Expectation and reality.

Pool and Darts

Expectation and reality.

by Pool and Darts » 29 Nov 2006 22:29

I will admit that I am still aiming for 4th bottom, and then to chalk off teams as they become mathematically unable to reach us.

Much like I did last season. Except that I was obviously aiming for top spot last season!

Part of me is looking up at a European place. (Maybe someone can give me a reason why we shouldn't aim high.)

The other part of me is looking down at the bottom three, and counting the gap from them to us.

Realistically, this is the normal situation for many a premiership club, and I don't see it as a reason to be unhappy.

The main thing is that if you are a Reading fan, you should make the most of this season. Just the start we have made is reason to be cheerful.

Next season will definitely be harder, but that is for next season.

We are witnessing history people, and actually, we are doing pretty well.

With more than a third of the season gone, we have the SAME NUMBER OF POINTS as Liverpool(who have played a game more than we have) and Arsenal, and more points than Everton, Tottenham, Manchester City, Middlesborough, Newcastle and the relegation strugglers.

I really believe we are going to stay up.

It will be interesting to see how we build next season.

In the mean time, let's enjoy the next few months, because we are clearly going to do well.

UUURRRZZZ.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 29 Nov 2006 22:36

I almost forgot to mention that we are significantly ahead of wet sham.

Although that will obviously change when they get millions to spend in January. :roll:

I still think our manager is better than theirs, so f**k it, who cares!!!!

nickbob_sexypants

by nickbob_sexypants » 29 Nov 2006 22:36

Looking at the table I cant believe if we win the spare game we go 3rd, if arsenal fail to win theirs!!

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 29 Nov 2006 22:38

nickbob_sexypants Looking at the table I cant believe if we win the spare game we go 3rd, if arsenal fail to win theirs!!

I know. Isn't it great!!

I'm living the dream!!

retro royal

Re: Expectation and reality.

by retro royal » 30 Nov 2006 00:00

Pool and Darts I will admit that I am still aiming for 4th bottom, and then to chalk off teams as they become mathematically unable to reach us.

Much like I did last season. Except that I was obviously aiming for top spot last season!

Part of me is looking up at a European place. (Maybe someone can give me a reason why we shouldn't aim high.)

The other part of me is looking down at the bottom three, and counting the gap from them to us.

Realistically, this is the normal situation for many a premiership club, and I don't see it as a reason to be unhappy.

The main thing is that if you are a Reading fan, you should make the most of this season. Just the start we have made is reason to be cheerful.

With more than a third of the season gone, we have the SAME NUMBER OF POINTS as Liverpool(who have played a game more than we have) and Arsenal, and more points than Everton, Tottenham, Manchester City, Middlesborough, Newcastle and the relegation strugglers.

In the mean time, let's enjoy the next few months, because we are clearly going to do well.

UUURRRZZZ.

A post I totally agree with, and written better than I could. Good post P&D

And the best thing is we still have to play 4 of the bottom 5

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 30 Nov 2006 00:15

or is bad that we have to play 4 of the bottom 5 as at some point they may turn that amazing corner. Anyway they can do that after we have stuffed them!!

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 30 Nov 2006 08:10

Did anyone else feel slightly disapointed when we dropped to 8th last night. I mean, how dare Liverpool overtake us! :shock:

Still be pleased to finish 17th, but at this stage feel we will just miss out on Europe hence 10th is my happy place now............

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 30 Nov 2006 08:16

Lowest possible finish is still 20th :(

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 30 Nov 2006 08:36

M4 Junction 11 Lowest possible finish is still 20th :(

Highest possible finish is still 1st! :wink:

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 30 Nov 2006 08:43

Pool and Darts I will admit that I am still aiming for 4th bottom, and then to chalk off teams as they become mathematically unable to reach us.

UUURRRZZZ.

Brilliant post "Pool and Darts". :D
How much better you put it than I did in my castigated attempt on the Easy path into Europe thread.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Nov 2006 09:27

1) Because it'll hurt if we get all wound up about it and miss out

2) Because, as a newly promoted side, we should be humble and meek and not think of such things.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 30 Nov 2006 09:31

3) And we should remember what happened to Ipswich when they got into Europe at the end of their first season back in the top flight.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 30 Nov 2006 09:45

The Surgeon of Crowthorne 3) And we should remember what happened to Ipswich when they got into Europe at the end of their first season back in the top flight.

But there's the difference, we're not back in the top flight.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Nov 2006 09:46

I'm just aiming for us to win the next game...

Corky341

by Corky341 » 30 Nov 2006 09:59

I hope our rather lofty league position will encourage some of the players SC & NH have their eyes on for January.

Mid table mediocracy would do me this season. Europe next and then ....... the world.

C'Mon URZzzzzz

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 30 Nov 2006 11:19

Corky341 I hope our rather lofty league position will encourage some of the players SC & NH have their eyes on for January.

Mid table mediocracy would do me this season. Europe next and then ....... the world.

C'Mon URZzzzzz

Like so many things in life, it is best to aim high. If we aim for Europe but fail and end up comfortably in mid-table then that is fine. However, if we aim for 4th bottom and just fail then that would be disaster.

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 30 Nov 2006 14:05

Pool and Darts I almost forgot to mention that we are significantly ahead of wet sham. Although that will obviously change when they get millions to spend in January. :roll:

Yes - look how Tevez and Mascherano (multi-million pound aquisitions had they been bought instead of loaned) have set the Premiersip alight. I trust Coppell in the January sales much more than Pardew.

Having said that, Goater and Murray were awesome signings for us. Massive.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2006 14:06

Jaques Francais
Pool and Darts I almost forgot to mention that we are significantly ahead of wet sham. Although that will obviously change when they get millions to spend in January. :roll:

Yes - look how Tevez and Mascherano (multi-million pound aquisitions had they been bought instead of loaned) have set the Premiersip alight. I trust Coppell in the January sales much more than Pardew.

Having said that, Goater and Murray were awesome signings for us. Massive.

To be fair to Pardew, he had nothing to do with them arriving at West Ham. They've caused him more harm than good.

by 1960 » 30 Nov 2006 15:44

I'm all for getting as near the top as possible, so that if we have a downward blip we should still stay out of danger. To get to these top 4 places, though, is going to be tough.

First - Bolton. An average away record, but have won more than they have lost. But a really tough game against Chelsea might have taken a toll mentally and physically. A physical side though - can we out-tough them?

Newcastle away - they were crap, even lost to Sheff Utd at home. But have got better, especially with Dyer back. We could get them on the Spurs' arrogance factor with a bit of luck.

Watford away - stuck in the bottom two, but they, like Bolton, are fighters. And this time it will be us who have had three games in a week. And let's not forget that last year when we pissed the league, Watford did hold us to two 0-0 draws.

If we got 9 points from these we would consolidate our European position :shock: , but we could get far less.
Last edited by 1960 on 30 Nov 2006 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Nov 2006 16:02

If we're doing that then we should chalk off the teams above us when they become uncatchable.