Ready to be the "Cup Final" for most teams we play nxt yr?

gonesy

Ready to be the "Cup Final" for most teams we play nxt yr?

by gonesy » 14 Jun 2008 15:26

This from the BBC website - We'll never be little old Reading again:

Daggers boss relishes Royals tie

Dagenham & Redbridge boss John Still was delighted to see his side drawn at home with Championship side Reading in the Carling Cup first round.

The match will take place during the week commencing 11 August.

Still told BBC London 94.9: "It's a good tie for our supporters, players and for the football club.

"Looking at this competition, you think who's the best draw we can get - and I would probably say it's come up with it really. I'm absolutely delighted."

Daggers chief executive Steve Thompson was also delighted with the draw. He told BBC Essex: "It's amazing, absolutely fantastic - our second time in the Carling Cup, our second home draw and an ex-Premiership side.

"We're really looking forward to it and looking forward to a packed house here, we're over the moon."

sucatraps

Re: Ready to be the "Cup Final" for most teams we play nxt yr?

by sucatraps » 14 Jun 2008 17:39

I think he might mean, that they think they can win it! :shock:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Jun 2008 18:11

Of course they can win it, if we play badly and they play out of their skins.
It's happened before and it will happen again.

double d

by double d » 14 Jun 2008 20:05

or we bottle it I.E fulham last season or watford year before

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 14 Jun 2008 21:40

CarLOLing cup.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jun 2008 22:43

Cup finals for a lot of teams? No, some maybe.

There'll be a fair few who are out to put one over on us in revenge or to maybe bring us back down to earth though!

Would we have looked at Barnsley as a cup final if/when we played them after relegation from the premier league? No, didn't think so.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Jun 2008 00:59

I hope for the sake of the thread starter's credibility that he is talking with tongue very much in cheek, otherwise he is absolutely deLOLuded. This draw is a reasonably big deal for Dagenham, but to suggest that a game against Reading will be like a cup final for any of the teams we will face week-in week-out next season is as delusional as it is clueless. Is this the RTG ready-made excuse for next season - it was Nottingham Forest's cup final?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Jun 2008 01:36

floyd__streete I hope for the sake of the thread starter's credibility that he is talking with tongue very much in cheek, otherwise he is absolutely deLOLuded. This draw is a reasonably big deal for Dagenham, but to suggest that a game against Reading will be like a cup final for any of the teams we will face week-in week-out next season is as delusional as it is clueless. Is this the RTG ready-made excuse for next season - it was Nottingham Forest's cup final?

The RTG/STG counter is reset now surely?

(Maybe this way we get Floyd and Alan Partridge to be positive - I'll gladly be negative if that is needed :wink: )

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Jun 2008 18:26

I'm saving my STGs until after our opening day defeat at home to Barnsley.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Jun 2008 23:58

floyd__streete I hope for the sake of the thread starter's credibility that he is talking with tongue very much in cheek, otherwise he is absolutely deLOLuded. This draw is a reasonably big deal for Dagenham, but to suggest that a game against Reading will be like a cup final for any of the teams we will face week-in week-out next season is as delusional as it is clueless. Is this the RTG ready-made excuse for next season - it was Nottingham Forest's cup final?

Yep, nobody will raise their game for a match v us, and we'll be routinely nudged into the "C" category of teams who operate a A/B/C ticket price structure.

I can't believe anyone would think any different. I'd say for Dagenham, their boss was probably thinking more about the challenge the game will be than the glamour of the tie. I doubt there'll be more than 2500 there.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Jun 2008 00:46

Rev Algenon Stickleback H

Yep, nobody will raise their game for a match v us, and we'll be routinely nudged into the "C" category of teams who operate a A/B/C ticket price structure.

I can't believe anyone would think any different. I'd say for Dagenham, their boss was probably thinking more about the challenge the game will be than the glamour of the tie. I doubt there'll be more than 2500 there.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not. My guess is not...

gonesy

by gonesy » 16 Jun 2008 00:56

My point was that players always want to test themselves against teams relegated from the Premiership to see how far away from Premiership standard they are. After finishing eighth in the Prem a year ago, we will be prime targets. Not an excuse but something the players will have to accept and find a way to overcome.

StevenKelliher

by StevenKelliher » 16 Jun 2008 06:16

I think in all fairness, if we are serious about getting promoted next season, then it's US who should be treating every game like a cup final. Not other teams. If we go into it thinking that all we have to do is turn up and we'll win, well i think we will be looking over our shoulders rather than pushing for promotion.

g

by g » 16 Jun 2008 06:28

StevenKelliher I think in all fairness, if we are serious about getting promoted next season, then it's US who should be treating every game like a cup final.

that didn't work too well last season

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 16 Jun 2008 07:54

We will play a very weakened side ( fringe flayers )
Good to see that it's a "cup final" playing us to a team though.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 17 Jun 2008 18:05

rg6royal We will play a very weakened side ( fringe flayers )
Good to see that it's a "cup final" playing us to a team though.
We need somebody to whip them into shape :shock:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Jun 2008 18:50

gonesy Ready to be the "Cup Final" for most teams we play nxt yr?

Really makes you wonder how on earth Reading fans got the reputation of being arrogant doesn't it

:roll:

gonesy

by gonesy » 18 Jun 2008 01:22

Not arrogant just realistic. I live in Plymouth & most Argyle fans look up to teams like Reading & Wigan for what they have achieved & obviously envy us. They see our club as a model for success that they would love theirs to replicate. And as for the opening Madstad fixture, they are already talking about bringing 4000 fans up for it just like they did the last couple of times. I admit this is partly because we are one of the closest Championship teams to them but it is also because our stadium dumps on their ground from a great height and they see it as a good day out with a big match feel. Now I don't know about you people but aside from it being the first home game next season, I'm not getting that excited about playing Plymouth Argyle :lol:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Jun 2008 10:03

gonesy Not arrogant just realistic. I live in Plymouth & most Argyle fans look up to teams like Reading & Wigan for what they have achieved & obviously envy us. They see our club as a model for success that they would love theirs to replicate. And as for the opening Madstad fixture, they are already talking about bringing 4000 fans up for it just like they did the last couple of times. I admit this is partly because we are one of the closest Championship teams to them but it is also because our stadium dumps on their ground from a great height and they see it as a good day out with a big match feel. Now I don't know about you people but aside from it being the first home game next season, I'm not getting that excited about playing Plymouth Argyle :lol:

I am.

I lived in Plymouth for a while and I love the Argyle fans (Up the Argoyle!). I love the way they cheer at anything green - when traffic lights change/when they see a green parrot in a window etc, their lovely accent and the way they call everyone 'me lover'. I was there when they got promoted and everywhere you went there were pictures of the team and everyone was so proud of them. Reminds me of Reading in a way. OK, so they're not Man Utd, and maybe the quality of football isn't as good, but the passion's still there.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 18 Jun 2008 12:39

Is that why PAFC are happy to be 'green with envy' at our achievements?