Time for Halford's debut ?

Nezhen

Time for Halford's debut ?

by Nezhen » 14 Mar 2007 09:25

Anyone else think that Halford should be given his chance this Saturday, even if it is just as a second half sub ?.

Seeing as he can play right-back, centre midfield or right-midfield, there's obviously more than one position that he can fill in for.

Personally, I think we have to start trying post Sidwell scenario's as it looks like this season has been treated as one long goodbye from our Sidders. I would look at bringing Halford on for him in the second half?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 09:28

He was injured for Arsenal and said he would have been on the bench for that game, so if it wasn't for that then he would have made his debut there. He will come on against Pompey at some stage

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 09:51

Who will he replace on the bench?

Federici,DLC,Gunnarsson,Oster or Doyle.

Do any of those deserve to be left out of the squad?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 09:54

I'm only going by his quote on his Icons page. It said he was going to be in the squad for Arsenal but picked up an injury three days before.

I can only assume he would have taken DLC's space.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 14 Mar 2007 09:55

Vision Who will he replace on the bench?

No, but life's a bitch!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 09:57

biscuitsrus

No, but life's a bitch!

LOL. Great man-management there.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 09:58

biscuitsrus

No, but life's a bitch!

You are John Gregory and I claim my £5

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 14 Mar 2007 09:59

On it's way!

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 14 Mar 2007 10:00

biscuitsrus On it's way!

Although perhaps not the "SC way"

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 10:02

Huntley & Palmer I'm only going by his quote on his Icons page. It said he was going to be in the squad for Arsenal but picked up an injury three days before.

I was replying to the thread originator but DLC would probably be the more likely.

I just wondered that given our general policy of making those on the outside earn their way into the squad, what Halford will have done to oust any of the above players from the squad.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 14 Mar 2007 10:03

Being in the squad and being selected for the match 16 are two different things.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 10:09

Vision
Huntley & Palmer I'm only going by his quote on his Icons page. It said he was going to be in the squad for Arsenal but picked up an injury three days before.

I was replying to the thread originator but DLC would probably be the more likely.

I just wondered that given our general policy of making those on the outside earn their way into the squad, what Halford will have done to oust any of the above players from the squad.

Without having seen him play for us or Colchester, I can only assume he offers the same versatility as DLC but without the experience. So as you say, currently he has no chance unless Murty gets injured. Even then he may have to settle for a place on the bench while DLC starts in the right back slot.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 10:10

AJ~ Being in the squad and being selected for the match 16 are two different things.

True, but the inference from Halford's icons page is that he would be on the bench and the suggestion from Nehzen is that he should play a part in the game. Therefore i think it's a fair question to ask whether we think DLC or any of them other players who have made vital contributions in recent games, should be dropped to give Halford his debut?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Mar 2007 10:11

For me Halford should be on the bench in place of DLC. DLC has done nothing wrong but the fact that Halford can play in a number of positions gives him the nod in my opinion.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 14 Mar 2007 10:12

Federici, Doyle, Oster and Duberry will be on the bench. That leaves one place for one of Long, Halford, DLC or Gunnarson. Given Bryn's performances lately I can't see him being left out all together and he's also very versatile so we may have to wait for Halford. More chance of him being involved against Spurs as some of the squad will have been away playing internationals.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 10:19

Wycombe Royal For me Halford should be on the bench in place of DLC. DLC has done nothing wrong but the fact that Halford can play in a number of positions gives him the nod in my opinion.

I'd be inclined to go with DLC while we still have something to aim for. Our next four games are key for whether we end up with the option of a UEFA Cup slot. I would expect to see Halford should it all go pear shape, probably for Watford at home.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Mar 2007 10:24

Huntley & Palmer
Wycombe Royal For me Halford should be on the bench in place of DLC. DLC has done nothing wrong but the fact that Halford can play in a number of positions gives him the nod in my opinion.

I'd be inclined to go with DLC while we still have something to aim for. Our next four games are key for whether we end up with the option of a UEFA Cup slot. I would expect to see Halford should it all go pear shape, probably for Watford at home.

From the little I've seen of Halford he must be a better player than DLC. With next season in mind, as well as trying to achieve the best results this season, I think he should be replacing DLC on the bench and given a chance to sample the pace of the Premiership etc.

DLC has done nothing wrong as such, but Halford just looks a better player and there is no place for sentiment in professional football.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Mar 2007 10:27

It depends what we're looking for - DLC is far better going forward than he is as an out-and-out defender, but SC's game plan may not need us to attack from the back.

Not seen enough of Halford to comment on his merits in comparison yet.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 14 Mar 2007 10:31

The answer is to up Premier League sub benches to 7 players like with Internationals and European competition. The least they can do with the transfer window malarkey meaning clubs need such squad depth.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 14 Mar 2007 10:33

Do people think that Doyle will be on the bench? I've not looked at OS but he must be fully fit now.