Goalkeepers Union

Blue and White Toucan

Goalkeepers Union

by Blue and White Toucan » 13 Nov 2007 22:23

I realise that in many of the game threads there is always a comment on Marcus and his performances.

I, as a goalkeeper (In the past) , do feel that on some occasions he does get a rough deal.

Last night there were a few people around me saying that, amongst other comments, he should have saved all 3 and what was he doing sitting on the floor for the last one!!!

I saw a goalkeeper exposed on too many occasions by defenders and midfielders letting players go, albeit against quality opposition. The 3rd goal was pure skill and not many keepers would have done better

Hanhnemanns distribution is poor I have to say but then our corners are not too hot at the moment and there are a few who seem to miss that.

In the premier league there are some top class keepers but there are also quite a few keepers who to be honest are average IMHO.

The keepers used in the last matches for Premiership teams Cuddicini, Van De Sar, Reina, Carson, Taylor, James, Jaskelainen, Green, Given, Alumia, Kirkland, Gordon, Niemi, Bywater, Howard, Schwarzer, Freidel, Isaakson, Robinson and Marcus.

Being a keeper you are exposed to glaring mistakes that outfield players can get away with relatively easily.

If I had to rate Marcus I would put it as (out of 10)

Handling 7
Distribution 5
Decision making 6
Shot Stopping 6
Reactions 7
Presence 8

I obviously don't think he is the best but he ain't the worst in the league and there are I think that its about time the moaners started backing the team and stopped looking at Marcus as the scape goat.

Good luck to him for the rest of the season

Rant over.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Nov 2007 22:40

Marcus is our number one because we don't have another viable option.

Discuss.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 13 Nov 2007 22:42

Row Z Royal Marcus is our number one because we don't have another viable option.

Discuss.

Winchester Royal What about James Henry?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Nov 2007 22:44

well according to play your card rights we have 4 goalkeepers

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 13 Nov 2007 22:47

RZR is completley correct.

I don't rate Marcus at all this season. Kicking and general reactions have at points been woeful. Yesterday his decision making for the 1st goal which did change the game was compltley mucked up.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Nov 2007 22:58

Arsenal's first goal was defendable and Marcus made the wrong decision. However Marcus isn't a moron - he clearly didn't have confidence in the defence and felt he had to take charge.

As for the rest of the season, Marcus is one of the top stoppers in the League. I reckon several team concede more shots than us (if that's the correct turn of phrase) but you don't win points by picking the ball out of the net.

My statement was of the "defend the indefensible" ilk. I don't necessarily agree with it.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 13 Nov 2007 23:17

I love Marcus and all he has achieved - and can continue to - for us.

BUT - We do not have the strength in depth for our keepers and need a vastly experienced keeper to come in and at least put the heat on Marcus or take a run in the team and let Marcus take a back seat for a while to gather himself. He has no pressure at the moment and I feel he's lost an edge because of it.
Looking around the Prem, there is one outstanding candidate who is actually nominally the club's no.2 but is playing currently due to injury to the no.1 choice. When it reverts, he may not want to be a cup keeper and could do the job properly for us. Money and the willingness of the "donor" club is naturally the big factor, but I firmly believe Antii Niemi is the man for us.

It's only a thought...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Nov 2007 23:27

Niemi is indeed a very good keeper, but at 35, I'd like to think we'd go for someone a bit younger. I still think Myhill at Hull is a good option, although I'ver not really kept tabs on him in the last 12 months so don't know how he's progressing.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Goalkeepers Union

by Royalee » 14 Nov 2007 00:25

Blue and White Toucan I realise that in many of the game threads there is always a comment on Marcus and his performances.

I, as a goalkeeper (In the past) , do feel that on some occasions he does get a rough deal.

Last night there were a few people around me saying that, amongst other comments, he should have saved all 3 and what was he doing sitting on the floor for the last one!!!

I saw a goalkeeper exposed on too many occasions by defenders and midfielders letting players go, albeit against quality opposition. The 3rd goal was pure skill and not many keepers would have done better

Hanhnemanns distribution is poor I have to say but then our corners are not too hot at the moment and there are a few who seem to miss that.

In the premier league there are some top class keepers but there are also quite a few keepers who to be honest are average IMHO.

The keepers used in the last matches for Premiership teams Cuddicini, Van De Sar, Reina, Carson, Taylor, James, Jaskelainen, Green, Given, Alumia, Kirkland, Gordon, Niemi, Bywater, Howard, Schwarzer, Freidel, Isaakson, Robinson and Marcus.

