Player ratings v Newcastle

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

Player ratings v Newcastle

by londinium » 01 May 2007 00:15

I am going to watch the game a bit later so these scores may need to be amended, but from first hand viewing I would go for:

Marcus 8 very little to do, what he did he did well, good positioning for shot towards the end

Shorey 9 excellent

Ivar 8 solid as a rock

Doobs 8 countless headers won, worked well with Ivar

DeLa 8 going forward was very good but gets beaten on his outside a bit to easy for my liking

Hunty 8 first half excellent, died off in the second, but commitment 100% as usual

Oster 7 really hard to judge both him and Gunnar, some silly mistakes with risky balls but also some great balls too, defensively him and Gunnar stopped newcastle playing anything through the middle

Gunnar 7 he aint no Sidwell but does tend to suprise me as to how good he actually is as he in no way resembles a proffessional footballer. Him and Oster did well together for a premiership debut centre midfield pairing.

Seol 7 looks so soft in the tackle but he tackled 50 times more tonight than i have seen him do before, got crosses in and looked interested

Doyle 7 I normally slate Doyle for being quiet when all rave about him but I must admit tonight, without being his brilliant best I thought he did really well. May have had a penalty and got shoved off the ball several times that old mother Riley missed

Kits 9 absolute nutter!!! A man possesed tonight, 100% effort, closed the keeper down all the time, tackled back, won headers, lovely lay offs and a goal to boot. Died in the last 10 mins but he must have been knackered.

As a whole it wasnt the greatest game of football and the team infuriated me by giving possession away countless times in the last 5 mins instead of finding the corner flag. Awesome effort though, kept Newcastle quite and a great 3 points.

MOTM Shorey / Kits

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Player ratings v Newcastle

by Archie's penalty » 01 May 2007 00:18

londinium I am going to watch the game a bit later so these scores may need to be amended

:shock:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2007 00:18

think these rating are a mark or two too high but on the whole agree. Thought the defense as a unit was superb, Kitson had his best game in ages (not just because of the goal) he looked like the old Dave Kitson tonight. Doyle sharper again.

USA 7
De La 7
Shorey 8
Duberry 8
Ivar 8
Seol 7
Hunt 7
Oster 6 just!
Gunnarsson 7
Kitson 7
Doyle 7

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 01 May 2007 00:19

Archie's penalty
londinium I am going to watch the game a bit later so these scores may need to be amended

As you tend not too see everything at the match

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 01 May 2007 00:32

londinium Kits 9 absolute nutter!!! A man possesed tonight, 100% effort, closed the keeper down all the time, tackled back, won headers, lovely lay offs and a goal to boot. Died in the last 10 mins but he must have been knackered.

He must've ran his socks off

GAZ80

by GAZ80 » 01 May 2007 01:26

Hahnemann 7
De La Cruz 7
Ingimarsson 7
Dubbery 6
Shorey 9
Seol 6
Oster 6
Gunnarsson 8
Hunt 8
Doyle 7
Kitson 8

Think tonight was more of an all round performance with the only real stand out performance coming from Nick Shorey, Shorey.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 01 May 2007 01:37

londinium I am going to watch the game a bit later so these scores may need to be amended, but from first hand viewing I would go for:

Marcus 8 very little to do, what he did he did well, good positioning for shot towards the end

Shorey 9 excellent

Ivar 8 solid as a rock

DeLa 8 going forward was very good but gets beaten on his outside a bit to easy for my liking

Hunty 8 first half excellent, died off in the second, but commitment 100% as usual

Oster 7 really hard to judge both him and Gunnar, some silly mistakes with risky balls but also some great balls too, defensively him and Gunnar stopped newcastle playing anything through the middle

Gunnar 7 he aint no Sidwell but does tend to suprise me as to how good he actually is as he in no way resembles a proffessional footballer. Him and Oster did well together for a premiership debut centre midfield pairing.

Seol 7 looks so soft in the tackle but he tackled 50 times more tonight than i have seen him do before, got crosses in and looked interested

Doyle 7 I normally slate Doyle for being quiet when all rave about him but I must admit tonight, without being his brilliant best I thought he did really well. May have had a penalty and got shoved off the ball several times that old mother Riley missed

Kits 9 absolute nutter!!! A man possesed tonight, 100% effort, closed the keeper down all the time, tackled back, won headers, lovely lay offs and a goal to boot. Died in the last 10 mins but he must have been knackered.

As a whole it wasnt the greatest game of football and the team infuriated me by giving possession away countless times in the last 5 mins instead of finding the corner flag. Awesome effort though, kept Newcastle quite and a great 3 points.

MOTM Shorey / Kits

When I said 'Doyle MAY have had a penalty'... watching it again, I should have said 'Doyle should have had a dead cert penalty'. Terrible challenge by Bramble, or should i say 'non challenge, shove off the ball'

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 01 May 2007 08:02

I thought Doyle worked tirelessly tonight. He was all over the pitch. They couldn't handle him. Think he deserves more than a '7'.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 01 May 2007 08:44

Hahnemann 7
De La Cruz 7
Ingimarsson 8
Dubbery 7
Shorey 9
Seol 6.5
Oster 5.5
Gunnarsson 7
Hunt 6.5
Doyle 7
Kitson 8

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 01 May 2007 09:10

londinium
londinium I am going to watch the game a bit later so these scores may need to be amended, but from first hand viewing I would go for:

Shorey 9 excellent

Ivar 8 solid as a rock

MOTM Shorey / Kits

When I said 'Doyle MAY have had a penalty'... watching it again, I should have said 'Doyle should have had a dead cert penalty'. Terrible challenge by Bramble, or should i say 'non challenge, shove off the ball'

And possibly a good shout for a pen against Solano in the second half.

