Hob Nob Super-Addict

Match Preview Man. City (A) 3rd Feb..........and Predictions

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jan 2007 23:07

The Match
Manchester City v Reading
FA Barclaycard Premiership
Saturday 3rd February, 3pm kick off
City Of Manchester Stadium

Reading will be looking to complete our 3rd double of the season, following our 1-0 victory over Man City on 11th September, that one goal being scored by Ivar Ingimarsson, who knocked himself out in the process of scoring from a Bobby Convey free kick. A nervous 67 minutes followed as Reading hung on to the one goal lead, but in reality they never looked troubled, and things were made easier when City's Dabo was sent off near the end for elbowing Steve Sidwell. The full report of this match can be found at http://www.royals.org/matdoc/110906.html

Man City’s recent home form is inconsistent, with only one home win since the middle of November (a 2-1 defeat of Everton on New Year’s day) whilst their last home League match saw an 0-3 embarrassment by Blackburn. Last week end they did thump Southampton 3-1 in the FA Cup, though, so they’ll be looking to repeat this form on Saturday.

In recent weeks, the main topic has been whether Stuart Pearce is able to be manager of both Man City and England U-21s at the same time. At time of writing, this debate is still unresolved.

The Ref
The excellent HOWARD WEBB (S Yorkshire) will take charge again – he refereed the corresponding home fixture. The Refwatch thread is at : http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56440

Current League Positions (as at 30th January)
Reading are currently 7th in the Barclaycard Premiership with 37 points from 25 games.
Man City are currently 13th in the Barclaycard Premiership with 30 points from 24 games.

Man City Home Record : PL 12, W 5, D 4, L 3, GF 10, GA 9, GD +1, Pts 19
Reading Away Record : PL 12, W 3, D 3, L 6, GF 13, GA 18, GD -5, Pts 12

Current Form (as at 30th January)
Last Eight Matches (league only)
Reading : WWDWLDLL
Man City : LDWWWLLL

Man City’s Top Scorers
Barton 5 (league) + 1 (cups)
Samaras 4 +2
Corradi 2+2 McCulloch, L 3
7 others have scored 1 league goal each.

Latest Squad News
Reading will almost certainly still be without Kevin Doyle and Ibrahima Sonko, two of the season’s biggest successes, as well as John Halls and Brynar Gunnarsson. Fit again Dave Kitson and Bobby Convey will probably be on the bench again, with Steven Hunt and Shane Long retaining their starting places.
With Ben Thatcher and Claudio Reyna recently leaving City, the only new face is likely to be French/Algerian youngster Djamel Abdoun, unless, as rumoured, they also sign Mido from Tottenham to bolster their strike force. Danny Mills and Paul Dickov are long-term injuries (the latter with a broken toe), whilst there are doubts about Nedum Onuoha and Sun Jihai.

History
Manchester City were founded as West Gorton (St. Marks) in 1880 by two wardens of St. Mark's Church in Gorton, a district in east Manchester. In 1887 they moved to a new ground at Hyde Road, in Ardwick just to the east of the city centre, and were renamed Ardwick A.F.C. to reflect their new location. Ardwick joined the Football League as founding members of the Second Division in 1892. Financial troubles in the 1893-94 season led to a reorganisation within the club, and Ardwick were reformed as Manchester City F.C.

City gained their first trophy by winning the Second Division in 1899 and with it promotion Division One, and won the FA in 1904, beating Bolton Wanderers 1-0 at Crystal Palace to win the FA Cup. In the seasons following the FA Cup triumph, the club was dogged by allegations of financial irregularities, culminating in the suspension of seventeen players in 1906, including captain Billy Meredith[2]. A fire at Hyde Road destroyed the main stand in 1920, and in 1923 the club moved to their new purpose-built stadium at Maine Road in Moss Side.

In the 1930s they reached two consecutive FA Cup finals, losing to Everton in 1933 and beating Portsmouth the following year. The club won the First Division title for the first time in 1937, but were relegated the following season, despite scoring more goals than any other team in the division! 20 years later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one and won the second. The 1956 final, where they beat beat Birmingham City 3-1, is the famous final when City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann continued to play after unknowingly breaking his neck.

After relegation to the Second Division in 1963, the future looked bleak with a record low home attendance of 8,015, but in 1965 the management team of Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison was appointed. In their first season, City won the Second Division title and made important signings in Mike Summerbee and Colin Bell. Two seasons later, they claimed the League Championship for the second time. Further trophies followed – the FA Cup in 1969, and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1970, as well as the League Cup that season - becoming the first English team to win a European trophy and a domestic trophy in the same season.

