Back From the Game

178 posts
Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

Back From the Game

by Dangerous » 09 Apr 2007 22:33

Well, not really, back from my mates house who I'm house sitting, for who has a 40 odd inch HD wide screen flat screen tv and a fridge full of lager! But anyway...

What a pile of gash, totally dominated them but with no end product what-so-ever. Sidwell, well, how he got man of the match I have no idea, played like he's already got his mind on Spanish beaches and a move to somewhere who'll pay him £40k a week.

Seol, it's a good job his name isn't spelt soul really as he has none.

Why did we not make any replacements? We were crying out for it by Half Time, Halford should be involved, although for what it's worth, I thought De La, De La Cruz had a good game after Hreidarsson went off.

What. Does. Gunnarsson. Have. To. Do. To. Get. In. The. Starting. 11?

Because, I can't see it, he should be there, we should make room for him, either Sidwell or the Crab should make room for him in my eyes

Oster deserved time on the pitch tonight, Seol lets his head go down to early and although he was involved til the end, he just had no end product

The amount of crosses we put in was great, but it's not that great when we have nobody taller than about 5' 9" on the pitch, if Kitson had been on then all those crosses may have led to something. Why do we seem to put less crosses in the box like that when Kitson does play?

Hunt for me had a great second half, and should have done better with his chance.

2 points lost in our push for Europe as opposed to a point gained.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 09 Apr 2007 22:44

Your summary is pretty much how I saw it too.

Was hopeful that Doyle ansd Oster would come on around the 60 minute mark, but hey ho, the losing run comes to an end and we can kick on now with no pressure on our shoulders, and we'd have taken that at the start of the season!

We played well.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 09 Apr 2007 22:48

Coppell hates subs.

I wouldn't worry about it. It wasn't a classic performance and I doubt that Kits or Doyler would have got much more change out of the Charlton defence than Leroy and Long.

Seol put in more effort than most of his games in the run-up to Christmas put together, though I agree that Oster probably would have had more joy.

Still, Coppell doesn't want European football yet and it shows.

Trust in Sir Steve.

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 09 Apr 2007 22:51

I'm also not back from the Valley, but an almost empty pub: Charlton vs Reading doesn't attract too many Americans ...

I thought we played decently and had most of the possession, but forced only one real save from Carson (had he passed it to his left, we may well have scored). We had 10+ corners without threatening; a number of them failed to beat the first defender.

I also agree that the game was crying out for substitutes, particularly Oster and Kitson. Seol and Long didn't contribute much IMHO. Long tries but obviously is still on an upward trajectory and will continue to get better. Seol doesn't seem to bother running into space when off the ball; when he has the ball he dribbles and jinks and then loses it.

I thought Sidwell was okay (decent tackles, wayward shooting), Shorey, Ingimarsson, Hunt and De La Cruz were the best of an average (but not bad) bunch.

Right at the end, Long got shoved but didn't go to ground, and the Fox Soccer Channel commentators said that we might have well got a penalty had he did. Did anyone else see the incident? They didn't replay it, so I only got one look at it.
Last edited by Boston Royal on 09 Apr 2007 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 09 Apr 2007 22:51

I thought we played well tonight, but ball watching at times at the back.

Thought Hunt had a blinder second half and was unlucky with his header.

Shorey played well along with Sidwell.

We started to show confidence and having a full team out tonight i think we would of won, they looked there for the taking. A point will do away from home, lets hope we kick start from here

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 09 Apr 2007 22:55

Boston Royal
Right at the end, Long got shoved but didn't go to ground, and the Fox Soccer Channel commentators said that we might have well got a penalty had he did. Did anyone else see the incident? They didn't replay it, so I only got one look at it.

Sky noticed it and thought El Karkourai was lucky not to have given away a penalty as he had no intention of getting to the ball from his face. The reverse angle showed him very fortunate and very stupid for doing such a thing.

newbiscuit

by newbiscuit » 09 Apr 2007 23:01

Dangerous, with your knowledge i'm suprised that your not a top manager in the premier league! (Extremely sarcastic).

