The cause of the symptoms for the treatment...

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

The cause of the symptoms for the treatment...

by PistolPete » 28 Apr 2008 11:01

This is a long post, please ignore if you don't have time!

This season Reading have won back-to-back games only once (last season it was five times, including five wins in a row), won only one game away from home all season (compared to five) and has conceded 65 goals already compared to 42 at the same stage of the season last year. So what went wrong? These are a few of what I believe are the causes of the symptoms. Many are interconnected of course, but I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and additions.

1 2nd season syndrome. I laughed this off at the beginning of the season as unfounded hype. Contrary to popular belief, teams haven’t ‘found us out’, we play a totally different brand of football this year (more of that later), but it is human nature to believe that you no longer need to prove yourself quite as much as first time around; It happened to the likes of Reo-Coker and Anton Ferdinand at West Ham last year and this season it happened to the likes of Shorey and Lita at Reading. Even competing 5% less can make a big difference at premier league level, especially when you are punching above your weight.

2 Patterns of Play – Alex Fergusson, no less, after the FA cup replay last year, called Reading ‘the best crossers in the premier league’. Time after time the reading full back would chip the ball down the line, the winger would in turn knock the ball inside to the midfielder who would thread the ball back down the line for a cross. It is called a ‘pattern of play’ and we were damn good at it. It’s not rocket science but, when executed deliberately, is very difficult to defend. Moves such as this became staple in the championship, but with the team lacking the confidence to get the ball down and play, too often we have favoured of the long and hopeful pass instead of ‘working the channels’.

3 Glen Little – He had been so good for two seasons that it is just too hard to ignore the positive impact he made on our strikers. I don’t know the stats, but his assists must have given our forwards the goals that in turn provided confidence …and more goals. It is unfortunate that the extent of the injury was not initially known because a quality right winger as replacement has been sorely missed.

4 Steve Sidwell – I still do not believe that Sidwell was any better than anyone else in the team that won a record breaking promotion in 2006 – nonetheless Alan Green rightly pointed out that Readings success was founded on having the hardest working midfield since Izzet and Lennon at Leicester. Sadly it has taken the likes of Fae and Bikey far too long to adapt. The fact that six players (Cisse, Hunt, Gunnarsson, Fae, Bikey and Matejovskey) have been tested as Sidwell’s replacement goes to show just how hard Sidwell has been to replace- What a shame Scott Bown chose Celtic!

5 Penalties – Just too many given away at crucial times. This is down to a lack of confidence of players who make ‘half tackles’ and therefore get the player not the ball. Imposing, confident centre halves are a necessity next season…

6 Squad unrest – In the past everyone knew their role and how to win their place. A solid back four, regular central midfield pairing, and wingers and strikers who always played unless unfit! Doyle, Kitson and Lita all thought they were first choice because one (never two!) was always injured. This season however, with the signings of Rosenior, Bikey, Fae, Kebe, Matejovskey, Cisse as well as all the strikers being fit at the same time, it seems that players have been getting more frustrated at being out of the team. This has undoubtedly affected team morale.

7 No Sheffield United – Well that’s a guaranteed 6 points isn’t it!

So are there any positives? Well yes, Rosenior, Bikey, Fae, Cisse and Matejovskey look like very good prospects and I hope all will find their feet in their second seasons. Additionally, there is no such thing as third season syndrome so hopefully a few of our players will realise that they still need to try very hard to prove themselves again. Finally, the teams coming up look like they will struggle; West Brom are good, but the likelihood of Hull, Stoke, Palace, Watford coming up and staying up is low. IF we stay up this season I think we have a lot to look forward to, but this simply highlights the importance of the next two games…

Come on boys, 4 points will do it!!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The cause of the symptoms for the treatment...

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2008 11:07

I only really read the last paragraph...I'm not sure I'd consider Cisse and Fae as positives this season though. Neither have looked up to the job (Cisse's appearance at centreback against Utd apart) whenever I've seen them.

The only positive for me is that it's nearly all over and we're not relegated yet. Thankfully other clubs have been as woeful as us and we're still in with a shout of doing it all over again next year.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2008 11:15

PistolPete Additionally, there is no such thing as third season syndrome

Erm, are you quite sure? Wigan have struggled again this year.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 28 Apr 2008 11:25

Someone called it "first season syndrome" - you tend to over-perform in your first season. Frame it in those terms and it makes more sense.

Basically, we've lost three key players from last season. Sidwell (free transfer), Little (injury), Lita (his own arse).

We failed to replace Sidwell. We sold our only cover for Little and tried to change the way we played and Lita simply hasn't performed and when we could get someone extra in, we chose not to and then loaned him on.

And that's not including massive losses of form to Shorey, Hunt and Doyle.