Being a keeper you are exposed to glaring mistakes that outfield players can get away with relatively easily.

If I had to rate Marcus I would put it as (out of 10)

Handling 7
Distribution 5
Decision making 6
Shot Stopping 6
Reactions 7
Presence 8

I obviously don't think he is the best but he ain't the worst in the league and there are I think that its about time the moaners started backing the team and stopped looking at Marcus as the scape goat.

Good luck to him for the rest of the season

Rant over.

Handling 7? Have you seen the number of times he drops the ball - try Watford at home last year, along with free kick spills for critical goals and his spill round the post last night.

Surely reactions and shot-stopping are inter-related? He used to be reasonable at this, but he's rapidly deteriorating - Federici makes him look like a grandad when it comes to shot stopping.

As for presence, Hleb sure did shit himself when he came out for the third goal last night!

You missed out agility btw, which is very important for a goalkeeper. Hahnemann now scores about a 3 in this field.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Goalkeepers Union

by rob the royal » 14 Nov 2007 01:07

Blue and White Toucan but then our corners are not too hot at the moment and there are a few who seem to miss that

can i just say on this point. usually i slate the players for wasting the ball by doing too many short corners and then somehow managing to mess it up and give the ball away, but surely short corners might have been a good idea against arsenal* but i don't think we did a single one?

*i'm only saying this as they always had 2 men on the posts so might have been worth working the ball around a bit to draw them out?? i don't know if my tactics are all wrong there or not!? :?

as for hahnemann, i am one of the ones who has always given him a hard time and to be honest, now, on top of his distributional shortcomings we're leaking lots of goals this season, so perhaps we could give federici a go if the we continue conceding so many? i mean if ingimarsson can get left out for a while then why not usa?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 14 Nov 2007 02:18

From Despair To Where? Niemi is indeed a very good keeper, but at 35, I'd like to think we'd go for someone a bit younger. I still think Myhill at Hull is a good option, although I'ver not really kept tabs on him in the last 12 months so don't know how he's progressing.

jens lehmann?

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 14 Nov 2007 05:51

Marcus does not command his area , his distribution is one of the poorest in the league , he cant save penalties, he stays on his line when he shouldnt and comes off his line and misses the ball- NEW KEEPER PLEASE

Uncle Andy

by Uncle Andy » 14 Nov 2007 08:53

I think part of his problem this season is a knock-on effect from his injury at Blackburn.

When Marcus dives for the ball have a look at how often he is at full stretch - not often I can tell you.

Particularly if you look at the goals at Fulham that I think he could have done better with, he dives with his hands against his chest to protect his landing rather than absolutely throwing everything into the save.

Unfortunately, despite the great things he has done for us in the past, it is now time for a change between the sticks - along with other areas of the team to protect the long term security of this club.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 14 Nov 2007 09:16

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 14 Nov 2007 09:59

weybridgewanderer jens lehmann?

Fcuk me, no!

I am Steve Brown

by I am Steve Brown » 14 Nov 2007 15:29

In the past I've been impressed by what the Big Yank has done for us, and as such he has obtained a following, along with the "USA,USA" chants. But just recently, I've noticed a distinct absence of "USA,USA", and along with this, Marcus's form has also suffered. However, I also think having a broken hand, although he says it's fine, has something to do with it. As for finding a replacement, I feel that Liverpool have somewhat put the mockers on trying to find a top rated stopper, by issung a hands off unless you've got 10million to spend, as far as Scott Carson is concerned. I for one, can see other clubs looking at this, and also pricing their keepers out of contention. Let's give Fed's a go, and if not him, arn't the Junior keepers international level, if only at a junior grading.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 15 Nov 2007 12:18

Uncle Andy
When Marcus dives for the ball have a look at how often he is at full stretch - not often I can tell you.

Very true. Noticed this again on Monday night.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 16 Nov 2007 09:33

Berkshire Born
Uncle Andy

Very true. Noticed this again on Monday night.

Adebeyours (spell?) goal especially.

Berry

by Berry » 16 Nov 2007 09:43

Having a loose cannon like Doobs in front of you cant be very securing for USA

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Nov 2007 09:53

Berry Having a loose cannon like Doobs in front of you cant be very securing for USA

that aint really fair on the doobster
hes been our most consistent performer this season
ivar, shorey, murts have all had big off games
even sonks looked out of sorts vs rthe arse9who wouldnt0

i would like to see bikey given the chance to form a partnership with sonks, i think that could be a match for most teams