69%
No - give Henry a chance!
31%

Total votes: 80
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

New RW required?

by Royalwaster » 27 Dec 2007 13:35

With the transfer window looming, I'm wondering where people stand re. the RW/RM question. Should we sign one or rely on what we've got - i.e. give James Henry his chance?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Dec 2007 13:38

What a loaded questio, either get a new winger or give Henry a go, where's the option for no chnage.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

peckhamwolf

by peckhamwolf » 27 Dec 2007 13:39

I have read quite a few posts on here waxing lyrical about James Henry. How about a new poll ? Have you seen James Henry play for more than about 5 minutes before putting him up as a potential answer to your "problems" on the right wing ? Yes or no ?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 27 Dec 2007 14:29

During my yearly visit with the rellies yesterday, I was speaking to my Cousin and Uncle who are both ST holders at Dean Court. They said when he joined them he was awesome, but slowly the more he's played the worse he's got. They're not saying it's him or he's a bad player, but that Bournemouth are moulding him into the crap style that they play.

IMO we need to get him back, and fast. We also need to buy a decent RW.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 27 Dec 2007 22:41

Rawlie19 During my yearly visit with the rellies yesterday, I was speaking to my Cousin and Uncle who are both ST holders at Dean Court. They said when he joined them he was awesome, but slowly the more he's played the worse he's got. They're not saying it's him or he's a bad player, but that Bournemouth are moulding him into the crap style that they play.

IMO we need to get him back, and fast. We also need to buy a decent RW.

Totally agree - just wondered how many people seriously believe that Henry is the solution to our 'problem' on the right hand side. Interesting to see that the poll is fairly balanced so far.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 27 Dec 2007 22:51

Is James Henry a right winger?

At Bournemouth he's been referred to many times as a striker and I thought he was a central midfielder.

I would prefer we signed a new right winger and gave Henry some minutes as and when appropriate.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Dec 2007 22:53

Why do we need a right winger? Isn't Hunt doing the necessary in that position now?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2007 23:02

PEARCEY Why do we need a right winger? Isn't Hunt doing the necessary in that position now?

Yes, but as I've said elsewhere two wingers (and a kid on loan) are not enough for a squad.

In the championship we had 4 wingers. Little and Oster are injured, Little quite probably not going to make a return. There have always been question marks over Oster, whilst I don't think he's as bad as many believe I don't think he's our answer.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Dec 2007 23:04

Quite what the harm can be in giving Henry a couple of games on the right wing I don't know. At the very worst he can be a complete crock, and hauled off at half-time.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2007 23:08

cmonurz Quite what the harm can be in giving Henry a couple of games on the right wing I don't know. At the very worst he can be a complete crock, and hauled off at half-time.

You don't just chuck on a player and see what harm they can do in the knowledge that you can use 1 of 3 subs to rectify the problem. Not when you can conceed 6 goals in a half.

Henry is a good prospect ad I'd like to see him given a chance. This season is the season to blood the youngsters. We should be able to reach safety with a few games to spare. With nothing left to go for and it being second season in the prem time we can give exerience out.

Then and only then, unless the players play them selves into contention. We only have two wingers good enough and fit enough right now. That is not likely to change come the end of January, so we need to bring in a new winger to bolster the squad.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 27 Dec 2007 23:10

Ian Royal
cmonurz Quite what the harm can be in giving Henry a couple of games on the right wing I don't know. At the very worst he can be a complete crock, and hauled off at half-time.

You don't just chuck on a player and see what harm they can do in the knowledge that you can use 1 of 3 subs to rectify the problem. Not when you can conceed 6 goals in a half.

That's not what I was implying, obviously. Henry is a talented player who has performed time and time again in the reserves, and impressed out on loan. This wouldn't be throwing a complete rookie into the team, it would be giving one of our own a chance based on his performances.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Dec 2007 23:14

Neville Roach impressed massively as a reserve, As did Tyson and countless others.

The lad is very young and will hopefully be a big big player for us, but he is not the player to provide cover for first team wingers now. We need at least 1 spare if not 2. Now I'm more than happy for a combination of him, Little and Oster to be number 2, but we need a number 1 back up, better than we have at the moment, which is no one.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Dec 2007 00:44

give henry a go in the cup, then we will know how close to being ready he is

it does amaze me how some people would prefer we bring in a 33 yo greek bolton reserve winger (stelios) than give a home grown english exciting young prospect a chance to impress, especialy as we are not in relegation trouble

its no wonder the national team is in trouble if this is the opinion of most managers and fans

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 28 Dec 2007 03:48

What should be remembered is that if we are to sign a new winger (or any new player) they will have to fit the budget of this club and be better then what we've got. Although as it's Little, i'll happily except the player being on a par with him.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 28 Dec 2007 09:03

Ian Royal Neville Roach impressed massively as a reserve, As did Tyson and countless others.

Shame they were both toilet when they stepped up a level.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Dec 2007 10:52

We need 2 wingers.

James Henry can be one of them and he can act as cover to the real Premiership quality right winger.

Hunt Harper a quality centre mid a quality right winger

That's a good midfield and with the likes of Henry and Convey as cover, it's got depth too.

There's no excuses, no burying the heads in the sand like the summer, go out and buy quality.

And I don't mean a fcukin right back!!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Dec 2007 12:04

If, apparantly :roll: it's not worth discussing the merits of Convey v Hunt, I'm not quite sure where that leaves this thread :?

I haven't seen Henry but I'd love him to be the first product of the academy to establish himself in the first team.

However, even if he's the next Ronaldo we still need more than one right mid so signing another in January remains a no-brainer................

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 28 Dec 2007 12:13

Hugo Boss
Ian Royal Neville Roach impressed massively as a reserve, As did Tyson and countless others.

Shame they were both toilet when they stepped up a level.

Neither of them really let the side down and caused us to be "6-0 down" at half time though.

At some point you have to take a chance on a youngster. I think Henry has earned the right to be given that chance sooner rather than later, although we definately need to get in an established right winger to allow Coppell to introduce Henry under the least pressure possible.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 Dec 2007 12:14

Surely they could find some right wingers in the crowd?

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 28 Dec 2007 12:17

Uke Surely they could find some right wingers in the crowd?

You're right. Couldn't one of them be brought in for a spell?