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 28 Apr 2008 11:43

One of the major reasons for our drop down the table is that we massively over achieved last season, so it looks worse for us, than it really is. Also, nearly every other team in the league has improved their squad's massively (Villa, Everton, Portsmouth etc) and we didn't make any changes quick enough. Also, 8 games in a row without a win, probably didn't help us much.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Apr 2008 12:04

I'm struggling to see how Fae is seen as a good prospect as he is our record signing and Coppell doesn't seem to think he's good enough to actually, errr, play a game.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2008 12:06

Norfolk Royal I'm struggling to see how Fae is seen as a good prospect as he is our record signing and Coppell doesn't seem to think he's good enough to actually, errr, play a game.

Are you a mind-reader?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Apr 2008 12:06

Good post, Pete.

Good effort.

We're going down with just 1 more point than we have now.

Your comments are the best reasons I've read for our demise.

It's a real,real shame.

I was really sure we'd stay up but after watching the Fulham game my hopes were dashed. Wigan and Arsenal haven't helped either.

I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Apr 2008 12:07

The truth is that the margin between success and failure in the PL is tiny.

If we had beaten Fulham and Bolton at home and picked up just one more win away we would be in comfortable mid table. We have performed quite well except against some of the other bottom sides. I really have no idea why the players did not show up against Fulham and Bolton - home or away - but if we go down the 12 points we dropped against these sides will be crucial.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 28 Apr 2008 12:12

"The cause of symptoms..."???

"The cause or symptoms..." surely?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2008 12:14

SpaceCruiser
Norfolk Royal I'm struggling to see how Fae is seen as a good prospect as he is our record signing and Coppell doesn't seem to think he's good enough to actually, errr, play a game.

Are you a mind-reader?

I think the evidence is pretty clear don't you?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Apr 2008 12:14

Can't disagree with any of that PP.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2008 12:15

Hoop Blah
SpaceCruiser

Are you a mind-reader?

I think the evidence is pretty clear don't you?

Didn't he (or somebody else, like Dillon) say that Fae doesn't track back as much and therefore needs time to adjust to the way football is played in England?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Apr 2008 12:17

SpaceCruiser

Are you a mind-reader?

Well, when Andre Bikey first pulled on the shirt for Reading he was an absolute liability, couldn't pass, headed like Matty Robinson (ie it could go anywhere!) and fouled like a lunatic. BUT, many on here saw some potential...

Emerese Fae, in my opinion, has moments where he too looks a good payer (Arsenal away for example). I believe that he will fufil his potential somewhere and sincerely hope that he has the determination that it will be whle at Reading rather than sulking back to France where he undoubtably has many admirers...

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 28 Apr 2008 12:19

Great post. I agree with alot of what you've said, and I too think that Fae has looked alright when he's played, but unfortunately the manager has his golden boys and its hard to get in unless they're injured (ie Hunt/Harper/Doyle).

As to next season, I agree that the teams coming up look absolute pants, but so did Sunderland and if you spend money, you give yourself a chance.

I think we'll go down, we've become a team of bottlers, had countless chances to pull away and messed up the lot big time. I think we'll bottle it again against Spurs (who are pretty good anywa on their day) and I can't even see us winning at Derby - we don't win away full stop.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Apr 2008 12:22

Bristol Paul Great post. I agree with alot of what you've said, and I too think that Fae has looked alright when he's played, but unfortunately the manager has his golden boys and its hard to get in unless they're injured (ie Hunt/Harper/Doyle).

As to next season, I agree that the teams coming up look absolute pants, but so did Sunderland and if you spend money, you give yourself a chance.

I think we'll go down, we've become a team of bottlers, had countless chances to pull away and messed up the lot big time. I think we'll bottle it again against Spurs (who are pretty good anywa on their day) and I can't even see us winning at Derby - we don't win away full stop.

As I said...........1 point. :cry:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2008 12:23

SpaceCruiser Didn't he (or somebody else, like Dillon) say that Fae doesn't track back as much and therefore needs time to adjust to the way football is played in England?

So where does being a mind reader come into it?

He hasn't played. Coppell picks the team, therefore Coppell must think he isn't good enough to be in the side.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 28 Apr 2008 12:26

Hoop Blah
SpaceCruiser Didn't he (or somebody else, like Dillon) say that Fae doesn't track back as much and therefore needs time to adjust to the way football is played in England?

He hasn't played. Coppell picks the team, therefore Coppell must think he isn't good enough to be in the side.

You're making an assumption there, aren't you?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 28 Apr 2008 12:31

Man Friday "The cause of symptoms..."???

"The cause or symptoms..." surely?

Medical Example

Syptoms - Smelly breath and dry mouth.
Diagnosis - Halitosis
Cause - Too much garlic
Treatment - Brush your teeth!

Reading FC

Symptoms - Dropping points
Diagnosis - Not good enough
Cause - See points 1-7
Treatent - Steve Coppell's summer bargain hunt!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure Spacecruiser would have pointed it out if I was!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Apr 2008 12:33

Hoop Blah

How difficult is it to learn to track back? :shock: