Shorey

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Shorey

by Royalwaster » 27 Dec 2006 20:12

Even though I generally think he's been playing really well for us this season especially going forward, it is a bit troubling how many goals have involved him being caught out of position:

Blackburn - OK as a result of a terrible cross-field pass

Chelsea's second

Several Arsenal goals - most came down the left

Everton's first

Any others?

I guess it is the price of his constant desire to go forward - did anyone see the statistic in the Observer of most crosses? He was up there in about 8th place with most of the others around him being wingers.

But it has been a concern of mine recently, how many goals have come down his side. Has anyone else noticed this?

Rhys The Royal

Re: Shorey

by Rhys The Royal » 27 Dec 2006 20:16

Royalwaster Even though I generally think he's been playing really well for us this season especially going forward, it is a bit troubling how many goals have involved him being caught out of position:

Chelsea's second

Everton's first

Any others?

I guess it is the price of his constant desire to go forward - did anyone see the statistic in the Observer of most crosses? He was up there in about 8th place with most of the others around him being wingers.

But it has been a concern of mine recently, how many goals have come down his side. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'd say that Chelsea's second was more Sonko's fault than Shorey's. Wright-Philips is a quality player so you can't really blame Shorey for that at all.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 27 Dec 2006 20:29

Reading play a formation the encourages the full backs to get forward to support the wingers, from time to time they will get caught out in the process.

Hope this helps.

JimGRoyal

by JimGRoyal » 27 Dec 2006 20:29

IMHO his lack of usual pace has let him down in the last 2 or 3 games, albeit against fast opposition

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 27 Dec 2006 20:42

Reading play a formation the encourages the full backs to get forward to support the wingers, from time to time they will get caught out in the process.

Hope this helps.

really ?? :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2006 21:31

I do think that in recent games his delivery from deadball situations has been well below his normal high standard.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 27 Dec 2006 21:39

RoyalBlue I do think that in recent games his delivery from deadball situations has been well below his normal high standard.

It does get frustrating when he can't clear the first man from a corner.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 27 Dec 2006 21:44

Hes been pretty off-form in general recently.
He's not off, is he? :oops: :shock:

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Dec 2006 21:48

Rhys The Royal
RoyalBlue I do think that in recent games his delivery from deadball situations has been well below his normal high standard.

It does get frustrating when he can't clear the first man from a corner.

That happened only once, yesterday, for christ's sake!

Shorey took two excellent free kicks though - the first Gunnarsson nodded narrowly wide despite being unmarked, and the second was curled in and whistled past the upright.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 27 Dec 2006 23:11

woodley_royal_124

Hope this helps.

So instead of quoting, do have any views or is that shorey is the next in line for some of your easy quoting???

PS Nicky Shory is one of RFC better players, i hope that helps you also.

International Royal

by International Royal » 27 Dec 2006 23:13

Shorey is playing well. You can't look at him in isolation as you can't in general with the whole team. Reading are a team in the true sense of the word and rely on combinations. Look at what Shorey has to work with on the left flank. He's far better with Convey obviously in the same way that Murty & Little have a great understanding. The left side has suffered for a number of reasons. Shorey is doing his best given those reasons.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 27 Dec 2006 23:16

Well said IR.

Its a team game imvho.

Observer

by Observer » 28 Dec 2006 01:01

[quote="Royalwaster"]Even though I generally think he's been playing really well for us this season especially going forward, it is a bit troubling how many goals have involved him being caught out of position:

Rubbish. When Shorey goes forward (or Murty) the hair stands up on the back of my neck, our midfield move forward in anticipation of an accurate cross, and that’s when we look (and are) most dangerous. And if you look off ball you will find that someone else always covers.

Match report on this site blames Oster.

Chelsea's second
Match report on this site blames Sonko.

Match report on this site blames no one in particular but says we badly missed Murty because most of the attacks (and goals) came down our right side.

