Would an on form Darren Caskey get into our first team?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Nov 2007 21:54

I personally think that Reading's real weakness this season is our midfield. I think Kitson, Lita and Doyle are all good premiership players and with Sonks back I feel a lot better about our defence. Our midfield is, and I'll probably be slated for this, really shockingly bad at times. Against Bolton it was so, so bad. I think Caskey and Simon Osborn would stroll into this team.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Nov 2007 21:56

ina one word answer..Yes

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Nov 2007 21:59

Osborn yes. Caskey No. Not dedicated enough although a good passer of the ball and talented enough but not convinced he was hungry enough to be able to perform with consistency at the highest level.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 02 Nov 2007 22:01

Caskey was certianly hungry enough.

In their 'prime', Osborn and Caskey = YES

g

by g » 02 Nov 2007 22:01

right now we could use the premier league experience from Scott Davies.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 02 Nov 2007 22:02

An on form, fit Caskey yes. The lump of lard that he spent most of his career masquerading as, probably not because without being absolutely top-drawer you can't play in the premier league without being able to move around for 90 minuted. Would be the best passer in our team though.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Nov 2007 22:05

The whole year inn Caskey was certianly hungry enough.

In their 'prime', Osborn and Caskey = YES

Yes....I know what you mean...in the McDonalds sense.
I felt he lost his way and always remember when Pardew overlooked him for the play off final with Walsall. It should have been his natural stage that day. Big pitch, big occasion and set up for someone of his passing ability and yet he was not deemed good enough to start. He was good enough for the Premiership but not disciplined enough which is presumably why Spurs offloaded him and why he went nowhere after leaving us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2007 22:26

My fave midfielder of all time for Reading = Grant Brebner.

Wish he was younger, on form, and here now :(

Kes

by Kes » 02 Nov 2007 22:28

If soccer was like American Football and you could only bring Caskey on for (free) kicks he'd have been great.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 02 Nov 2007 22:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup My fave midfielder of all time for Reading = Grant Brebner.

He did look like he might pull the club out of the mire and appeared one for the future but his return to Scotland did not end up as successful as I thought...he seems to have faded away.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 02 Nov 2007 22:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup My fave midfielder of all time for Reading = Grant Brebner.

The lad who never played for Reading above league 1? yeah definite answer to our midfield problems :shock:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Nov 2007 23:20

The lad who never played for Reading above league 1? yeah definite answer to our midfield problems :shock:

Mick Gooding yes. Caskey absolutely not. he had no pace, couldn't tackle, could barely get up and down the pitch and frankly wasn't that good.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2007 23:23

leon

Mick Gooding yes. Caskey absolutely not. he had no pace, couldn't tackle, could barely get up and down the pitch and frankly wasn't that good.

Wow it would be great to see Micky Gooding in our team today!

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 03 Nov 2007 00:52

if your talking about past players making it into our team why not go with the obvious one and say parky in the middle with harper.

but in answer to the original question yes an in from caskey could easily make it untill we sort out our midfeild and use it as our strength again

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 03 Nov 2007 01:03

PEARCEY Osborn yes. Caskey No.

What he said.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Nov 2007 01:06

Nick Shorey my Lord!
PEARCEY Osborn yes. Caskey No.

What he said.

I agree - Osborn was a class act.

International Royal

by International Royal » 03 Nov 2007 01:15

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL if your talking about past players making it into our team why not go with the obvious one and say parky in the middle with harper.

but in answer to the original question yes an in from caskey could easily make it untill we sort out our midfeild and use it as our strength again

You're deluded if you think that Parky (bless him) or Caskey (heaven help us!) could play in a Prem midfield. Absolutely no chance. Players seem somehow to get better when they stop playing. The reason Caskey never played in the top division in his career was because he wasn't good enough. He was a traffic bollard for the second part of his career. With application he could have made a decent second tier player, but as we all know he didn't have the dedication to go with a reasonable talent.

Parky on the other hand made the most of what he had and deserves his legend status (Caskey doesn't) but he still couldn't have made the top flight. Gunna is the modern day Parky (but better) but most question his position.

Caskey = most overrated RFC player of all time.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 03 Nov 2007 01:15

No.
HTH

N.B. Never fulfilled his potential.
Scoring 20+ goals sounds good, but he did it in a much lower league, and Fat Frank does that in the Premiership (and still isn't rated by England fans - despite the number of pies he clearly eats).

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 03 Nov 2007 01:28

Darren Caskey was the best passer of a ball that I have ever seen play for Reading, even better than Super Si. The way he could put spin on a ball was just sublime. It was a shame that he could never really get the hang of tackling.
To answer the question, yes, an onform Caskey would get into this team. He had much more ability than Gunnar.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 03 Nov 2007 01:29

For those who mentioned Grant Brebner. I live in Melbourne and Grant plays for Melbourne Victory where he is something of a hero. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on that however as Ozzie soccer is, frankly, of an atrocious standard. Grant has basically had a serious gambling addiction for most of his professional life and the word is that he has only recently managed to knock it on the head. He was interviewed recently in the Melbourne Age and said going to Reading was a massive blunder on his part - he went and bought a house in the Thames Valley countryside on his wages and felt completely isolated and lonely.

He doesn't blame anyone but himself that things didn't work out as they may have done and he certainly doesn't blame Reading. He actually sounded in the interview like a really nice bloke. He says he loves Australia but is planning to move back to Scotland when he retires which is where his heart is. Wish I had a link to the article but it's been taken off the newspaper's site as it was a month or two ago.

Hope that may have been of some interest although, probably not.