Play Simon Cox Please..............

137 posts
sawyers left arm

Play Simon Cox Please..............

by sawyers left arm » 31 Jan 2008 12:18

Last season we did well because we were an unknown entity.
This season we have been sussed out but Simon Cox is that element of doubt. He showed against tottenham what he could do so why are we not giving this guy a chance.
Doyle is not scoring and we need goals.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: Play Simon Cox Please..............

by Huntley & Palmer » 31 Jan 2008 12:19

:o Err, would it not be more prudent to pick Lita over Cox?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 31 Jan 2008 12:20

He's close to joining SWINDON on a permanent deal.

He's local and that's great, but he's not good enough for this level.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Jan 2008 12:50

The local papers in Gloucestershire are saying that Swindon are very keen to get him, but that Northampton are indicating that a deal is already done with them. (As the 2 teams meet on Saturday that could prove interesting either way!)

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 31 Jan 2008 12:53

Shame because I think the one thing nearly every Reading fan would love to see is a local lad from the Academy make it into the 1st team.

I really can't help feeling that he never really got a chance to prove he could do it. I guess if he does go then the management never saw enough from him during his loan spells and brief cameo's to convince them that he could cut it.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 31 Jan 2008 12:53

the fact that no championship teams are not in for him may hint he's not up to prem standard, although it would be nice for him to prove he is good enough or not by playing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2008 12:57

Row Z Royal He's close to joining SWINDON on a permanent deal.

I'd love to know how the club appear to be arriving at that decision when he has had precious little opportunity to show what he can do at this level and, on the occasions that he has, has received pretty good feedback from fans and media.

Maybe it's another training ground selection issue.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 12:59

The coaches and management are paid to make these decisions. They've not got one wrong to date with regards to letting young players go.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Jan 2008 13:12

West Stand Man The local papers in Gloucestershire are saying that Swindon are very keen to get him, but that Northampton are indicating that a deal is already done with them. (As the 2 teams meet on Saturday that could prove interesting either way!)

According to the EP Simon will sign for Swindon today for around 200k.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 31 Jan 2008 13:15

200k?

well atleast the war chest is bigger

John Peel

by John Peel » 31 Jan 2008 13:24

Wouldn't be surprised if he went today. No Kitson and no Long and he STILL couldn't get on the bench. What does he have to do?

We should be giving 10/15 mins spells to the likes of Henry and Cox. We've got nothing to lose.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 31 Jan 2008 13:29

Row Z Royal He's close to joining SWINDON on a permanent deal.

You obviously weren't at the Spurs FAC replay then. Plastic.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 13:31

One game doesn't prove anything either way though does it.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 31 Jan 2008 13:35

I'd just like to add this point.

Coppell and others have said the whole time we have forwards that will score goals, Kitson is the only one whose delievered in all honesty.

Doyle hasn't scored with his feet, Lita hasn't scored in the league yet and Long has 1? goal this season. With Doyle's form of late, Shane's suspension surely Cox should have at least been given the CHANCE in the team?? Again this is Coppell's favourites. There are certain players in the team who could reel off 10 poor performances back to back with absolutely no chance of them being taken out of the team. It's in these situations where you use the squad and give people a chance. We will never know now if Cox was good enough. Training means nothing, Kitson is apparantly the worst trainer in the world, bu come matchday he's good to go and he'll inevitably be our best player again.

Are our forwards as strong as Coppell and a few others seem to think? Or is it just a case of our midfield not doing enough to create for them?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 13:42

It could well be a bit of both.

The fact that Cox wasn't involved last night depsite the valid points you make must show that for whatever reason, the management team don't think he has what it takes to play at this level.

I can't see us purposely not having a striking option on the bench just because Cox isn't a favourite.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 31 Jan 2008 13:43

Stranded It could well be a bit of both.

The fact that Cox wasn't involved last night depsite the valid points you make must show that for whatever reason, the management team don't think he has what it takes to play at this level.

I can't see us purposely not having a striking option on the bench just because Cox isn't a favourite.

The only explanation I can think of is that they are selling him today and didn't want to risk any chance of him getting injured.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 13:49

Alan Partridge

The only explanation I can think of is that they are selling him today and didn't want to risk any chance of him getting injured.

True, which again falls in to the probably not rating him.

If they did there's no reason why they couldn't have agreed a deal with Swindon whereby he can join up on loan with them when we've got a full quota of strikers back and then make the deal permanent when the window opens again in June.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 31 Jan 2008 13:53

Alan Partridge

i think thats obvious - I immediately though that when he didnt appear on the subs bench last night

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 Jan 2008 14:07

Stranded
Alan Partridge The only explanation I can think of is that they are selling him today and didn't want to risk any chance of him getting injured.

If they did there's no reason why they couldn't have agreed a deal with Swindon whereby he can join up on loan with them when we've got a full quota of strikers back and then make the deal permanent when the window opens again in June.

In June surely Cox can do as he pleases, as he would be a free agent. Just a matter of the compensation, which I assume would be minimal.

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 31 Jan 2008 14:11

Swindon must be laughing at our valuation of Cox.
If cox was their player who had scored 9 in 18 or whatever his record, at the young age of 20/21, and we wanted to buy him they would ask in excess of a million pounds. 200k is a steal and i can only hope that we have a hefty sell on clause and first option on him.

137 posts