The club finished just one point behind the league champions on two occasions in the 1970s, and most City supporters fondly remember the last match of the 1973-74 season at Old Trafford, when a backheeled goal for City by former Manchester United hero Denis Law ensured the relegation of United.

After a period of decline, Malcolm Allison rejoined as manager for the second time in 1979, but squandered large sums of money on unsuccessful signings, such as Steve Daley. A succession of managers then followed – seven in the 1980s alone, as City reached the 1981 FA Cup final but lost in a replay to Spurs. The club were twice relegated from the top flight in the 1980s (in 1983 and 1987), but recovered to finish fifth in Division One twice in succession under the management of Peter Reid.

This was only a temporary respite, and following Reid's departure Manchester City's fortunes continued to fade. City members were founders of the Premier League upon its creation in 1992, but were relegated to Division One in 1996, and two seasons later accompanied Reading down into

Back in the Premier League, in 2003 the club moved to the new City of Manchester Stadium, originally built for the Commonwealth Games, and in March 2005 Kevin Keegan left and was replaced by Stuart Pearce who, as caretaker, led them to an eight-match unbeaten run at the end of the season as they just missed out on European qualification. - Pearce was rewarded by being given the manager's position on a permanent basis.

Fans Views
I asked Man City fans on http://www.mancityforum.co.uk and http://www.blueview.co.uk for their opinions.

Stuart Pearce - is he the answer or is the jury still out?
- Its hard to judge him when the board refuse to release the funds that we badly need to improve the squad but tactically he can prove to be pretty inept - Lord of the Samaras
- No i think he is doing well, its difficult as he is young and the jury is out on his signings...but I think he's a good coach a good motivator and wont hide behind poor reffing decisions when we get beat. - blueinyorkshire
- It's out - bluffing
- He’s going to manage England he’s that good, our loss for sure - chalks23
- jury still out - marbles
- The jury is still out on Pearce, his signings have been poor. - maineman

Which players have exceeded your expectations this season?
- Probably Nicky Weaver. he’s been pretty solid since he has returned but wether it lasts or not who knows - Lord of the Samaras
- Joey Barton has done the business, Micah has been a revelation, but the best news for us bar saturday..has been Nicky Weaver's return to the best form of his life. - blueinyorkshire
- Nicky Weaver - bluffing
- All of them we are above the bottom 3 - chalks23
- Richards - marbles
- Micah Richards - maineman

And who has been disappointing?
- Right where to start. Hamman, Dabo and corradi are about the worst but i have faith that if Hamman can regain his fitness he could become a major part of our team. - Lord of the Samaras
- Trevor sinclair, steven jordan, claudio reyna but most of all Benardo Corradi - blueinyorkshire
- All the rest except Dunne and Distin - bluffing
- none they are all massive players - chalks23
- Corradi - marbles
- Bernardo Corradi - maineman

Where do you think you'll finish this season?
- At the moment i think 14th but if we lose anymore players through injury without buying anyone this transfer window we could be in for a tussle at the bottom. - Lord of the Samaras
- The million dollar question...... i think in all honesty 12th - blueinyorkshire
- 15th- bluffing
- bottom 3 - chalks23
- 15th - marbles
- 10th - maineman

Manchester City and Reading have played each other relatively few times in the past - from what you know, what are your opinions of Reading as a team and as a place?
- Don't really know that much about Reading either the team or the place but you seem to have a team that is willing to battle out just like Wigan did last season. As for the place nearest i've been is Bracknell. - Lord of the Samaras
- Reading the team have absolutely suprised me, you have a great team ethic and play with pride in the badge, as for the place I go to Reading festival every year, top people top place simple as. - blueinyorkshire
- Well-organised, well-prepared, honest players. Insignificant place (sorry) - bluffing
- that steve coppell is ace - chalks23
- Good first season in prem and expensive place to live. - marbles
- Reading are holding their own this season, I have never been to Reading - maineman

Which of Reading's players would you want to see in Man City colours?
- It's gotta be either stevie sidwell or if you struggle next season try and pinch kevin doyle from you. - Lord of the Samaras
- Sidwell simple as that - blueinyorkshire
- Doyle (The striker coz we haven't got any) - bluffing
- are you having a lark? - chalks23
- Sidwell, Doyle - marbles
- Sidwell - maineman

Have you settled into Eastlands/COMS yet, and will it ever replace Maine Road?
- It’s a double edged sword concerning the stadium. at first it might have been considered a blessing but with former season ticket holders split up from each other it also meant a distinct lack of atmosphere unless its a big game. Maine road for me holds memories of my childhood days being spent in the kippax watching neil pointon , niall quinn and co and it will never be replaced- Lord of the Samaras
- Eastlands is a magnificent stadium, but will never beat Maine Road for atmosphere and nostalgia..... - blueinyorkshire
- Yes and it has - bluffing
- we got it for nowt so we cant really complain,spotland makes maine rd look good sonshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine - chalks23
- Maine road better atmosphere - marbles
- No, I miss Maine Road for the atmosphere - maineman

