Glen Little - Appreciation for the Big Man...

Friday's Child

Glen Little - Appreciation for the Big Man...

by Friday's Child » 19 May 2007 23:48

OK - disprove me... I am open to opinions.

Glen Little is injury prone, slow, and sometimes cannot last a full game. In the Premiership, division below, and "any other football that Reading FC have not played in but I've seen on the telly", this man is the best crosser of the ball (and "setter-up of crossing positions") that I have seen - in the world - in my short 26 years.

I am struggling to find a comparator.... hit me with some world-class alternatives, that have so many assists.........

This chap may be knocked down a few pegs in this thread, I agree.... but I feel that if we hit five then that would be fair dues to Glen himself.

anR

by anR » 20 May 2007 00:02

Little, which I'm ironically not, and the lucky number 7... Is that why I just had it printed on the back of my shirt? Well I had it done because he has been my favourite player in the last few years, as well as the fact that it'll have a double meaning when he doesn't play for us anymore!

My mate who I watch football with the season before last used to have a bet the he'd score the first goal every game. The game at Plymouth where he actually did neither of us were at!

Maybe this says a lot, but he is so skillful with the ball at his feet, as if he has magnetic boots. He has been unlucky with injuries, but also had some Prem time on loan at Bolton. He's maybe getting on a bit, but I still think he's great and would be surprised if he's still a Reading player at this time next year... sadly...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2007 00:15

Crossing: Beckham
Beating their man: Ronaldo, Joe Cole, Ronaldinho
Speed: Most players

But I don't know much about football outside Reading really, let alone outside the UK.

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 20 May 2007 00:23

Ian Royal Crossing: Beckham
Beating their man: Ronaldo, Joe Cole, Ronaldinho
Speed: Most players

But I don't know much about football outside Reading really, let alone outside the UK.

Though Beckham, Ronaldo, and Ronaldinho I can agree on.... Joe Cole I cannot.... Little can beat a man without even breaking into more than a brisk walk...... Rommedahl can do Speed, but what use is a cross into the crowd (hello, Andy Hughes!)?
Last edited by Friday's Child on 20 May 2007 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 20 May 2007 00:23

strange ins tit, that he is truly an awesome player, but because he plays for reading, he is never going to be appreciated :cry:

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 20 May 2007 01:08

willz_royal strange ins tit, that he is truly an awesome player, but because he plays for reading, he is never going to be appreciated :cry:

For me thats a good thing, the less we get noticed the less likely the big clubs will come in and take our players.

Players like Little and Shorey are for me top quality, and the more they go un-noticed the better IMO

fester_royal_blue

by fester_royal_blue » 20 May 2007 04:23

he plays on the left, he plays on the riiiight, our boy glenn little, makes ronaldo look shite :D

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 20 May 2007 06:48

Glenn Little is the best player I have ever seen play for us.

And yes, I was there against Tranmere !

He's from the wrong generation, and old fashioned winger. An England manager with a bit of imagination would have given him a chance at the very highest level.

My abiding memory of Little at his best was against Brighton, he'd been giving thier left back a torrid time so they double marked him. Made no difference. He go the ball just inside their half, 2 men in front of him. He made the slightest of moves forward, both men bought the dummy he hadn;t even sold yet and fell over, Glen just loped straight past them ! Genius !

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 May 2007 08:01

I will never get bored of watching the build up and cross for Lita's goal at Stamford bridge

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 20 May 2007 08:17

The whole year inn I will never get bored of watching the build up and cross for Lita's goal at Stamford bridge

agreed, the skill a technique little used was amazing and the finish was just as good from leroy.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 20 May 2007 09:13

Quality player, the only fault is that he does not score enough goals. But even though hes getting older, he doesnt exactly have any pace to lose, so no reason why he cant play on for another 2 years plus.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 20 May 2007 09:36

my favourite player at the club, goes past people with ease with 0 pace, shows how skilled he is

all im going to say is plymouth away last year 8) 8) 8) 8)

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 20 May 2007 09:59

Although I am agreed he is something else, the only thing that is stopping him from moving on is his pace. When he comes against a quick left back he doesn't know what to do. Without Murty or a decent crosser behind him to get deep crosses in he can't do much.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 20 May 2007 10:29

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo Although I am agreed he is something else, the only thing that is stopping him from moving on is his pace. When he comes against a quick left back he doesn't know what to do. Without Murty or a decent crosser behind him to get deep crosses in he can't do much.

he has been effective against many quick lb's, just seems on eof those player who dips in and out of form (probably due to age and stamina)

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 20 May 2007 10:50

juanpablo he has been effective against many quick lb's,

Made Gareth Barry look stupid time after time at home to Villa. That's Gareth Barry who has played for England.

PurpleTurtle

by PurpleTurtle » 20 May 2007 11:19

I like him as a player and as a person, seems a top bloke. His ability with the ball at his feet, close control, dribbling and going past his man are totally out of fit with his ungainly stature - big blokes shouldn't be that agile, leave it to the midgets like Leroy!

I feel slightly sorry for Glenn in that he spent the lion's share of his career at Burnley, where he clearly has/had the ability to play at this much high level he is at now, alas time is not on his side.

He's also one of those players who you can just tell has a professional pride and gives his all, which amongst the dummy-spitters of the Premiership is an attribute seen less and less.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 20 May 2007 11:58

I've supported Reading since 1975 (wasn't there for the Tranmere goal) and I would say Little is as talented as I've ever seen. He's a remarkable player really and when on form is just a complete joy to watch. Along with Mark White, Darius Wdowkyk and Simon Osborne he's probably my favourite all time Biscuitman. How he never spent his life in the premiership is a mystery.

bassavage

by bassavage » 20 May 2007 12:00

His run last year against Wolves away to set up Kitson's goal was absolutely superb.

Banjax

by Banjax » 20 May 2007 12:13

he's got a real nose for the game

test icicles

by test icicles » 20 May 2007 12:20

T.R.O.L.I.
juanpablo he has been effective against many quick lb's,

Made Gareth Barry look stupid time after time at home to Villa. That's Gareth Barry who has played for England.

I loved the Villa feedback after that match:

villa fan on some forum Who the hell is Glen Little and why the fcuk did he make our captain look a fool
... or something like that. Fantastic! :lol: