OK, this is not a pi55 take..... but...

mini _dariusz

OK, this is not a pi55 take..... but...

by mini _dariusz » 11 May 2008 18:09

Everyone's saying they've never been so upset, worst day of my life etc etc etc.

Guys guys guys, why ?????????????????????

The dream is over, but just remember, you've just lived the dream, and have an opportunity next season to reclaim it. The club is in good shape off the field, the basis of a challenge next season is there. It's not like relegation under Bullivant / Tommy Burns in 98 where the club was going backwards fast. This is where Reading are, a yo yo club like everyone else. Get used to it. It's nothing to ashamed or dissapointed, it's jsut your turn this time unfortunately.

Getting relegated to the first division is no great shake, it was inevitable it was going to happen sometime. Fact is, you'll probably be challenging next season and be there or thereabouts. otherwise you're going to be avoiding relegation forever unless you're deluded and think you can be above all that and push on for Europe, for those that think that, get oxf*rd real !!!

Perspective, but what really is there to be tearful about ? The challenge could start all over again in August and you could be chasing success, as opposed to success being "avoiding failure" forever more ?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: OK, this is not a pi55 take..... but...

by winchester_royal » 11 May 2008 18:11

Exactly, i think the quest for premiership football is a real example of the fun being in the chase rather than the catch

Cannot wait for games like Soton away :D :D :D :D :D :D

blade 1

by blade 1 » 11 May 2008 18:17

I cheered myself up last year because there would be cheaper prices, more games, we would actually win some games, there would be less cheating, no blatent favouring of the big teams, no jt or steavie G reffing games *spits*, an away trip to blackpool, no ashley cole and we could have a crack at winning the league.

Although that was before Brian Robson ended that dream and crushed my spirits.

If you keep coppell youll be alright.

(Three way race for the title next year, you birmingham and the blades imo)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 May 2008 19:23

blade 1 I cheered myself up last year because there would be cheaper prices, more games, we would actually win some games, there would be less cheating, no blatent favouring of the big teams, no jt or steavie G reffing games *spits*, an away trip to blackpool, no ashley cole and we could have a crack at winning the league.

id take that anyday!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 May 2008 19:29

blade 1 I cheered myself up last year because there would be cheaper prices, more games, we would actually win some games, there would be less cheating, no blatent favouring of the big teams, no jt or steavie G reffing games *spits*, an away trip to blackpool, no ashley cole and we could have a crack at winning the league.

Yeah! And we get blade 1 back! Every cloud, as they say. :wink:

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 11 May 2008 19:37

Finch, I've come over all tearful.

Yes, it was a bit of an anticlimax.. but that's Reading for you. Today, in no way compares to waiting on the Tilehurst End to find out that Exeter had relegated us to Division 4.

Good performance today. That's life. Anyone who has been a fan for a while should surely have known that we wouldn't survive today.

Anyway. Thanks for the last 2 years chaps. When you've watched most of your footie in Divsion 3 and 4, the last 2 seasons have been pretty unbelievable.

Great atmosphere in the Irish pub today as well. Numerous spotteds.

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 11 May 2008 19:58

'greed
Can't be arsed to read the multiple threads on here (there's drinking to be done) but relegation from the Premier League, whilst not ideal, would have been a distant dream in the olden days of evening KOs against Bury, Rochdale & Northampton Town. And it's a step closer to renewing the old rivalry with Aldershot. OK, I was getting carried away, that's really taking it a step too far.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 11 May 2008 20:00

The only thing I'll miss is the TV coverage - cant imagine a Sopcast of Reading v Derby next season

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 May 2008 20:02

Maybe this club is making progress. How many times have we arrived at the last day with everything at stake and the team hasn't shown up. I realize that Derby are absolutely atrocious, but the players looked like they wanted to win.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 11 May 2008 21:23

Well said that man. Although not better for the club, I'd bet a large amount of our fans (me included) would, having experienced the Prem for a couple of seasons and realised it doesn't live to the hype, prefer to be in the CCC.

Course I wouldn't be saying that if we'd stayed up :wink:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 May 2008 00:52

In 38 years following this club, nothing has come remotely close to the joy of winning the Championship. Now we get a shot at repeating it.

Royal Family

by Royal Family » 12 May 2008 01:06

Agree the prem is overrated .... but it's a shame about today - ten years ago Fulham were also in league 1 or division 3 old money. OK Fayed had just bought them & Keegan was manager ... but still they're not a massively bigger club than Reading!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 May 2008 01:16

the 1st blades fan i have ever heard sense come out of..... MIRACLE

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 12 May 2008 03:36

Colin's blades? Best games we had. Kevin Blackwell's a nice guy, but it won't be the same.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 May 2008 07:05

Agree with Para Handy, this is not as bad as any pervious relegations, sadly we were not good enough, it was our fault.

Now we have to believe that returning is possible, having done it once it can be done again, no pressure to make it 1st time.

Only comment I disagree is the often repeated comment about it being cheaper to watch footy in the Championship, on that arguement we may as well drop out of the league, it is even cheaper there.

I was one priced out, but I watched the odd match, and would rather see us in the Prem, despite all the money, and the lack of competion, but it has honestly always been like that in truth.

URRRRZZZZZZZ

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 12 May 2008 07:14

I am looking forward to seeing a better standard of referee in the CCC.

We must retain Steve Coppell and team and invest wisely the 'war chest' available to us.

And hey! As plastics disappear off back to Chelski, some loyal fans who found it difficult to obtain tickets may find it easier now.

Every cloud has a silver lining. URZZZZ! :) :)

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 12 May 2008 07:56

loyalroyal4life

the 1st blades fan i have ever heard sense come out of..... MIRACLE

A little harsh...Blades fans are in general, fair minded and reasonable folk, it was just that malaka Colin who soured things.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 12 May 2008 07:59

agreed Bobby,

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 May 2008 08:15

I'm excited by a return to the Championship, We're going to have something to play for and whilst experience tells me it won't be all plain sailing, as is the case with so many relegated teams, I would be surprised if we are not one of the favourites to go back up.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 14 May 2008 19:49

Yeah! And we get blade 1 back! Every cloud, as they say. :wink:

Haha,

Have i been missed?