The Strength of Our Squad

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

The Strength of Our Squad

by Royal Rother » 20 Jan 2007 19:25

I really hope that someone reporting on the game (in the media) is smart enough to bring this point up.

Everyone, including every Reading supporter I read or spoke to pre-season, thought we would really struggle when the injuries set in as the bigger clubs had greater depth.

Instead we have found that everyone has stepped up to the plate wonderfully well, and, as typified by today's performance, replaced the more established players, with barely a jot of difference made.

This is a quite remarkable achievement in my book and one that will only truly sink in when the "glory" days of this season are a distant memory.

De la Cruz, Bikey, Long, Hunt et al, despite some difficulties when pushed in a bit before the full Coppell-effect had worked its magic, have been a revelation really.

Bizarrely, it is the strength of our squad that should be lauded, not its weakness feared.

Amazing really.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 20 Jan 2007 19:26

Fair points, but you should keep in mind the quality (or rather the lack of it) of the opposition today.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 20 Jan 2007 19:40

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Fair points, but you should keep in mind the quality (or rather the lack of it) of the opposition today.

You can only beat what's put in front of you. And has it not crossed your mind that our stand-ins made United look ordinary rather than the other way around :?:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2007 19:43

Our 'squad' players did a great job today, people filling in positions they werent' used to in some cases, people who were average last season are stepping up to show they are good enough in a higher league, and credit has to go to the coaching staff as well as the indvidual.

Really really enjoyed today, really satisfying win. 8)

De La Cruz
Bikey
Hunt
Long

Take a bow today.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Jan 2007 19:46

Alan Partridge Our 'squad' players did a great job today, people filling in positions they werent' used to in some cases, people who were average last season are stepping up to show they are good enough in a higher league, and credit has to go to the coaching staff as well as the indvidual.

De La Cruz
Bikey
Hunt
Long

Take a bow today.

Spot on.

Once again this goes to show that we have no stars apart from Coppell and his all pervasive magic.

DLC didn't have a single good game in the Prem before today.

Take a bow, Sir Steve!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2007 19:47

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Fair points, but you should keep in mind the quality (or rather the lack of it) of the opposition today.

Quite.

They are very good as occasional cover but week in week out against quality opposition? Not to mention that we now have no cover for our cover.

Time for a couple of astute signings in my book.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2007 19:56

RoyalBlue

Quite.

They are very good as occasional cover but week in week out against quality opposition? Not to mention that we now have no cover for our cover.

Again I would agree with that, if Kitson is hurt again and isn't coming back for a few weeks then a striker is a must, likeiwse a TOP centre half if Sonko is out. Filling in albeit excellently, it's a lot easier to do when you are 1 up at home to a poor side. That's with reference to Bikey.

We've got De La Cruz to cover, more than happy with that for the full back positions, Hunt and Convey now which is fantastic. Seol did well when on but we do need that extra bit of firepower and quality at the back long term.

So pleased tongiht. :D = AP this evening.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 20 Jan 2007 20:05

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 20 Jan 2007 20:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Alan Partridge Our 'squad' players did a great job today, people filling in positions they werent' used to in some cases, people who were average last season are stepping up to show they are good enough in a higher league, and credit has to go to the coaching staff as well as the indvidual.

De La Cruz
Bikey
Hunt
Long

Take a bow today.

Spot on.

Once again this goes to show that we have no stars apart from Coppell and his all pervasive magic.

Take a bow, Sir Steve!

He did well at Everton and looks a lot fitter than earlier in the season

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 20 Jan 2007 20:13

Everyone - take a bow son!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Jan 2007 20:24

absolutely worship our "squad" players

Gunnar being the top of the pile.

Steve C and staff know exactly what they are doing.........even if we don't see it that way.

Expect to see Hallsy getting the plaudits one day, if he survives the January cull.

De La Cruz.......what a bargain

YoungRoyal

by YoungRoyal » 20 Jan 2007 20:24

You are M4 Junction 11 and i claim my 5 pounds

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jan 2007 20:31

I have always really liked the look of Bikey - if he can get a run in the team (especially now he seems to have got his discipline issues sorted)I'm pretty confident he will prove to be a TOP centre half for us, or certainly as TOP as our budget will allow.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Jan 2007 20:33

YoungRoyal

You are M4 Junction 11 and i claim my 5 pounds

:lol:

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 20 Jan 2007 20:39

Tamworth_Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup

De La Cruz
Bikey
Hunt
Long

Take a bow today.

Spot on.

Take a bow, Sir Steve!

He did well at Everton and looks a lot fitter than earlier in the season

Scared the hell out of me in his first couple of appearances. Solid against Everton, MotM for me today.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jan 2007 20:56

Alan Partridge
RoyalBlue

Quite.

Again I would agree with that,

So, just about every squad members has now shown that he's good enough to play at this level so that means "it's time for a few astute signings" in the minds of some rather odd supporters of Reading FC :?

Believe it or not, at other clubs they've hit on this great idea of giving these players more chances to prove that they are worth a place in their starting line up.

And, guess what? Some of these clubs have saved themselves a fortune in the transfer market whereas we haven't had one player come through our youth set up for 15 years to to become a first regular team...............if only we knew why................

PS. If we play our reserve team up at Birmingham it really will be time to sack the manager :evil:
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 20 Jan 2007 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Jan 2007 20:58

Woodcote Royal PS. If we play our reserve team up at Birmingham it really will be time to sack the manager :evil:
Our reserve team is close to all that's available.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Jan 2007 21:00

We had a few out today but our long term injured list is very small.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2007 21:01

Woodcote Royal
Alan Partridge
RoyalBlue

Quite.

Again I would agree with that,

So, just about every squad members has now shown that he's good enough to play at this level so that means "it's time for a few astute signings" in the minds of some rather odd supporters of Reading FC :?

Believe it or not, at other clubs they've hit on this great idea of giving these players more chances to prove thet they are worth a place in their starting line up.

And, guess what? Some of these clubs have saved themselves a fortune in the transfer market whereas we haven't had one player come through our youth set up for 15 years to to become a first regular team...............if only we knew why................

PS. If we play our reserve team up at Birmingham it really will be time to sack the manager :evil:

I can't believe anyone would say our squad doesn't need additions with Kitson, Doyle and Sonko possibly out with fairly long term injuries. :shock:

We are very much at bare bones stage, the ones that have filled in have done very VERY well today. We do need additions though. Not saying Bikey is poor but that would have been the easiest game to come into at CB this season with the way the game was going and the standard of the Blades. If we are without Sonko long term, that has to be a slight worry.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Jan 2007 21:11

Squad still needs strengthening. We were up against poor opposition today, even if we played well. You have to remember that players such as De La Cruz played out of their skin, which may not always be the case. We desperately need a centre back in the absence of Sonks.