What is good and bad about the stadium?
- shite service, shite footy (at the moment) and worst of all is the fat sweaty idiot about 3 rows behind me, we can be winning 3-0 and everything will be going our way but he will still shout about just how shite we really are and crap like that when its not needed - Lord of the Samaras
- Good - facilities, view, Bad - Pie quality poor, lack of atmos - blueinyorkshire
- Everything is great. Especially good is the view from everywhere. - bluffing
- its right good, cause the red scum had to pay for it out their council tax money, but its not a patch on OT - chalks23
- Great stadium - marbles
- Great views and easy to entry, the beer is too dear - maineman

Tell me something I probably don't know about Man City.
- err we didn't used to be so crap at football..... honest- Lord of the Samaras
- We have the oldest season ticket holder of all premiership clubs, aged 97 - blueinyorkshire
- We hold the record for the biggest ever attendance. More fittignly, we're the only team to have been relegated as the previous year's champions. (typical City) - bluffing
- our pies are massive - chalks23
- City have biggest home crowd in GB 85,600 IN 1934 - marbles
- We will win the Champions League in 3 years - maineman

What are your score predictions for this match?
- probably 2-1 city but don't quote me on that - Lord of the Samaras
- It should be a good game, im thinking 2-2 - blueinyorkshire
- City 0 Reading 0 (It's what we do 0-0, right now) - bluffing
- Score prediction 1-1 - marbles
- 2-1 to City - maineman

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 30 Jan 2007 23:19

1-1 - Leroy Lita

Can see it being a fairly average game, bit of a battle. Hopefully Gunnarsson starts at CB as he's very solid and compatible with Ingimarsson, better option to Bikey.

URZ.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 31 Jan 2007 10:33

Thanks for efforts with review Dirk. My heart yearns for a 7 nil thrashing of city to reverse my first ever Reading game.My head is going for a 1-1 on this occasion.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 31 Jan 2007 15:31

6-0 Reading

Lita (3, 15, 69)
Long (26, 75)
Kingsley (90+6)

FORZA READING

by FORZA READING » 31 Jan 2007 15:57

city 0-1 Reading

Lita 67

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 31 Jan 2007 17:43

Citeh 1 Reading 1 (Sidwell)

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 31 Jan 2007 18:21

Interesting team selection for this one can only presume that Duberry will partner Ivor, and will have a strong bench I shud think with Fed, Halford,Kits, convey and gunnar if fit, all of a sudden it looks a strong squad, City dont score much and we have netted 19 in the last six matches.

City 1-3 Reading (Lita 2, Harper)

royals pete

by royals pete » 31 Jan 2007 19:08

Now I'm all for optimism with our team and have been all season as other posters willknow !

Not made my mind up yet but am going to Man C with intention of seeing a good performance. Must be mindful however that City have not played during the week (unless I've missed them ) . Just hope our lads don't suffer like they did at Wig after 3 matches in a week inluding the Villa game when Wig hadn't played

Food for thought

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 31 Jan 2007 20:36

1-0 Reading

Referee (52)

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 01 Feb 2007 16:06

Good preview, thanks DG

I predict a 1-0 reading again, same scorer.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Feb 2007 16:31

So do I.

9-4 to win away???

Worth a punt too.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Feb 2007 13:37

Unbeaten in Jan usualy means bad Feb so 1-0 to City.

Magnus

by Magnus » 02 Feb 2007 13:40

Jackson Corner Unbeaten in Jan usualy means bad Feb so 1-0 to City.

Whoever said football fans are superstitious.

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 02 Feb 2007 13:42

Royals 2-1 Man city
Lita---------Barton
Harper

royalflush

by royalflush » 02 Feb 2007 16:37

Good read, thanks.

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 02 Feb 2007 17:30

Man City 1-1 Reading
Samaras 23 Kitson 76

Att:35,023

bassavage

by bassavage » 03 Feb 2007 10:48

Man City 1

Barton 75

Reading 2

Lita 12
Kitson 62

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 03 Feb 2007 13:07

City 1-1 Reading
Vassell....Kitson

Right I'm off to the game now, C'mon URZZZZZ

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Feb 2007 13:41

I've got a tenner on Citeh.

Reckon 2-1 today.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 03 Feb 2007 13:45

City 1 (Barton) - Reading 2 (Kitson & Sidwell)