Does Coppell really not want Europe?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Does Coppell really not want Europe?

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2007 12:24

This is interesting - does Coppell want it or not? It is possible he actually does. Let me just say that I think he is much more pro-europe than he lets on. He said on his bbc interview that 'every time we talk about europe we seem to lose three or four games on the spin.' This comment to me suggests that he is of course focusing on winning every game but does not want Europe to distract his players. If we get there he'll find some way of fitting it into his preparations. If we don't well we've had a wonderful season. Anyway it leaves us with a really interesting last 3 games - who'd have thunk it?!?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Apr 2007 12:27

What's more important to him, getting as many points as we can or qualifying for Europe?

It's getting as many points as we can.

If that means by default qualifying for Europe, that will be fantastic, and he will relish the challenge.

This manager of ours is a winner.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 22 Apr 2007 12:30

He was pretty unequivocal at the forum - they are going for it BUT there are some major implications if we get it ....

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Apr 2007 12:33

Europe does not equal relegation.

Let Coppell be cautious, that's his style.

Meanwhile we're 7th and in with a good chance of European football.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2007 12:35

Behindu He was pretty unequivocal at the forum - they are going for it BUT there are some major implications if we get it ....

That's interesting that he said that. The way he talks about Europe reminds me of the way he was talking about promotion last year i.e he didn't want to put the players off the task at hand. It makes sense not to enter the Intertoto - there is no reason to be desperate about Europe (which some of the managers - read Hughes and Allardyce are). By finishing seventh we wouldn't have to qualify via that competition. I think that Newcastle's season was really hurt by all those qualifying games...

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 22 Apr 2007 12:37

As ever Coppell talked very sensibly about it.

It would stretch our resources greatly, and his as a manager. But I don't think he would shirk the challenge. I suspect we may just miss out, but his juggling of the squad so far appears to be giving us fresh impretus rather than causing our season to tail off, as some said it would.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2007 12:41

Behindu As ever Coppell talked very sensibly about it.

It would stretch our resources greatly, and his as a manager. But I don't think he would shirk the challenge. I suspect we may just miss out, but his juggling of the squad so far appears to be giving us fresh impretus rather than causing our season to tail off, as some said it would.

I see what you mean - the way he used those subs yesterday was a stroke of genius. I normally think Coppell waits too long to make subs but he waited until Bolton were tiring and brought on three impact players. Bolton didn't know what to do. An inspired bit of management by Stevie C yesterday - thus the fist-stabbing celebrations...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Apr 2007 12:43

Coppell is God.

Simple as.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 22 Apr 2007 12:51

I`m sure Sir Steve would love European comptition for the club and to be able to have the Squad depth and resources to battle full on on several fronts simultaneously.
My understanding is that he feels we are not ready to stretch things so far at the present time and could pay a big price if we commit too much too quickly.
The team want to win each game as it comes and should we find ourselves with these extra fixtures then I would imagine SC will prioritize the Euro games in the same way he has for the other cup competitions namely to use them to involve players who for whatever reason are not figuring regularly in the key games namely the premiership which will always be priority numero uno.
Some may accuse Sir Steve of dis respecting cup tournaments but he is the ultimate pragmatist and will only do what is right for the club at any given moment in time.Long may he reign over us.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 22 Apr 2007 12:52

Allelujah! It looks like the penny is finally dropping!!

Of course he wants to win every match. And what happens if we win every match children?

We qualify for Europe.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 22 Apr 2007 13:36

higher I`m sure Sir Steve would love European comptition for the club and to be able to have the Squad depth and resources to battle full on on several fronts simultaneously.
My understanding is that he feels we are not ready to stretch things so far at the present time and could pay a big price if we commit too much too quickly.
The team want to win each game as it comes and should we find ourselves with these extra fixtures then I would imagine SC will prioritize the Euro games in the same way he has for the other cup competitions namely to use them to involve players who for whatever reason are not figuring regularly in the key games namely the premiership which will always be priority numero uno.
Some may accuse Sir Steve of dis respecting cup tournaments but he is the ultimate pragmatist and will only do what is right for the club at any given moment in time.Long may he reign over us.

.........God save Sir Steve

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2007 16:41

I don't want Europe.

Europeans coming here stealing our jobs.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 22 Apr 2007 16:43

2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't want Europe.

Should we have a poll?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 22 Apr 2007 16:46

shadesrwrf
2 world wars, 1 world cup I don't want Europe.

Should we have a poll?

Graham or someone else?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 22 Apr 2007 16:49

If Coppell don't want Europe then neither do I ;)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Apr 2007 16:55

Archie's penalty
Behindu As ever Coppell talked very sensibly about it.

I see what you mean - the way he used those subs yesterday was a stroke of genius. I normally think Coppell waits too long to make subs but he waited until Bolton were tiring and brought on three impact players. Bolton didn't know what to do. An inspired bit of management by Stevie C yesterday - thus the fist-stabbing celebrations...

Was going 1-nil down part of that genius plan too?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Apr 2007 17:04

No, but a sign of a great manager is reacting to situations in a match and turning it round.

Bolton are very hard to beat at home and it's up there with Chelsea away as our best away result.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 22 Apr 2007 17:11

higher I`m sure Sir Steve would love European comptition for the club and to be able to have the Squad depth and resources to battle full on on several fronts simultaneously.

It calls to mind the dilemma of the hard-working, little-known touring band of regular joes that all of a sudden has a hit record on its hands.

More touring, bigger venues, larger logistics, more staff, more hassles with the local hucksters, more camp foLOLLOLowers, more interviews, more superfluous PR crapola, less time for personal wants and needs, less of a chance to step back and take a deep breath, and hurry up and get back into the studio with some new material, kids --we're gonna ride this rising star for all its worth!

Everybody loves a winner, and the jitters are understandable. He'll figure out what's in front of him, whatever that proves to be.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Apr 2007 17:15

I'm surprised Woodcote hasn't commented on this yet. :roll:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 22 Apr 2007 18:11

It could prove a massive distraction next season. it could also tire out our most important players and prove an Achilles heel.
But, I still want to see us qualify because if anyone can deal with the added games, it's Stevie Coppell.