Does He Know The Importance Of That Goal?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Does He Know The Importance Of That Goal?

by RG30 » 20 Apr 2007 00:44

Said the commentator on the Royals on the Up video when Jamie Cureton scored THAT goal against Brentford 5 years ago today. While Hobnob in typical style is dominated by threads slating Sidwell, any possible ground expansion which will benefit everyone in the long run, just remember where you were 5 years ago today and we were 13 minutes from not making the Playoffs

When Jamie Cureton deftly lifted the ball over Smith in the Brentford goal with thirteen minutes left, the blue and white end of the ground erupted, and although there was there were a few anxious moments before the final whistle, I somehow felt that we would hang on for the point we deserved. This was gritty performance, which was just what was needed, but for most of the game I had a strong feeling we were destined for the play-offs again. It was far too tense an occasion to be enjoyable and when the final whistle blew the feeling of elation was heavily laced with relief. We were up at last. The sun shone players and fans sang and danced. It was a moment to savour.

The biggest surprise in selection was the omission of Watson, our most composed and skilful central midfield player, but to keep the balance in the centre of midfield I suppose Hughes had to play. Pardew's selection was vindicated in the end mainly because Parky had an inspired game. Nobody could have fought harder than he did for this result - and he didn't even get a yellow card! I was worried that Pardew might play for the draw but there was no evidence of sitting back. Neither was there any reckless charge to get an early goal. Thankfully we got the tactics right.

The full 90 minutes as you would expect was fiercely contested but it has to be said Reading looked the more likely team to play controlled football. Brentford looked to play the ball forward quickly to their big men up front, a tactic which has caused us problems this season. The first half produced few real chances. Brentford's main threat was in the air from set pieces. One header from Burgess produced a superb save from Whitehead. Forster as always looked to be Reading's most likely player to breach the home team's defence with his pace. Butler battled away up front but is not yet back to his best after his long lay off. When half time came the scoreline suited the Royals but with Brentford needing a win, something had to give.

We didn't have long to wait. Five minutes after the interval Owusu outpaced Williams on the left and crossed for Rowlands to hammer the goal that made my heart sink. The home fans celebrated and I was left wondering where a goal from Reading was coming from. We had scrapped well so far but Hughes and Parky were not creating much and Brentford's defence seemed to be doing a good job of stifling Butler and Forster. With their season disintegrating the Royals raised their game and began to mount some real pressure for the first time. Then Pardew made the crucial change. Igoe was replaced by Cureton, and having learned from his mistake at Cambridge, he pushed Forster out wide on the right and paired Cureton with Butler. The little striker needed only ten minutes to make his mark and he did so with a goal worthy of a higher division, running onto a Parkinson flick before calmly lifting the ball over the advancing 'keeper. Fitting that our best finisher should score the crucial goal.

Of course they didn't give up, but the body language of some of the Brentford team said it all. They were looking around at each other as if surprised that we were back in the game and not quite sure what to do about it.

Reading fans have suffered over the last few weeks of the season but in the end the team did enough to go up - just. We may have lacked the drive to win games when it mattered, and dropped more points than we should have in the run in, but you can't fault their resilience and determination not to lose! As we celebrated, the police and stewards had the unenviable task of fending off a handful of thugs masquerading as Brentford fans. We were too busy wallowing in the glory of promotion to care what they were up too. What rounded the day off nicely for me was the way a large number of real Brentford fans waited about twenty minutes after the game to applaud the Reading team for their achievement. They appreciated how hard we had fought for our reward. Good luck to them in play-offs.

All that remains to be done now is to wait for the hangover to clear and contemplate the World Cup, a summer holiday, and new season in Division One. You never know - we might be going to Cardiff again next year!

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 20 Apr 2007 00:56

And to think that now Brentford are in the 4th division

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 20 Apr 2007 00:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmA6thXVYBQ&mode=related&search=

HAPPY DAYS

Didn't see where Cureton's ball landed as i was at the back but it didn't stop me going mental!!!!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 20 Apr 2007 01:02

5 current/ex Reading players in that Brentford starting 11 plus Coppell and Downes.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 20 Apr 2007 01:42

Team Burbs in pub before game.

Reading fans celebrating Cureton's strike.

Players celebrate infront of away end. Brentford fans had ran over looking for a fight, sadly many fans decided to respond by throwing coins and missiles at them.

Everyone in Three Guineas after returning.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 20 Apr 2007 07:24

Katie Marsden

Team Burbs in pub before game.

Everybody slates Jay for the Ginger theme day but forget that it was Team Burbs who started it all with "Batman Day".

