Who would you keep?

rollsy

Who would you keep?

by rollsy » 11 Nov 2007 15:35

Say a hyperthetical billionare bought the club from john mad and said to sir steve here is £75m to buy new players. Who would you say ws good enough to stay in the team, and who would you let go?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Nov 2007 15:38

If everything changed except for the name and the location of the stadium, the odds are I wouldn't keep watching. I have no interest in watching a brand - I want to watch a team I feel I have some connection with.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 11 Nov 2007 15:40

Coppell wouldn't spend the money.

A new manager will be priority when Chairman sells. Coppell will seem like a total hypocrite working for a foreign owner after his numerous comments on the foreign owners and their effects on the game. Which at this stage of his career would be the last thing he'd want,

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 11 Nov 2007 16:46

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell wouldn't spend the money.

A new manager will be priority when Chairman sells. Coppell will seem like a total hypocrite working for a foreign owner after his numerous comments on the foreign owners and their effects on the game. Which at this stage of his career would be the last thing he'd want,

Whether Coppell would spend the money or not wasn;t the question...

And I'm not sure where the hypocrisy would come in. As long as Coppell was asked to carry on doing the job he's been doing there would be nothing hypocritical in his having a new employer.
It woul dhave been more interesting to ask how you square his belief that clubs should have to field English players with the heavy non English flavourof his squad - although to be fair we have one of the higher proportions of English players in our squad.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 11 Nov 2007 16:56

Dirk Gently If everything changed except for the name and the location of the stadium, the odds are I wouldn't keep watching. I have no interest in watching a brand - I want to watch a team I feel I have some connection with.

everything has changed including location bar the name. you are watching a brand. FACT

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 11 Nov 2007 16:59

mini _dariusz
Dirk Gently If everything changed except for the name and the location of the stadium, the odds are I wouldn't keep watching. I have no interest in watching a brand - I want to watch a team I feel I have some connection with.

everything has changed including location bar the name. you are watching a brand. FACT

Everything is constantly changing... we're not as far down the 'brand' route as many and there is just enough heart left. But I doubt any club can survive the corporatising effect of the PL for long...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Nov 2007 17:05

players to keep:

sonko
bikey
fae
cisse
convey
kitson
young guns (henry, karacan, pearce)

players to flog:

USA
murts
shorey
inga
oster
harps
gunnar
hunt
lita

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 11 Nov 2007 17:13

winchester_royal players to keep:

sonko
bikey
fae
cisse
convey
kitson

players to flog:

USA
murts
shorey
inga
oster
harps
gunnar
hunt
lita

? Doyle, Long

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 11 Nov 2007 17:25

get rid of the lot, bring in a whole new team same as Man C did, win
games and the new 36k ground will be full every game.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who would you keep?

by Forbury Lion » 11 Nov 2007 17:54

rollsy Say a hyperthetical billionare bought the club from john mad and said to sir steve here is £75m to buy new players. Who would you say ws good enough to stay in the team, and who would you let go?
I would keep the lot and just expand the squad with the purchase of some 11 top quality first teamers.

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 11 Nov 2007 18:24

Peter Mate

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Nov 2007 18:34

Keep:
Sonko
Shorey
Bikey
Convey
Doyle
Kitson
Long
Lita
Pearce
Henry
Karacan

Get rid of:
Hahnemann
Federici
Stack
Murty
Ingimarsson
Duberry
De La Cruz
Harper
Gunnarsson
Halls
Sodje
Little
Oster
Hunt
Mate
Bennett

Undecided on Cisse and Fae as neither has featured enough yet.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 11 Nov 2007 19:25

winchester_royal players to keep:

sonko
bikey
fae
cisse
convey
kitson

players to flog:

USA
murts
shorey
inga
oster
harps
gunnar
hunt
lita

I would keep shorey because we would be able to pay his wages and he would start to play good again

Keeps:
Doyle
Long
Shorey
sonko
fae
convey
kitson
Harper
Hunt (maybe, maybe not)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Nov 2007 19:32

You don't seriously believe that in such a hypothetical situation our young guns would stand a chance?! They'd be the first to go ....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Nov 2007 20:45

Royalwaster You don't seriously believe that in such a hypothetical situation our young guns would stand a chance?! They'd be the first to go ....

yeh because if we had a good right winger then oster would be a much better understudy than henry :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bassavage

by bassavage » 11 Nov 2007 21:24

The 17 Bus get rid of the lot, bring in a whole new team same as Man C did, win
games and the new 36k ground will be full every game.

Man City have kept quite a few players. From today's game 6 of the starting 11 played for them last season and three of the subs were as well.

SafetyRoyal

by SafetyRoyal » 11 Nov 2007 21:27

I hope that never happens. Would ruin the point of football for me

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 11 Nov 2007 22:09

SafetyRoyal I hope that never happens. Would ruin the point of football for me

absolutely, the idea of reading going beyond mid table to european contenders is unbearable to me too :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 11 Nov 2007 22:31

My first instinct was to agree with you but thinking about it everything has changed for me already. From Elm Park, Smee, Branfoot, Division 4 to where (and what) we are now. There is just about nothing, apart from the name, that is still the same.

Would it matter if a few things changed more quickly?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Nov 2007 22:55

That Friday Feeling

My first instinct was to agree with you but thinking about it everything has changed for me already. From Elm Park, Smee, Branfoot, Division 4 to where (and what) we are now. There is just about nothing, apart from the name, that is still the same.

Would it matter if a few things changed more quickly?

I don't know - I see what you're saying, but there are still a few small things that make this "my club." Like still having some players who were with us in Tier 3, and still having JM at least paying lip service to the Reading community.

I'm not sure where the point will come, but I'm aware that every day that we're in the PL we edge closer away from being a part of the community and become more a brand - but I think a new owner who has no connection with the area, and who makes wholesale changes - and above all tries to compete financially with the Big 4 - would sweep it all away in one go.

Then I'd most likely spend my Saturdays at Bottom Meadow, watching Sandhurst Town.

EDIT - but while we have players like Murts and Kits there is still that little thread of sanity.