Transfer Policy and Squad Size - what do you read into it?

276 posts
Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Transfer Policy and Squad Size - what do you read into it?

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 20 May 2008 21:04

I didn't see this anywhere - so hopefully this isn't a Dodd moment!

So, we now know. Sir Steve is staying. And as with most of you - I am absolutely delighted!

What did concern me was some of the latter areas of the interview.

Chairman, can I ask you; now you have secured this deal, is the biggest job for you and Nick Hammond now to sort out the future of the players, those who'll be coming in and those who'll be leaving. And how big a job is that?

It is a pretty big job. I think Steven has gone public in saying he feels the squad is too big at the moment. But what I would like to say is that the thing that comes through, and I think Steve buys into it, is that this Club is very much a community club and that's what we try to emphasise as much as possible. I think that's why we have this fellowship here, which is very special and which we are very proud of that. I think that plays an important part too.

Will any other predatory Premier League club be able to get your players on the cheap?

Certainly not! We don't sell anything on the cheap here. We're good business people at the end of the day. They'll obviously try but I'm sure we won't let anything slip through our hands.

Chairman, are you in a position to say today that Steve will have substantial financial backing from you to bring the team back up the the Premiership?

As I've already expressed, the squad is too large at the moment so I think we'd have to do some trading to achieve that objective. At least that's my spin on it.

Now, firstly, well done Mr. Mad for laying down a line in the sand on our better players. It is nice to know if Shorey, Hunt, Doyle, Lita or any other big name is going to go, it is going to be for sensible money, not the first offer that comes in.

Having said this, whilst we have a strong squad, the question is, how many does SSC want to get rid of, and how many will Madejski need to see go before we continue making the investment needed to re-secure our premiership status?

Presumably Fae, Shorey, Bennett and Sodje will all go. If so, is that enough, or will we need to offload more before we invest? Or, will Mr. Madejski still invest under the preise that it is the right player, and Coppell look to offload over the rest of the summer?

My big fear is that, reading between the lines, we miss out on a player because the wage bill is deemed to be too high.

What do the rest of you think?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Transfer Policy and Squad Size - what do you read into it?

by gazzer, loyal royal » 20 May 2008 21:11

if we can get a fee for Fae, Bennett and Sodje then that will be good business and money we can look to invest. Shorey will obviously go for a fee, which will be high for the championship and will be money we can also invest wisely.

I think a lot of the players that went out on loan at any capacity will leave, the likes of robson-kanu, sodje, bennet, stack and possibly pearce, henry and karacan. Trimming the wage bill of these 6 and shorey and fae is 8 players who train with the first team. Job done in my eyes

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 May 2008 21:14

If we get rid of all of Robson Kanu, Pearce, Henry and Karacan, I will cry. Do you seriously want our Academy prospects to leave? And how is dumping four youth players going to have much effect on our wage bill, when they probably don't earn Stephen Hunt's salary between them?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 20 May 2008 21:16

Surely we have just trimmed the squad? Is it still too big?

I was thinking earlier about how utility players/experienced squad fillers can be vital, players like Gunnarson and Makin both did very different yet essential jobs in our promotion year.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 20 May 2008 21:19

cmonurz If we get rid of all of Robson Kanu, Pearce, Henry and Karacan, I will cry. Do you seriously want our Academy prospects to leave? And how is dumping four youth players going to have much effect on our wage bill, when they probably don't earn Stephen Hunt's salary between them?

i don't want them to leave but what do any of them warrant a place in a championship squad? only pearce made an impact while on loan but is behind Ivar, Bikey, Doobs and Sonks in the pecking order

if any of them were god enough they would ahve made an impact by now

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 May 2008 21:31

No, that is no longer true. We are a Championship side again. Only Henry has disappointed; looks like Robson-Kanu is doing ok at Southend, Pearce has done well, Karacan fairly well at Bournemouth and Millwall. How exactly do we benefit by getting rid? These are the players we should be looking to develop into the team next season, not jettison them off so that Cisse can sit on the bench for 12 months earning £15k a week or whatever he is on.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 May 2008 21:38

gazzer, loyal royal
cmonurz If we get rid of all of Robson Kanu, Pearce, Henry and Karacan, I will cry. Do you seriously want our Academy prospects to leave? And how is dumping four youth players going to have much effect on our wage bill, when they probably don't earn Stephen Hunt's salary between them?

i don't want them to leave but what do any of them warrant a place in a championship squad? only pearce made an impact while on loan but is behind Ivar, Bikey, Doobs and Sonks in the pecking order

Karacan made a big impact at Millwall.

http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk ... ightmode=1

As cmonurz suggests it would be completely nuts to let the 4 mentioned go. They may not have been ready for PL exposure, and they may well not be part of the starting team come August, but they have to be given opportunities next season and, given the lessons Coppell has admitted to learning this year, I would be staggered if they are not.

PS I doubt they collectively earn even a third of Hunt's salary!

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 20 May 2008 21:42

Royal Rother
gazzer, loyal royal

Karacan made a big impact at Millwall.

As cmonurz suggests it would be completely nuts to let the 4 mentioned go. They may not have been ready for PL exposure, and they may well not be part of the starting team come August, but they have to be given opportunities next season and, given the lessons Coppell has admitted to learning this year, I would be staggered if they are not.

Spot on. All four should come into squad reckoning this season.

PS I doubt they collectively earn even a third of Hunt's salary!

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 20 May 2008 21:45

Royal Rother Karacan made a big impact at Millwall.

Balls to Karacan. Let's get this Fusieni guy in. He sounds awesome.

zummerset

by zummerset » 20 May 2008 21:46

what is this fan base for Doobs??? Let him go he is getting on for past it and lower leagues

working class hero

by working class hero » 20 May 2008 22:27

SC likes a squad of 18-20.