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Apr 2007 08:04

Katie Marsden

Players celebrate infront of away end. Brentford fans had ran over looking for a fight, sadly many fans decided to respond by throwing coins and missiles at them.

I can see the infamous "Crutch Boy" in that pic. Saw him at Brentford station after the game clobbering Reading fans with one of his crutches. LOL

There were a few bloodied and bruised Reading fans on that train home. The curious thing for me was how quiet it was on the train. I think everyone was just too emotionally exhausted to celebrate.

RIP ELM Park

Re: Does He Know The Importance Of That Goal?

by RIP ELM Park » 20 Apr 2007 08:12

RG30 just remember where you were 5 years ago today and we were 13 minutes from not making the Playoffs

Small point but you might just want to remember that goal meant we didn't make the playoffs.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 20 Apr 2007 08:35

happy memories. was up in the corner for that one and that is one of my memories ill cherish for my later years.

A1ndy

by A1ndy » 20 Apr 2007 08:41

Jerry St Clair
Katie Marsden

I can see the infamous "Crutch Boy" in that pic. Saw him at Brentford station after the game clobbering Reading fans with one of his crutches. LOL

There were a few bloodied and bruised Reading fans on that train home. The curious thing for me was how quiet it was on the train. I think everyone was just too emotionally exhausted to celebrate.

I will never forget the "Jamie Cureton what a bargain chant" when walking through Reading station after returning, and there was one guy on his mobile phone who put his phone in the air for whoever he was speaking to, to listen!! The noise was amazing and its a day I will never forget, proud day to be a Royals fan.

Oh yeah and 80p for a can of lager in the local newsagents, happy days that was!

Yeah that guy got a kick in in the end with the crutches, and deserved every one he got!

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 20 Apr 2007 09:11

Ah the memories......... of watching the match at the Mad Stad on the big screen, impromptu pitch invasion at the end and then welcoming the players home to delirious scenes... :)

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 20 Apr 2007 09:11

Happy memories (although I was sat among the Brentford fans and nearly ruptured something internally keeping still and quiet when JC's goal dropped in). Reading end was awesome to see, and I wished I could have been there.

VERY satisfying Thameside pint after the game, among some subdued Bees fans....

anR

by anR » 20 Apr 2007 09:13

It's also fairly ironic that the Brentford player who dived into the goal fruitlessly trying to clear Cureton's goal after it went in was none other than Reading's current player of the season elect, Ivar Ingimarrson...

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Apr 2007 09:20

can we have both starting elevens / subs / managers etc for this game?!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Apr 2007 09:25

Reading: Whitehead, Murty, Viveash, Shorey, Hughes, Igoe (Cureton 67), Parkinson, Williams, Salako, Butler (Savage 89), Forster. Subs not used: Talia, Roget, Watson

Brentford: Smith, Dobson, Ingimarsson, Powell, Anderson, Rowlands, Hunt (Williams 82), Sidwell, Evans, Owusu, Burgess. Subs not used: Gottskalksson, Boxall, O'Connor, Theobald.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Apr 2007 09:30

There were near riotous scenes when the screen went off at the stadium. ITV DigitaLOL

irishroyal81

by irishroyal81 » 20 Apr 2007 09:46

The top 4 players of the team this year imho all played that day. Brentford had hunt, sidwell and ingimarson and reading had shorey. Funny how things work out.

anR

by anR » 20 Apr 2007 09:48

irishroyal81 The top 4 players of the team this year imho all played that day. Brentford had hunt, sidwell and ingimarson and reading had shorey. Funny how things work out.

Don't forget Murty's match saving clearance...

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 20 Apr 2007 10:30

anR
irishroyal81 The top 4 players of the team this year imho all played that day. Brentford had hunt, sidwell and ingimarson and reading had shorey. Funny how things work out.

Don't forget Murty's match saving clearance...

All too easlily forgotten that clearence.

LOL at our subs..."Savage, Roget, Talia." :?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2007 10:38

Jerry St Clair The curious thing for me was how quiet it was on the train. I think everyone was just too emotionally exhausted to celebrate.

Crammed into a tiny goods car I was in no need for singing, but you'd have struggled to wipe the smile off my face though, despite imminent suffocation!

As for those last 13 minutes, I spent them at the back of the stand smoking furiously, unable to get back down the terrace to mates having gone for a slash :oops:

5 years ago? As others have said without that goal how different would things have been for both sides?

Mind you, we should have sacked Pardew and brought in Dave Bassett 5 years ago yesterday :lol: