SHOREY BOOKING

comeonthebiscuitmen

SHOREY BOOKING

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 27 Apr 2008 18:45

What a ridiculous booking.
The Ref Martin Atkinson was put right by Chris Kamara on goals on sunday, I tuned in hoping they would show the incident (Match of the day failed to).
And they had printed out the laws of the game and were saying there was nothing wrong with Shorey and Hunt's throw in routine.
Peter Reid and Kevin Davies agreed.

I doubt the club will appeal but it should be clarified by the FA and the yellow rescinded as it is in no way against the laws of the game.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SHOREY BOOKING

by mr_number » 27 Apr 2008 18:53

yeah, sounds ridiculous, but i don't think you're allowed to appeal against yellow cards, somewhat bizarrely...

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Apr 2008 18:56

didnt see goals on sunday, but i believe if shorey had done that type of throw against an opposing player it would have been deemed a foul, but nothing wrong with doing it to one of your own players, think the ref got a bit confused there!

finnbot4050

by finnbot4050 » 27 Apr 2008 18:57

yeah it sounded a stupid booking on the radio but it sounded like the ref was having a nightmare of a game

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2008 18:57

The ref needs to explain the booking to the FA, be educated if it was wrong and then be dropped down a league or two until he proves he can get things right.

Regardless of whether it was a legal move or not, it was in no way a bookable offence if it was the same trick as used against Fulham.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 27 Apr 2008 18:58

RL will be arguing that if the ref hadn't booked Shorey Reading will have got into Europe.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 27 Apr 2008 19:01

tbf the ref was a tad dump yesterday, Hunt only got booked because of the moaning from the wigwam players

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Apr 2008 19:02

Does anyone know what he was booked for? Ungentlemanly conduct?

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 27 Apr 2008 19:04

Whats has Shorey picked up so many bookings he will be suspened for the next few games? If not what are you so worried about royal fans?

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 27 Apr 2008 19:31

RTFC Drummer

Whats has Shorey picked up so many bookings he will be suspened for the next few games? If not what are you so worried about royal fans?

Say again?

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 27 Apr 2008 19:36

at the time we werent sure (it was at the far end) if shorey or Hunt had been booked so when Hunt got booked we were a bit worried.
Shoreys card will have been unsporting behaviour.
But it wasn't - and I would argue that there is nothing wrong with throwing the ball against an opponent either.
On Goals on sunday they showed the goal where dean saunders played a throw-in off the opposing keeper and then scored.
if thats unsportsmanlike then so is deliberately kicking it against a defender to win a corner and thats just silly.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 27 Apr 2008 19:57

comeonthebiscuitmen at the time we werent sure (it was at the far end) if shorey or Hunt had been booked so when Hunt got booked we were a bit worried.
Shoreys card will have been unsporting behaviour.
But it wasn't - and I would argue that there is nothing wrong with throwing the ball against an opponent either.
On Goals on sunday they showed the goal where dean saunders played a throw-in off the opposing keeper and then scored.
if thats unsportsmanlike then so is deliberately kicking it against a defender to win a corner and thats just silly.

Unsportsmanlike? That's crap, just sharp play.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 27 Apr 2008 20:18

They did it during the Fulham game, no problem.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 Apr 2008 08:52

Ian Royal The ref needs to explain the booking to the FA, be educated if it was wrong and then be dropped down a league or two until he proves he can get things right.

All officials found out the weekend before last which banding they finished in for the current season and whether they move up or down a division so too late for next season.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Apr 2008 08:55

soggy biscuit
Ian Royal The ref needs to explain the booking to the FA, be educated if it was wrong and then be dropped down a league or two until he proves he can get things right.

All officials found out the weekend before last which banding they finished in for the current season and whether they move up or down a division so too late for next season.

But not too late to be "dropped" to a lower division for a few games - a la Rob Styles and Mark Clattenburg earlier in the season.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 28 Apr 2008 10:04

Toon Toon Blue army They did it during the Fulham game, no problem.

They were given a talking to by the ref immediately after having done it during the Fulham game.

It really isn't ungentlemanly conduct. Compare and contrast the throw-in with Jahdi's twice-unpunished antics.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Apr 2008 10:33

Baines
Toon Toon Blue army They did it during the Fulham game, no problem.

They were given a talking to by the ref immediately after having done it during the Fulham game.

It really isn't ungentlemanly conduct. Compare and contrast the throw-in with Jahdi's twice-unpunished antics.

Quite. I just don't see what was wrong.

If Shorey had given Hunt a quick shout and he'd turned round and let the ball hit him on the chest it would have the same effect so why we can't do it this way I'll never know.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 28 Apr 2008 10:34

I thought they were lucky to get away with it against Fulham tbh. i suppose it's not a genuine competition for possession

by 1960 » 28 Apr 2008 10:50

Baines Compare and contrast the throw-in with Jahdi's twice-unpunished antics.

Now that his cheating has been exposed in detail on TV I doubt that he'll get away with it again. The ref could give the defence a free kick for "seeking to gain an advantage" so that the offensive kick would be wasted - good result. And he could book him for ungentlemanly conduct on top.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2008 10:56

Baines Compare and contrast the throw-in with Jahdi's twice-unpunished antics.

Now that his cheating has been exposed in detail on TV I doubt that he'll get away with it again. The ref could give the defence a free kick for "seeking to gain an advantage" so that the offensive kick would be wasted - good result. And he could book him for ungentlemanly conduct on top.

Are you going to start to book attacking players for standing on the end of the defensive wall too? What about those standing in a fake wall infront of the ball?

If he's in an offside position when the free kick is taken then great, give him offside, but in at least one of those two examples they showed on the TV he wasn't even in an offside position.

There is nothing wrong with trying to obstruct the view of the keeper, although if he starts jumping up and down or shouting at him I think he crosses the line.