Guardian Sport today

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Guardian Sport today

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Apr 2008 08:54

Thought this might be worthy of a thread on its own but feel free to move it to media sticky if you want.

Anyone seen the Guardian sport section today where fans from all Premiership clubs are asked to nominate the team they would most like to be relegated?

Bolton came out on top of course, but we got two nominations.

One of the nominations, and this is a disgrace, came from Fulham who described Reading as being 'too plastic' and having 'no soul or real history.'

I may be wrong, but aren't we an older club than Fulham. History is history, whether it is yesterday or 100 years ago.

I take great exception to this jibe from a club like Fulham who are only in the position they are because of Fayed's millions.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Guardian Sport today

by soggy biscuit » 18 Apr 2008 08:59

Norfolk Royal Fulham who described Reading as being 'too plastic' and having 'no soul.'

Would find it hard to argue with that to be honest

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 18 Apr 2008 09:00

Norfolk Royal Thought this might be worthy of a thread on its own but feel free to move it to media sticky if you want.

Anyone seen the Guardian sport section today where fans from all Premiership clubs are asked to nominate the team they would most like to be relegated?

Bolton came out on top of course, but we got two nominations.

One of the nominations, and this is a disgrace, came from Fulham who described Reading as being 'too plastic' and having 'no seol or real history.'

I may be wrong, but aren't we an older club than Fulham. History is history, whether it is yesterday or 100 years ago.

I take great exception to this jibe from a club like Fulham who are only in the position they are because of Fayed's millions.

They're right, we don't have any Seol :wink: we swapped him for Liam... :D They've got Seol, but it doesn't make them any better than us...

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Apr 2008 09:06

soggy biscuit
Norfolk Royal Fulham who described Reading as being 'too plastic' and having 'no soul.'

Would find it hard to argue with that to be honest

I wouldn't.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Apr 2008 09:34

Will come back to bite them in the behind if/when they ever move out of Craven Cottage or the ground gets redeveloped.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Apr 2008 09:39

It's a cheap comment.

We are as passionate as any club and have plenty of history, though at the wrong end of the football hierarchy.

We have as much right to be where we are as they are. What exactly have they achieved anyway? One failed Cup Final, Johnny Haynes, Marsh and Best and what.......................?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 18 Apr 2008 09:52

If you take plastic as being everything 'new' to football over the last ten years or so, the face painting, family orientated 'match day experience' in shiny new grounds that all kicked off following the Euro '96 led sanitisation of football, then you have to admit we are pretty 'plastic'.

Our ground is shiny and new.

A decent proportion of our fanbase are relatively new to football and fit the new profile of football fan, sorry it's customers these days, that clubs are looking to attract.

We're cheap new money when it comes to top flight football too. Sure we have a lot of history, but it's not really interesting history is it?

Are Fulham less plastic? A little yes. They're a tourist attraction as much as many other clubs, they have a neutral section for gods sake...they're hardly hard core are tehy

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Apr 2008 10:00

any club with a neutral section, and who have to advertise cheap tickets on the radio on a weekly basis in order to fill their ground, isnt fit to polish madejskis wig

Two Minutes

by Two Minutes » 18 Apr 2008 10:12

Fulham is a more evocative name than Reading, the (current) ground is more picturesque, they have a handful of ex-players that most football fans, and many non-fans, know. Reading's new ground and new fans are undoubtably a bit "plastic". And Ding as a town is more new-business/call centres than Fulham. Fulham is a club that most non-football people will have heard of, whereas they would ask "Reading? Have they got a team then?".

BUT those who know their football know how long Reading have been around. We have a history longer than nearly all other league clubs. We're just punching above our weight at the moment, so we have to expect this kind of stuff. It's better than not being written about!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Apr 2008 10:17

Frankly, who cares....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Apr 2008 10:18

'greed +1

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 18 Apr 2008 10:28

The plastic bit doesn’t bother me, to be honest. We’re an old but unsuccessful club, rescued by a sugar daddy. In an article about who clubs hate, I wouldn’t expect someone to give us credit for being well run, sticking by managers, having a brilliant first Premiership season etc. No, all of that is fine.

What I object to is what Mr Paolo Murphy of ‘There’s only one F in Fulham’ said next: “Without sounding like a snob, I don’t think the Readings of this world should be playing at such a high level.”

Who the f*ck does he think he supports? Have they got the Liverpool and Fulham copy mixed up at layout?

When I walked passed the members’ bar at Craven Cottage, which is in the front room of a Victorian house, to get to the away stand that wobbles when you walk on it, and strained to hear the voices of the Fulham faithful, I wasn’t struck by the sense of a club rich with history.

Fans of big clubs are pretty unbearable at the best of times, but fans of clubs who think they’re big are the worst.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Apr 2008 10:31

Two Minutes Fulham is a more evocative name than Reading, the (current) ground is more picturesque, they have a handful of ex-players that most football fans, and many non-fans, know. Reading's new ground and new fans are undoubtably a bit "plastic". And Ding as a town is more new-business/call centres than Fulham. Fulham is a club that most non-football people will have heard of, whereas they would ask "Reading? Have they got a team then?".

BUT those who know their football know how long Reading have been around. We have a history longer than nearly all other league clubs. We're just punching above our weight at the moment, so we have to expect this kind of stuff. It's better than not being written about!

How long did it take you to write that?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 18 Apr 2008 10:47

Gordons Cumming It's a cheap comment.

We are as passionate as any club and have plenty of history, though at the wrong end of the football hierarchy.

We have as much right to be where we are as they are. What exactly have they achieved anyway? One failed Cup Final, Johnny Haynes, Marsh and Best and what.......................?

... and that is Marsh and Best after their careers were effectively over.

Two Minutes

by Two Minutes » 18 Apr 2008 10:56

Gordons Cumming
Two Minutes Fulham is a more evocative name than Reading, the (current) ground is more picturesque, they have a handful of ex-players that most football fans, and many non-fans, know. Reading's new ground and new fans are undoubtably a bit "plastic". And Ding as a town is more new-business/call centres than Fulham. Fulham is a club that most non-football people will have heard of, whereas they would ask "Reading? Have they got a team then?".

How long did it take you to write that?

About as long as it took to type, which I guess is your subtle sarcastic point. All I'm saying is that Fulham is a slightly more "soulful" club and place than Reading. They still wouldn't be where they are without a rich chairman, like us. And who cares anyway, we're Reading, we're an old club which has mostly been a bit rubbish, we've got a shiny new stadium, kids go to the games, and we're going to love the club no matter what.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 18 Apr 2008 10:57

Tom Hark doesn't help our cause here. We're as plastic as they come with gimmicks like this. Sorry but its true.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 Apr 2008 11:00

Wasn't so long ago Fulham were scrapping with Torquay to avoid finishing bottom of the football league.

Reading don't deserve top flight football indeed :lol:

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Apr 2008 11:13

Said the fan whose club was rescued by MAdejski's millions.....

Pot, kettle, black.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Apr 2008 11:18

working class hero

Said the fan whose club was rescued by MAdejski's millions.....

Pot, kettle, black.

except theirs is a shiny golden kettle

and ours is just a broken old brown teapot

the two "sugar daddys" cant be compared, in terms of money they have pumped in to the respective clubs, why they got involved in the 1st place, or their general business nous

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Apr 2008 11:40

Well said that man.