Good away performance. Good all round display. Just a little unlucky not to nick it against a team that are fighting for their lives, and have been on a bit of a roll lately.
Very tricky fixture. I guess some people are never happy. No doubt if we don't better this years achievements some morons will be calling for Sir Steve to be sacked.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 09 Apr 2007 23:27

RoyalBird
Boston Royal

Sky noticed it and thought El Karkourai was lucky not to have given away a penalty as he had no intention of getting to the ball from his face. The reverse angle showed him very fortunate and very stupid for doing such a thing.

That Moroccan bloke should have been sent off. Two moments of blatantly bringing the game into disrepute. I do believe those warrant a yellow card each.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back From the Game

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Apr 2007 23:31

Dangerous Seol, it's a good job his name isn't spelt soul really as he has none.
predictable, boring and actually wrong tonight

agree about Gunnar tho'

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 09 Apr 2007 23:33

zac naloen
RoyalBird
Boston Royal

That Moroccan bloke should have been sent off. Two moments of blatantly bringing the game into disrepute. I do believe those warrant a yellow card each.

Kark should've been sent off waay before he shoved Long - and it was a blatant shove. I was watching with Tivo and couldn't believe he didn't get at least a card.

Overall a decent performance considering the 5 changes. The back 4 worked quite well. Wing play made for some fun watching but we just couldn't do anything in the box.

1 point - hey I think we'll take it.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 09 Apr 2007 23:35

One of my gripes short corners

Useless in my opinion anyway, but being open minded I can see how the element of surprise may be good we you have some momentum. So why did we do it twice when a corner had to be retaken and the receiver had already been picked up by a marker.

Grinds my gears!!!

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 09 Apr 2007 23:41

Was it just me or did anyone else feel that Alexandre Song' challenge on Sidwell was a deemable red card? thought it was a shocking challenge

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 09 Apr 2007 23:42

zac naloen
RoyalBird
Boston Royal

I think that the other incedent you are thinking of was by Song.

I thought it was quite a good performance considering the changes. The centre backs were both pretty solid and Shorey did well going forward. He obviously sensed an oppotunity to create against a poor attacking outfit and had a couple of decent runs and a good shot. DLC did ok but got caught flat footed a few times and I think that Halford is the better replacement to Murty as he's got more pace. Having said that DLC hasn't featured recently so is maybe a bit rusty. The same could be said for Seol who showed good momemnts but gave the ball away a bit too often. Unfortunately he's a real confidence player and we'll only see the best from him when he regularly features. Sidwell was my MOTM and dominated the midfiled which enabled us to control the game, especially in the second half, and he made good forward runs. Harps did well in possesion and Hunty had a good game getting in lots of crosses (although not always very good). Finally I thought that the two up front worked quite well togeather but never had any passes over the top to use their pace. Charltons defence played fairly deep so crosses to two average/short strikers played into their hands a little.

It may look like 2 points dropped but after a run where we've failed to pick up points anything from this game would be a stepping stone to start winning some games.
Last edited by ScottishRoyal on 09 Apr 2007 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2007 23:45

Agreed, I have never ever seen a short corner work for us in the last 11-12 years. That and long oxf*rd throws. No it isn't as good as a corner, it's bloody crap.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2007 23:46

Coppell's Right Footed 11 Was it just me or did anyone else feel that Alexandre Song' challenge on Sidwell was a deemable red card? thought it was a shocking challenge

No it wasn't just you. cynical and potentially quite nasty.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 09 Apr 2007 23:54

Just got back and it was a game we really should have won. We had loads of possession but no real cutting edge which is as a result of playing a 4-4-2 with only one forward (at the moment Long ain't quite there) with the quality for the premiership.

