Today's back from the game over-reaction thread.

124 posts
Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Today's back from the game over-reaction thread.

by Row Z Royal » 01 Dec 2007 17:49

I'm disappointed with today's defeat. Dire first half from both teams and perhaps we were fortunate not to be behind.

I honestly thought that Kitson's goal would spur us on to another goal but we sat back immediately and rarely looked like threatening the Middlesborough goal.

I'm trying to draw positives from today's match, but Im struggling. I don't think there should wholesale changes because we don't have much better on the bench or in the squad.

My only plus, perhaps, is the stand-off between Marcus and Ibu. There was clearly a breakdown in communication but it's important to let off steam. We've been lacking passion and bite recently so it was a good sign.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 01 Dec 2007 17:52

It wasn't a defeat but it did feel like one :cry:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 01 Dec 2007 17:53

Judging at the level Reading is at now, this is the worse midfield RFC have ever had

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 01 Dec 2007 18:18

I couldn't believe how much we sat back today. Boatang ran that midfield, we weren't getting stuck in, and that infuriated me. Seems like our dissapointment in Manchester is still looming above the players heads.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2007 18:27

Our midfield is awful, I can't think of anything convey did, Hunt produced 1 decent cross, That free kick just LOL, Gunnarsson and Harper were/are awful.

Sonko was utter utter shite.

Hahnemann's confidence is shot but to be fair to him he actually made some decent stops today for all his other faults.

Middlesbrough are one of the worst teams we'll play and they should've won, that sums it up.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Dec 2007 18:40

I think it is plain to see and by now coppell should damn right know that we need to invest in a new keeper, and then send federici out on loan.

A new centre back is required, someone who is assured and experienced (no not duberry )

Gunnarsson needs to be dropped i mean who does coppell think he s watching in the centre of the park.. paul scholes??

Harper again was poor i think he should be dropped for a certain amount of games just so he can maybe realise that he really is not that good.

Coppell made a poor decision in bringing on bikey to sit in front of the back four when we were 1-0 up! Obviously that change would result in us sitting back even more than we had done up to that point.

Thought Shorey's performance today was poor his touch seemed to be on par with that of a schoolkid!!

Kitson was by far our best attacker and best defender, he racked back, he cleared from corners and nearly got the winner!!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 01 Dec 2007 18:47

Kitson for England.....Great goal

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Dec 2007 18:47

If you have no midfield then you will get found out at this level, end of. Lets face it, Gunnar wouldn't get into any other Premiership side. It was a bad result aginst a bad team in a game you are looking to - and needing to - win if you want to stay up. If alarm bells weren't sounding before, they surely are now.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Dec 2007 18:59

Jesus fooking christ that was a terible game between two terrible sides and LOL@our midfield, particularly Gunnarsson. I'm almost tempted to dig up the old Sidwell thread just to have a massive chuckle at anyone who said we wouldn't miss him.

NB This is not an overreaction, merely a reaction.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 01 Dec 2007 19:15

Dreadful really, don't know what to say but I'm not sure where we go from here.
On that performance I think there is a very good chance we are going down. I mean how do you change virtually your entire midfield mid-season? Because that's pretty much what we're going to have to do. I feel baffled as to how we are going to win another match this season. This, in theory, should have been one of the easiest games of the season and, of course, a 'must-win'.
I dunno, I'm not sure we deserve to stay up to be honest.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 01 Dec 2007 19:16

God I miss Glen Little! And that's all I have to say about that

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2007 19:17

Cripple Creek Dreadful really, don't know what to say but I'm not sure where we go from here.
On that performance I think there is a very good chance we are going down. I mean how do you change virtually your entire midfield mid-season? Because that's pretty much what we're going to have to do. I feel baffled as to how we are going to win another match this season. This, in theory, should have been one of the easiest games of the season and, of course, a 'must-win'.
I dunno, I'm not sure we deserve to stay up to be honest.

There is a lot of evidence to back that up tbh. IF Reading go down, in lots of ways apart from the obvious 'not being good enough' it will be thoroughly deserved. Today was bad...really bad.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Dec 2007 19:18

Gunnar has to be dropped. He did sod all today....again
Marcus is struggling and I do think another goalkeeper is a requirement next month.
The defence again looked very shaky and that was the worst I have seen Sonko play. I also dont agree with the view that it was positive he and Marcus squared up to each other...they are on the same bloody side.
Kitson played well although most of the rest were at best average.
We were very lucky not to be at least one down at half time. Frankly the team were clueless in the first half. The second half was better but what clear cut chances did we create?
On the plus side I thought the atmosphere was pretty good considering the performance.
We are in for a real battle to stay up IMO.
Sorry for the negativity but a win today was vital and we were not good enough.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Dec 2007 19:23

I too disagree that the altercation between Marcus and Sonko was a good thing. It shows the team aren't together in spirit and blaming each other, something which never happened in the Championship. The team need a better spirit, heads up even if the opposition score, whether we've scored or not, and Coppell needs to give up on his loyalty towards certain players.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Dec 2007 20:00

Did we have a midfield today? Christ it was woeful.

And if I see Harper pass the ball sideways and THEN berate other players for not passing it forward one more time, I'm going to lamp him one.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Dec 2007 21:12

Jerry St Clair Did we have a midfield today? Christ it was woeful.

And if I see Harper pass the ball sideways and THEN berate other players for not passing it forward one more time, I'm going to lamp him one.

It was woeful but not helped by minimal movement throughout the entire team...too often the player on the ball had so few options open to him. Harper held on to the ball a number of times for too long because he had no-one running into space...whatever the technical failings of the team you would expect some energy. Lack-lustre is putting it kindly.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 01 Dec 2007 21:23

i feel the slating Big H is over rated... i think he made some cracking saves today and honestly doesnt deserve the ear bashing he is recieving...

I personally think something has happened between the squad to make us play like we are, and the tention between players... could Lita be linked?

The team buzz that Reading are known for has gone, not sure why or how. But the lads arent acting and playing the same as they have before, they need to sort out their issues with each other soon, so they can be the Reading team we thought they were at the begining of the season.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 01 Dec 2007 21:37

Anyone else think that performance wise, that was the worst result of the season?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2007 21:39

AbovetheI Anyone else think that performance wise, that was the worst result of the season?

It's a crippling loss of 2 points because it's Liverpool next and then we are away. We are at home to a team that is worse on the road than James Dean, got murdered last week and we made them look decent. They fully warranted at least a point.

It was a really really poor performance, only Kitson had any quality on the Reading side, surrounded by Championship standard players.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 01 Dec 2007 21:40

So thats a yes then? :wink:

124 posts