He has also stated that Fae will never play for him again - so a solid saving there!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2008 22:39

We certainly need to weed out some of the chaff

Keepers - 2
Hahnemann, and one of Federici and Anderson
Fullbacks - 3-4
Rosenior, Murty, ..., - assuming Shorey is going,
Centrebacks - 6
Sonko, Ivar, Duberry, Cisse, Bikey, Pearce
Central midfield - 4 + Cisse
Harper, Marek, Gunnar, ...,
Wingers - 4
Hunt, Little, Convey, ...
Strikers - 4
Kitson, Lita, Doyle & Long

+ Hamer, Golbourne, Henry, Robson-Kanu, Karacan, Bozanic, Davies, Church, Illguson

Already gone: Halls, Brown, Bygrave, De La Cruz, Oster & Stack
Shirley these MUST go: Stack, Sodje, Fae
I'd also get rid of: One of Federici & Andersen + Osano & Kebe

That would give us a squad of 20 + 9 youngsters before new signings or 24 + youngsters after new signings. ignoring t h epossibility of anyone important other than Shorey leaving. Of course we'll keep Kebe. But hey that's the way I see it.

Of course the following season we'd almost certainly need to clear out Doobs, Murts, Gunnar and probably Little as well, or at the very least bring in replacements so they are only fringe squad players. Possibly the same for Hahnemann.

Radders

by Radders » 20 May 2008 22:44

moo Surely we have just trimmed the squad? Is it still too big?

I was thinking earlier about how utility players/experienced squad fillers can be vital, players like Gunnarson and Makin both did very different yet essential jobs in our promotion year.

Totally agree. Not suggesting for one minute that we sign either of these but Windass and Barmby are experienced pro's who with limited fitness have done a good job for Hull this year. They will not play in the Prem next season and we could use senior players to help us get back to the prem. If we signed senior players on good wages for 1 year it may be a gamble worth taking, particularly as we have the parachute payments for 2 years to offset the financial risk.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2008 22:48

Radders

Totally agree. Not suggesting for one minute that we sign either of these but Windass and Barmby are experienced pro's who with limited fitness have done a good job for Hull this year. They will not play in the Prem next season and we could use senior players to help us get back to the prem. If we signed senior players on good wages for 1 year it may be a gamble worth taking, particularly as we have the parachute payments for 2 years to offset the financial risk.

100% wholeheartedly disagree.

The players we need to bring in are up and coming younger players with a hunger to get to the top. We have a team full of premier League experience now and we don't want to bring in players only to have to replace them should we go up, when we'll have a whole load more we're currently keeping to replace in a years time. + Extra prem quality to find and flesh out the squad again.

Radders

by Radders » 20 May 2008 23:11

Ian Royal
Radders

100% wholeheartedly disagree.

The players we need to bring in are up and coming younger players with a hunger to get to the top. We have a team full of premier League experience now and we don't want to bring in players only to have to replace them should we go up, when we'll have a whole load more we're currently keeping to replace in a years time. + Extra prem quality to find and flesh out the squad again.

It was based on our so called better players leaving in the summer. We could always leave the money in the bank. The sponsors, who are very important for this club now, will soon leave to find someone else to go and support if we don't get back again or at the very least look like we are giving it a go. We will need decent, experienced players for this and if our senior pro's leave they will need replacing. I really hope that some of our younger players come through this year to make an impact but SC doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in them, does he?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2008 23:16

Who said anything about our young players? We need to buy in talent, but not experienced journeymen for one season.

We need the likes of Kightly as a name off the top of my head. Talented, young and full of potential. Good enough for the champ now and ready to step up to the prem soon. Not the likes of Windass or Akinbadbyi

Radders

by Radders » 20 May 2008 23:29

Someone further up mentioned younger players.

If our first team come out next season with the wrong attitude, ie. were all premier league players and we are too good for this league, do you think some young, talented player will be able to guide our players back down to earth again?

I will say again that Windass is not someone we should buy but he has seen it all before so is a valid example of the sort of player we may need. He is rich beyond most of our wildest dreams but still displays the right sort of attitude. Certainly not Akinbadbuy either.

For the record, I would loved to be proved wrong on this and that our players come out with the right attitude from the start. If this happens, feel free to mention this post in a years time!

Mr Controversial

by Mr Controversial » 21 May 2008 00:02

Chairman, are you in a position to say today that Steve will have substantial financial backing from you to bring the team back up the the Premiership?

As I've already expressed, the squad is too large at the moment so I think we'd have to do some trading to achieve that objective. At least that's my spin on it.

I cannot believe what I am reading here! Is this the same Chairman that told us we would expand the stadium and have a £20million transfer kitty if we stay up!!

I agree that we have fat to trim, but there is a definate requirement for fresh blood in the team - I will stick my neck out right now and say without any squad investment in new players, we wont get promoted. Time after time we get spoonfed this artificial ambition by Reading FC which is all talk and not a lot more. Added to that is the fact that we have (as mentioned above) a few potential players coming through the expensive academy - how rarely are these guys given a chance!

The journalists follow up question to Mr Madejski should have been;
"Where has all the money from the Premiership gone!"

ps) I hope I am proven wrong and someone digs this post out in May 2009 once Reading FC have smashed their own Championship points record.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 May 2008 00:37

Mr Controversial

I cannot believe what I am reading here!
[/size]

Oh, I can believe it alright. You didn't think the announcement today of lower ticket prices would come without any strings did you? Get ready for the 'We will do most of our business in January' statements. And then of course in January...

clauski

by clauski » 21 May 2008 00:52

If we have to trim the squad, surely Doobs as around 4th choice central defender should have been thanked but passed on a new contract offer, given we surely need a new centre back as a priority based on this year?

276 posts