It's not true that having small forwards restricts our emphasis on wing play. It just requires a different sort of ball. Too often I felt we were crossing the ball at the wrong time and at the wrong trajectory. You can play good wing based football with small forwards as long as the delivery is quality which with Little, Shorey and less consistently Hunt it normally is. With Lita and Long upfront we limit our scope of the type of cross we can put in. We can't put in the big loopy crosses I'd expect Doyle and Kitson to get but we can still put in the early, lower crosses which predators like Lita and Long thrive on.

Sidwell was infuriating today. I find it so hard to slag him off because of the amount of ball he wins but too often I find him guilty of not actually being a very good football player! Never before has a player been so overhyped by the media. His lack of passing and shooting ability will mean he will never be a genuine box to box midfielder. I personally see him as a brilliant defensive midfielder breaking up attacks and playing the 5 yard balls but due to Harper's lack of attacking prowess he has to do too much going forward which I don't think he is particularly good at.

My man of the match today was Hunt...at least he wants Europe! His work ethic was superb as always but I also think he proved that he has the quality as well. He constantly beat his marker, won back possession countlessly and put in a couple of really dangerous crosses.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 09 Apr 2007 23:59

from behind the goal it looked like a career threatening challenge, look at sidders response!!

hopefully we'll see it on MOTD again soon, and maybe they'll compare it with the wigan player's challenge that ot him sent off

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 09 Apr 2007 23:59

The Goat was fed Just got back and it was a game we really should have won. We had loads of possession but no real cutting edge which is as a result of playing a 4-4-2 with only one forward (at the moment Long ain't quite there) with the quality for the premiership.

It's not true that having small forwards restricts our emphasis on wing play. It just requires a different sort of ball. Too often I felt we were crossing the ball at the wrong time and at the wrong trajectory. You can play good wing based football with small forwards as long as the delivery is quality which with Little, Shorey and less consistently Hunt it normally is. With Lita and Long upfront we limit our scope of the type of cross we can put in. We can't put in the big loopy crosses I'd expect Doyle and Kitson to get but we can still put in the early, lower crosses which predators like Lita and Long thrive on.

I agree with you that sidwell cant hit a barn door and some of his passing is poor at times. But he played the ball of the game to Seol in the first half when he had his shot. Great pass outside of the boot. I have to admit i don't know what harper contributes to the game. If Gunnarsson and Doyle had of played this evening i really think we would of won, but i would of settled for a point at the start of the game. Hunt MOM.. second half was sublime beat his man, though needs to get the ball in earlier

Sidwell was infuriating today. I find it so hard to slag him off because of the amount of ball he wins but too often I find him guilty of not actually being a very good football player! Never before has a player been so overhyped by the media. His lack of passing and shooting ability will mean he will never be a genuine box to box midfielder. I personally see him as a brilliant defensive midfielder breaking up attacks and playing the 5 yard balls but due to Harper's lack of attacking prowess he has to do too much going forward which I don't think he is particularly good at.

My man of the match today was Hunt...at least he wants Europe! His work ethic was superb as always but I also think he proved that he has the quality as well. He constantly beat his marker, won back possession countlessly and put in a couple of really dangerous crosses

I agree with you that sidwell cant hit a barn door and some of his passing is poor at times. But he played the ball of the game to Seol in the first half when he had his shot. Great pass outside of the boot. I have to admit i don't know what harper contributes to the game. If Gunnarsson and Doyle had of played this evening i really think we would of won, but i would of settled for a point at the start of the game. Hunt MOM.. second half was sublime beat his man, though needs to get the ball in earlier
Last edited by Coppell's Right Footed 11 on 10 Apr 2007 00:08, edited 2 times in total.

addsrfc

by addsrfc » 10 Apr 2007 00:00

pards get any stick from our fans tonight ?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Apr 2007 00:07

weybridgewanderer from behind the goal it looked like a career threatening challenge, look at sidders response!!

hopefully we'll see it on MOTD again soon, and maybe they'll compare it with the wigan player's challenge that ot him sent off

MOTD didn't show it but did show the Lita incident! Wonder if there will be any repercussions

178 posts