Something to ponder.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Something to ponder.

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2007 19:37

Compare and contrast:

The FA Cup - apparently not worth taking seriously as the money is paltry compared to the riches on offer if we stay up.

Groundsharing with London Irish - makes an invaluable financial contribution, (but never mind what damage might be made to the pitch and our passing game).

Double standards?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2007 19:46

Not that I can see.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Something to ponder.

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 19:55

Platypuss what damage might be made to the pitch and our passing game).

Double standards?
reminds me of a 1970's England game in Cyprus or Greece or somewhere.

any good team can play good passing anywhere.

The LI and rugby in the past has not hindered us

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 20:01

Platypuss Compare and contrast:

The FA Cup - apparently not worth taking seriously as the money is paltry compared to the riches on offer if we stay up.

Groundsharing with London Irish - makes an invaluable financial contribution, (but never mind what damage might be made to the pitch and our passing game).

Double standards?

Is this a recent quote?

As I see it, LI's contribution was once a significant contribution but now pales in comparison to SKY's TV money........................and, if Coppell's remarks are anything to go by, perhaps we've seen the last of any more extensions to our tennants agreement.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 20:02

Woodcote Royal

Double standards?

Is this a recent quote?

As I see it, LI's contribution was once a significant contribution but now pales in comparison to SKY's TV money........................and, if Coppell's remarks are anything to go by, perhaps we've seen the last of any more exentions to our tennants agreement.
a shame....but there you go

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Jan 2007 20:04

Not at all, in recent years we've never had the Premiership money, London Irish no doubt have provided a good source of cash for the football club as well. We have never had a chance in the FA Cup.

While we maintain Premiership status they may decide to not to extent London Irish's deal to play here.

Simple really. We can't just say to London Irish we aren't going to let you play here anymore, we can do well in the FA Cup instead. Sadly contracts do mean something...somewhere!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2007 20:07

Woodcote Royal

Double standards?

Is this a recent quote?

As I see it, LI's contribution was once a significant contribution but now pales in comparison to SKY's TV money........................and, if Coppell's remarks are anything to go by, perhaps we've seen the last of any more extensions to our tennants agreement.

Sorry, not meant to be quotes at all, just summaries of a lot of people's views on the two cases from the two recent threads.

My feeling is that if we don't need to bother with the FA Cup as the money isn't worth it, then neither is keeping LI if it compromises our playing style in any way.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 20:08

AthleticoSpizz
Woodcote Royal

Double standards?

Is this a recent quote?

As I see it, LI's contribution was once a significant contribution but now pales in comparison to SKY's TV money........................and, if Coppell's remarks are anything to go by, perhaps we've seen the last of any more exentions to our tennants agreement.

a shame....but there you go

As long as we can avoid our pitch being ruined for months at a time, I for one hope this can be avoided but, given SC remarks, I think the egg chasers will have to accept that it's our pitch and we have a right to protect it.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 07 Jan 2007 20:11

Shouldn't this be in club policies? Maybe under the London Irish discussion!

:lol: :lol:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 20:13

It's Mr Mads Pitch

nevertheless

10k plus turn up to watch the rugby.....some of them are royals fans...........

Reading rugby club (apparently) get a percentage of LI's takings.

Personally, i would rather see it used 7 days a week not just 1 or 2 days per fortnight.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Jan 2007 20:13

Once again some forget where we were not too long ago, the money from LI is built into future budgets at RFC, we can hardly tell em to sod off, and then if things get worse expect anyone to want to play rugby here again.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 20:25

No one's forgetting but we have to accept that we've moved on.

If this relationship is to continue we can't run the risk of the pitch being torn apart which might result in us losing far more than LI's given us since the day they arrived.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 20:28

and I think the double postponement was a move forward.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Jan 2007 20:35

Perhaps, and just perhaps we could use some of the LI money to buy a plastic cover for the pitch, to be used when heavy rain is forecast pre match, though I doubt that it would have helped on Saturday.

If we have moved on why do we not offer Sidwell and pthers Premier dosh?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 20:40

AthleticoSpizz and I think the double postponement was a move forward.

I hope so, too.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Jan 2007 20:41

AthleticoSpizz The LI and rugby in the past has not hindered us

The pitch was absolutely shagged to pieces in 98-99. I remember seeing highlights of a Richmond game that season where it was pissing it down and the Richmond winger dived in from about 5 yds out to score a try, slid onto the track in the process and took half the pitch with him. Never liked Richmond, they took arrogance to previously unchartered levels. I was so glad when they went tits up. I have more time for Irish because they contribute so much more to the area.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 07 Jan 2007 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 20:41

The 17 Bus Perhaps, and just perhaps we could use some of the LI money to buy a plastic cover for the pitch, to be used when heavy rain is forecast pre match, though I doubt that it would have helped on Saturday.

Understand the wage bill has increased 4 fold and is still growing.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Jan 2007 20:43

Woodcote Royal
The 17 Bus Perhaps, and just perhaps we could use some of the LI money to buy a plastic cover for the pitch, to be used when heavy rain is forecast pre match, though I doubt that it would have helped on Saturday.

Understand the wage bill has increased 4 fold and is still growing.

All these extensions to contracts, lets sack a few :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 20:46

From Despair To Where?
AthleticoSpizz The LI and rugby in the past has not hindered us

The pitch was absolutely shagged to pieces in 98-99. I remember seeing highlights of a Richmond game that season where it was pissing it down and the Richmond winger dived in from about 5 yds out to score a try, slid onto the track in the process and took half the pitch with him.
That was Richmond....we were third division............and since then, LI paid 250k+ to returf the pitch with long lasting semi-artificle green stuff a couple of seasons ago

...its been no hinderance since

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Jan 2007 08:29

On the night we secured promotion, myself and another Nobber decided to have a drink in the hotel bar despite being told by the club that there was no point as LI were playing that day etc etc etc.

Interstingly enough, a lot of LI fans we spoke to thought - and we worried that - we would tell them to sling their hooks as we were in the Premier League......

As has been said, we have a contract with LI and Mr Mad will honour it; I think that the £35M investment means that it should be used more than 19 or so times a Year, and generally speaking neither LI or the concerts that have been put on have damaged the pitch in recent seasons.

Varied use of the stadium also raises the profile of the club and our town and that leads to increased investment from other organisations and has helped re-generate that part of Reading.

I'm happy for the rugger buggers to stay.