your worst player(s)?

Went to see Liverpool v FC Sion quite a few years ago when Liverpool won 6-3! Robbie Fowler got a hat-trick if i remember rightly! Good game and the atmosphere was made better by the fact that 'Your God' got a hat-trick. Good Day Out

I was at that game, the guy in the away end had the most annoying bell.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Oct 2006 20:01

Much better than expected, if we we're honest I think we expected to get tonked most games as we didn't add to the Championship significantly.

Survival, and it hasn't changed.

So far, Sonko and Seol. They will almost certainly not play as there is cover for them.

Your worst player(s)?

Of those that play regularly, Stephen Hunt; 200% effort, 2% skill

Coppell will definitely stick with his second string and give the fringe players their time in the spotlight. Expect 7 or 8 changes from the league side.

Stevie Gerrard.

Perhaps excited is the wrong word, we're just enjoying the ride.

Being mid week and a long way I'd guess 2000-2500

URZ and odd songs about Oxford and Swindon

Many times, being a PieEater and a Woollyback I used to go a lot in the 70's during the glory days. I stopped when the paddock stopped being standing, and I didn't like standing in the Kop, so that tells you how long ago it was.

Probably lose 3-1

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Oct 2006 20:21

oi john Anyone making the trip who's replied so far? Meet up for a pre-match pint if ya like...

I'm planning to be there, tickets for my hangers-on permitting. I was going to try one of the pubs near Goodison, over the park. Any suggestions for an away friendly pubs devoid of scallies?

Harold

by Harold » 10 Oct 2006 20:26

Gr8

What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one? Yes

Sonko

Your worst player(s)?
John Halls

A weakened one as it's only Liverpool.

John Barnes

This is the first meeting between Liverpool and Reading, how excited are you about taking us on for the first time? Not as excited as taking on Chelsea.Man Utd. Arsenal.

Whatever the capacity for away fans is.

Who can rob your houses?
Violate your gran?
Sell cocaine from an Ice Cream van?
The scousers can, the scousers can.......

Yes - rubbish. But Liverpool got hammered 4-1.

0-2

Apocalypse Now
Location: " Has anyone here at this reading home game, got a season ticket"- Pa Dickhead

by Apocalypse Now » 10 Oct 2006 20:38

You guys are dreaming if you think we will take more than 800 to the league cup game. Who is actually going for a meaningless second string game?

The league will be a sellout, but 2,000 for an evening league cup match miles away? :lol: