Does anyone mind if we get relegated?

143 posts
Shaka

Does anyone mind if we get relegated?

by Shaka » 09 Apr 2008 08:56

With the prospect of relegation still looming large, does anyone mind if we get relegated?

We're not exactly going to win the league and will need a heavy investment just to finish in the top ten.

At least if we got relegated, we'd have a chance of winning something and enjoying some away games for a change.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Does anyone mind if we get relegated?

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Apr 2008 09:04

In answer to your question: 'Yes.'

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Apr 2008 09:21

In answer to your question: 'No.'

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 09 Apr 2008 09:36

In answer to your question "Yes".
Being one of the more elderly on here I want to see for as long as possible top sides playing against us week-in,week-out having seen enough of 3rd and 4th division football for so many years.
For those that think we can just re-group and come back up just ask
Southampton
Leicester
Norwich
Ipswich and almost all the others how easy is it?

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 09 Apr 2008 09:40

Yup I'd much prefur going back to seeing us slog it out in the mud against Bury. Hey, maybee we could move into an old rusty ground and really do it properly.

Of course I bloody mind!

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 09 Apr 2008 10:06

Yes

RG1 Export

by RG1 Export » 09 Apr 2008 10:39

Yes, because I'm not comfortable that we would be able to do so well again and yo-yo back up. I'd be too worried that rather than going straight back up we would languish mid table and would forever be lost to the mires of the football league once again.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Apr 2008 11:00

Shaka enjoying some away games for a change.

Sorry, but I've enjoyed nearly every away game. I think most people here will agree when I say the away game day out is more than 90 minutes. It's the journey there, the navigation around the town you're in, the match itself, and the afters.

I do mind if we get relegated, and would be upset if it happened.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Apr 2008 11:08

"Yes" because I support Reading and want them to carry on playing on the big stage against the best clubs.

"No" because I'm sick of the uncompetitive charade that is the Premier League, and all the hassles that it brings to being a supporter. I know from talking to other sets of fans that the Championship is a much more fun place to be a real supporter in many ways, and I'd love to be in a league which Reading has an actual chance of winning, instead of one where the only objective is to not be relegated.

So I'm really torn on this one - especially as I think that if we did go down we'd lose SC and several key players and so we'd take a massive step backwards in the "brick-by-brick" building.

But anyway , I still stand by my prediction (made months ago and reaffirmed many times since) that we will not go down this season, so the whole question is academic.

Fezza

by Fezza » 09 Apr 2008 11:09

I'd be gutted if we get relegated but more because of the manner in which we have played this season than the loss of Premiership status. In any other year we would be right in the middle of a massive relegation scrap, we have been fortunate this season that (as a number on here suggested in August) there are at least 3 teams that are worse than us in the league.

The way we've played (with the exception of a handful of games; Man Ure, Liverpool home, Everton) has been really poor. Given the money now floating around in the Championship (QPR, Derby etc) I think it unlikely that we'd bounce back up.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 09 Apr 2008 11:18

For me its a resounding yes. Why spend your whole life fighting to get to the premiership and reaching the pinnacle of english football and then be so ready to get relegated. Peoples anwsers well inevitably be defined by their level of ambition, being a bigger fish in a smaller pond...or a small fish in a big pond. Tell me, how many times have we actually 'won' anything when we were in the lower leagues? a championship? the simond cup?.......

philM

by philM » 09 Apr 2008 11:23

[quote="Dirk Gently
I'd love to be in a league which Reading has an actual chance of winning, instead of one where the only objective is to not be relegated./quote]

I think striving to get into Europe is a valid objective. We only missed out by 1 point last season, this time if we are lucky maybe by 8 or 9 places. It's a logical step in our growth. It would bring in investement, more supporters and increase our profile helping to attract better players etc etc.

Maybe next season we can knock on the door and then hopefully push for a place in 2009/10.

You gotta dream!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Apr 2008 11:24

Tails For me its a resounding yes. Why spend your whole life fighting to get to the premiership and reaching the pinnacle of english football and then be so ready to get relegated. Peoples anwsers well inevitably be defined by their level of ambition, being a bigger fish in a smaller pond...or a small fish in a big pond. Tell me, how many times have we actually 'won' anything when we were in the lower leagues? a championship? the simond cup?.......

So how long do you expect it to be until we're challenging the Big 4 for the Premier League title, then? :wink:

We don't compete in cups because they might jeopardise our PL survival, and we're never ever going to have a chance of winning this league, so what are you hoping to win?

philM

by philM » 09 Apr 2008 11:30

Dirk Gently
Tails For me its a resounding yes. Why spend your whole life fighting to get to the premiership and reaching the pinnacle of english football and then be so ready to get relegated. Peoples anwsers well inevitably be defined by their level of ambition, being a bigger fish in a smaller pond...or a small fish in a big pond. Tell me, how many times have we actually 'won' anything when we were in the lower leagues? a championship? the simond cup?.......

So how long do you expect it to be until we're challenging the Big 4 for the Premier League title, then? :wink:

We don't compete in cups because they might jeopardise our PL survival, and we're never ever going to have a chance of winning this league, so what are you hoping to win?

Every game.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Apr 2008 11:33

Dirk Gently

We didn't compete in the Cup's when we weren't in the PL

sucatraps

by sucatraps » 09 Apr 2008 11:40

Yes, well no, well maybe, oh I dunno!!! I'd still be a Reading fan and I'd like us to be part of the "best league in the world" but it really depends on the criterion for the question, savvy? :wink:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 09 Apr 2008 11:44

Well obviously....It's nothing to be proud of!

TheRealRoyal

by TheRealRoyal » 09 Apr 2008 11:53

Ok heres another question for you;
If we dont get relegated, what next?
Were never going to win the league and atm getting into the top 10 looks like to much of a challenge so what are we actually achieving by staying in this league apart form heartache?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Apr 2008 11:58

TheRealRoyal Ok heres another question for you;
Were never going to win the league and atm getting into the top 10 looks like to much of a challenge so what are we actually achieving by staying in this league apart form heartache?

The club (i.e. JM) is getting shedloads of money, which he has the choice of either sticking in the bank or spending more and more of it on player's wages. If he does the latter he is more likely to ensure the incoming of shedloads of money continue for longer, but he will have less spare as the players' wages will keep going up to match the income. And if he does the latter and it fails then the finacial consequences could be devastating for all concerned.

But the club (and, by implication, him) will also stay in the limelight.

TheRealRoyal

by TheRealRoyal » 09 Apr 2008 11:59

Dirk Gently
TheRealRoyal Ok heres another question for you;

The club (i.e. JM) is getting shedloads of money, which he has the choice of either sticking in the bank or spending more and more of it on player's wages. If he does the latter he is more likely to ensure the incoming of shedloads of money continue for longer, but he will have less spare as the players' wages will keep going up to match the income. And if he does the latter and it fails then the finacial consequences could be devastating for all concerned.

But the club (and, by implication, him) will also stay in the limelight.

So the only thing we are doing in the premiership is boosting JMs bank account?

143 posts