Everton's first
Match report on this site blames no defender but rather bemoans the ineffectiveness of our strikers.

Any others?
You tell us!

We rarely advance or attack down the middle, where do you think our goal chances come from?

No! Rather it has been of concern that we are the highest team in the prem with a minus goal difference. Goal scoring chances are harder to come by in the prem, yet we have had lots. It’s our finishing touch that is our main weakness at the moment.

A few other recent quotes from THE WASTER

I'll go for my usual pessimism

There was a rumour that they were watching Kevin Doyle ... but Coppell said he was rubbish so I doubt we're going to sign him!

I guess I get the prize for most pessimistic supporter on here

yesterday, it is worth noting that all three goals from open play were down our left!

No improvement needed when it comes to result - I'd take a hard fought 1:0 against Chelsea any time.

I was sure all last season we'd blow it and hey we didn't! Similarly, the number of times in a game I've predicted that the other team will score and we go and nick one can't be a coincidence.

Tired of picking out Marcus?

I'll get your coat.

Cookie

by Cookie » 28 Dec 2006 02:02

Royalwaster Even though I generally think he's been playing really well for us this season especially going forward, it is a bit troubling how many goals have involved him being caught out of position:

Chelsea's second

Everton's first

The formation is good, Shorey is good, the current league position is good, but I do hear what you're saying.
Shorey can't stop everything that comes at him down the right. (our left) The left side of midfield is also culpable, step forward Steven Hunt.
Last edited by Cookie on 29 Dec 2006 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Dec 2006 02:43

2.8 lita injection
woodley_royal_124

Hope this helps.

So instead of quoting, do have any views or is that shorey is the next in line for some of your easy quoting???

PS Nicky Shory is one of RFC better players, i hope that helps you also.

I believe Nicky is engaged and needs no more volunteers to have his babies.....................I hope this helps you.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 28 Dec 2006 03:13

You are a complete plank, RoyalWaster.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Dec 2006 03:32

Quite, from the day little Nicky entered the world he's lived a faultless life and anyone who suggests otherwise is a complete plank.

Despite being caught out of position on a number of occasions , he has been blameless for every goal conceded down our left hand side and remains the most 2 footed player in the universe.

From now on, Ashley Cole should have a toe amputated whenever Shorey fails to make the England squad.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 28 Dec 2006 03:35

Woodcote Royal Quite, from the day little Nicky entered the world he's lived a faultless life and anyone who suggests otherwise is a complete plank.

Despite being caught out of position on a number of occasions , he has been blameless for every goal conceded down our left hand side and remains the most 2 footed player in the universe.

From now on, Ashley Cole should have a toe amputated whenever Shorey fails to make the England squad.

:roll:

It's a case of everyone over reacting. Shorey has missed a couple, but so has Sidwell, Harper, Ivar, Sonko, Murty...DLC got taken off at half time!

It's not fair to start another thread complaining about players who have come through the divisions and been consistent because they are having lapses at the top level.

GIVE THEM A oxf*rd BREAK!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Dec 2006 03:48

If only all our players got the same breaks as Nicky Shorey, who no one is allowed to criticize.

Why not leap to Sonko or Hunt's defence as they were named as scapegoats in the posts above that went to great lengths to defend Shorey?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 28 Dec 2006 03:55

Woodcote Royal If only all our players got the same breaks as Nicky Shorey, who no one is allowed to criticize.

Why not leap to Sonko or Hunt's defence as they were named as scapegoats in the posts above that went to great lengths to defend Shorey?

When you've read all the other threads where I praise Sonko for just about competing with the best striker in Europe at the moment or where I named Ivar as my player of the month or raved about Hunty playing out of his skin (and long may it continue) then come back to me. :x

Don't accuse me of leaping to one player's defence ahead of anyone elses. I'll gripe and grumble as much as anyone else, but it must all be in context. Sure so-and-so mislaid a pass, but what a tackle to make up for it...and so on.