Playing Your Strongest Team

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Playing Your Strongest Team

by The 17 Bus » 15 Apr 2008 06:50

I think it has been mentioned in other threads, but fate seems to be against little old Reading, Arsenal, the only top 4 we have to play hove only pride to play for now, and will probably field their strongest on Saturday,with Everton playing early on the thursday against Chelsea Liverpool could field a weakened side on Sat agaisnst Fulham knowing they would have a 5 point gap still over the Toffees and giving the 1st 11 a rest before the Champs League Semi. Sadly they might rest a few again against Brum, we need Chelsea to be in the title race on the last day as well imho, can we manage to go down on GD again in our history, how sad that would be.

ShinPad

Re: Playing Your Strongest Team

by ShinPad » 15 Apr 2008 07:38

Not as sad as your face

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 15 Apr 2008 09:36

Liverpool did the same last season when they played Fulham at a similar stage. Fulham won & probably saved themselves at the expense of Sheff Utd, who previously had thought themselves almost safe.
With the draw last night, the title will probably be decided before the last game, meaning that when Chelsea play Bolton on the last day, they'll have nothing to play for. So, we can't rely on other teams screwing up.

We're fcuked, basically.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Apr 2008 10:02

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Liverpool did the same last season when they played Fulham at a similar stage. Fulham won & probably saved themselves at the expense of Sheff Utd, who previously had thought themselves almost safe.
With the draw last night, the title will probably be decided before the last game, meaning that when Chelsea play Bolton on the last day, they'll have nothing to play for. So, we can't rely on other teams screwing up.

We're fcuked, basically.

I think Chelsea will still have 2nd to play for come the final game.

2nd = no qualifying rounds for the CL.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 Apr 2008 10:02

Playing vs Derby on the last day > Playing against Chelsea on the last day.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Apr 2008 10:08

Liverpool still have 4th to secure, Fulham won’t have it easy this season.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 15 Apr 2008 10:11

The 17 Bus I think it has been mentioned in other threads, but fate seems to be against little old Reading, Arsenal, the only top 4 we have to play hove only pride to play for now, and will probably field their strongest on Saturday,with Everton playing early on the thursday against Chelsea Liverpool could field a weakened side on Sat agaisnst Fulham knowing they would have a 5 point gap still over the Toffees and giving the 1st 11 a rest before the Champs League Semi. Sadly they might rest a few again against Brum, we need Chelsea to be in the title race on the last day as well imho, can we manage to go down on GD again in our history, how sad that would be.

It did play to our advantage when Liverpool had a very important C/L game a few days after the game at the Mad Stad...they hardly went hell for leather in that one.

The bad thing about the Arsenal game is, I think, they are the only team in the Prem that we havent got a single point from!!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Apr 2008 10:26

londinium
The 17 Bus I think it has been mentioned in other threads, but fate seems to be against little old Reading, Arsenal, the only top 4 we have to play hove only pride to play for now, and will probably field their strongest on Saturday,with Everton playing early on the thursday against Chelsea Liverpool could field a weakened side on Sat agaisnst Fulham knowing they would have a 5 point gap still over the Toffees and giving the 1st 11 a rest before the Champs League Semi. Sadly they might rest a few again against Brum, we need Chelsea to be in the title race on the last day as well imho, can we manage to go down on GD again in our history, how sad that would be.

It did play to our advantage when Liverpool had a very important C/L game a few days after the game at the Mad Stad...they hardly went hell for leather in that one.

The bad thing about the Arsenal game is, I think, they are the only team in the Prem that we havent got a single point from!!

Yes, maybe Coppell should stop setting up to sit back and stop them and start actually trying to take the game to Arsenal for once. I still fully expect us to play the Christmas Tree formation, give them too much respect, play for a draw and concede after five minutes though.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 15 Apr 2008 19:31

Dont follow all that you are saying as its a good time to play Arsenal as they will be as flat as a pan-cake.
Liverpool are not guaranteed 4th and will play their strongest team against Fulham.
Chelsea's result last night was unhelpful.
However its not poor ole Reading..far from it if we go down it will be totally justified as other sides have done their bit for us.
If you exclude Fulham's and Bolton's results against us...Fulham are 11 points worse off when comparing their results with ours (against all other teams) whilst Bolton are 9 points worse off...so the fact we lost all 4 encounters against these lowly sides is our screw up and no-one elses.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 15 Apr 2008 20:58

Arsenal have nothing to play for in the league, this is unlucky? If they were still in the title race you'd say it was unlucky as they'd go all out to win surely?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 15 Apr 2008 21:10

With Liverpool playing champions league after the Fulham game it is going to give Fulham a decent chance of getting a result, its hard to work out as if Everton beat chavski on thursday then Chavski might have to win against Bolton on the last day of the season but i think Chavski will have 2nd secured by then so we need to gain some points before the last day of the season. :cry:

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 16 Apr 2008 09:09

2.8 lita injection With Liverpool playing champions league after the Fulham game it is going to give Fulham a decent chance of getting a result, its hard to work out as if Everton beat chavski on thursday then Chavski might have to win against Bolton on the last day of the season but i think Chavski will have 2nd secured by then so we need to gain some points before the last day of the season. :cry:

You could drive yourself insane trying to work out what might be the best scenario, ie if Everton beat Chelsea tomorrow, that would mean that Liverpool have to get something at Fulham (and maybe against Brum) to secure their CL place. However, Chelsea would then effectively be out of the running for top place, so by the time they play Bolton they won't care about that result. :? Best just relax and try to enjoy the tension. :D

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Apr 2008 14:03

Second place is an important goal - no CL qualifiers. Chelsea will either be chasing for the title or to protect second on the last day (fingers crossed)

I think Arsenal having nothing to play for works against us in a way it wouldn't for any other team. When everything's on the line they tighten up and lose their creativity. But with nothing to play for, their flair players can just enjoy themselves - and probably will at our expense. I expect to see Walcott start and make Shorey look like a snail.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 16 Apr 2008 14:21

Arch I expect to see Walcott start and make Shorey look like a snail.

Not difficult................

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 16 Apr 2008 15:32

The whole year inn
I think Chelsea will still have 2nd to play for come the final game.

2nd = no qualifying rounds for the CL.

Chelsea may still have an 80+ home game unbeaten run to preserve. They will not want to lose that to Bolton

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Apr 2008 15:53

Royalee I still fully expect us to play the Christmas Tree formation, give them too much respect, play for a draw and concede after five minutes though.
It might work of Kitson was the fairy on top but Coppell will never drop Doyle.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Apr 2008 10:13

Forbury Lion
Royalee I still fully expect us to play the Christmas Tree formation, give them too much respect, play for a draw and concede after five minutes though.
It might work of Kitson was the fairy on top but Coppell will never drop Doyle.

We haven't got enough good midfielders at the club to play five in midfield unfortunately though.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 Apr 2008 10:21

Royalee We haven't got enough good midfielders at the club to play five in midfield unfortunately though.

Poor old Bryn :cry:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Apr 2008 10:23

:)

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1