I think I'll give him an 8 now!!

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 01 May 2007 09:32

Surely these rating are way too high.

If a player gets himself a brace and plays really well, he'd be rewarded a nine.

A ten should be rewarded very sparingly, even a hattrick doesn't mean for certain that a player should be rewarded a ten. He could still have done better with a few passes, made a run here and there, etc.

If Hunt's performance last night was worthy of an eight, and Kitson's of a nine, then I've been watching a completely different game to everyone else.

Yes, our team played well, but we lost possession on countless occassions, and apart from winning a few fouls here and there, what did Hunty really do to deserve his eight out of ten rating?!

When we beat West Ham 6-0, I still wouldn't have given Shorey a ten out of ten. He was absolutely outstanding that day, but still warranted a nine. Therefore his performance yesterday should be an eight at best in my eyes.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 01 May 2007 09:48

Thomas L'Heureux Surely these rating are way too high.

If a player gets himself a brace and plays really well, he'd be rewarded a nine.

A ten should be rewarded very sparingly, even a hattrick doesn't mean for certain that a player should be rewarded a ten. He could still have done better with a few passes, made a run here and there, etc.

If Hunt's performance last night was worthy of an eight, and Kitson's of a nine, then I've been watching a completely different game to everyone else.

Yes, our team played well, but we lost possession on countless occassions, and apart from winning a few fouls here and there, what did Hunty really do to deserve his eight out of ten rating?!

When we beat West Ham 6-0, I still wouldn't have given Shorey a ten out of ten. He was absolutely outstanding that day, but still warranted a nine. Therefore his performance yesterday should be an eight at best in my eyes.

I see your point on the scoring, you can knock them all down 2 points if you wish.

The main aim I think is to rate the players compared to each other. On that basis it doesnt really matter how high or low they are rated but how they stand compared to one another.

Most talking points on ratings tend to be 'How can so and so get an 8 and so and so only get a 7' rather than 'So and so should have had an 8.6 rather than a 9.2'.

That said, perhaps I was a bit over the top caught up in our European tour!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2007 10:08

marcus
DLC
doobs
ivar
shorey
seol
6.5 - worked hard again, tackles back again, did as much great stuff as bad, and set up the goal-his attitude is much improved the last few games
hunt.
7.5-one of his best performances, tired a bit in the last half an hour but still chased everything on offer, fantastic again
oyster
7- never stopped running and hassling, and some great touches and passes-good performance in the middle from him.
gunnar
6.5- has disapointed me in his last few games in the middle, not as awesome as when used as a sub, but did very little wrong, just not grabbing the place with both hands.
doyle
7-tireless running the line and the channels, good game
kitson
7.5-great goal, numerous chances,and the flick ons were working alot more last night, nearly back to his best
Last edited by brendywendy on 01 May 2007 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2007 10:10

I always find it amazing how different people see different games.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2007 11:23

which do you disagree with?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 May 2007 11:29

brendywendy which do you disagree with?

that you rate Oster better than Bryn and equal to De La Cruz. But each to their own opinions.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2007 11:33

Alan Partridge
brendywendy which do you disagree with?

that you rate Oster better than Bryn and equal to De La Cruz. But each to their own opinions.

just asking thats all

though brynn was quiet, lost the ball as much as oster and spent alot of it just chasing midfielders around9may also be that my expectations for brynn are generally higher)
oster had some great touches, and was a pain in the backside in their half, and did some valuable tackling back and harrying in our half
never stopped running, not what youd expect from the oyster
DLC had an ok game, did well when reqired to, does let his man get past him a bit, although usually recovers, got some good crosses in. ok maybe i was too harsh on dela - 7.5

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 01 May 2007 11:46

USA 7
De La 8
Shorey 9
Duberry 8
Ivar 8
Seol 7
Hunt 7
Oster 6
Gunnarsson 6
Kitson 8
Doyle 8

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 01 May 2007 11:49

GAZ80 Hahnemann 7
De La Cruz 7
Ingimarsson 7
Dubbery 6
Shorey 9
Seol 6
Oster 6
Gunnarsson 8
Hunt 8
Doyle 7
Kitson 8

Think tonight was more of an all round performance with the only real stand out performance coming from Nick Shorey, Shorey.

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 01 May 2007 13:26

USA - 7: Good save from Ameobi near the end. Never in trouble.
DLC - 7: Got forward well in the second half.
Shorey - 7: Solid defensively and looked good in possesion.
Doobs - 8: Some excellent tackles, superb in the air.
Ingi - 7: Another solid performance. Marshalled the defence well.
Seol - 6: Looked out of his depth until he woke up in the second half and set up the goal.
Oster - 5: Not a central midfielder. Too many stray passes.
Gunnar - 5: Not a long term replacement for Sid. First touch was aweful. OK defensively.
Hunt - 7: An A+ for effort again.
Doyle - 8: His pace and strength caused their defense a lot of problems. Should have had a penalty.
Kitson - 7: Great finish. Worked hard.