"I will be delighted if this group of players stays"

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

"I will be delighted if this group of players stays"

by TBM » 31 Jul 2008 11:08

“We’ll be on standby come what May but I will be delighted if this group of players stays here and starts the campaign. “

These are Coppells words in today's EP - what i dont understand is if he wants to keep these players together then keep them together and simply reject any offers for players....its not as if we need the money :?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: "I will be delighted if this group of players stays"

by brendywendy » 31 Jul 2008 11:10

he means that if someone comes in with a big enough offer-that we think is equal to, or more than the worth of the player then we will look at it, and let the player know-then its down to them and their agents

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 31 Jul 2008 11:11

We've already said we won't stop people leaving (except hunt)

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 31 Jul 2008 11:13

brendywendy he means that if someone comes in with a big enough offer-that we think is equal to, or more than the worth of the player then we will look at it, and let the player know-then its down to them and their agents

Yes i know but if he wants to keep the players here then just turn the offer down, no matter how big it is - we got enough cash from being in the Premiership for 2 seasons plus the fact we hardly spent much this season on players and have received a large sum for Kitson.......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 31 Jul 2008 11:19

TBM
brendywendy he means that if someone comes in with a big enough offer-that we think is equal to, or more than the worth of the player then we will look at it, and let the player know-then its down to them and their agents

Yes i know but if he wants to keep the players here then just turn the offer down, no matter how big it is - we got enough cash from being in the Premiership for 2 seasons plus the fact we hardly spent much this season on players and have received a large sum for Kitson.......

then you have the gamble of whether that player will turn into a sidwell, or a shorey on the back of that.

one playing out of his skin to get himself the best deal at the end of his contract
the other getting despondant, loosing his edge as subconciously he knows he wanted to go.

i reckon the big majority of players would react as shorey did last year.

they are being as hard as they can by saying we wont accept anything lower than our valuations

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 31 Jul 2008 12:02

brendywendy
TBM

then you have the gamble of whether that player will turn into a sidwell, or a shorey on the back of that.

one playing out of his skin to get himself the best deal at the end of his contract
the other getting despondant, loosing his edge as subconciously he knows he wanted to go.

they are being as hard as they can by saying we wont accept anything lower than our valuations

I think the Harper saga is a great example of this. Boro are obviously interested, but we've set a price and there is no way, it seems that we will go under this price. Harper is obviously well aware of the situation but as a model professional repsects the clubs valuation and will continue to give 100%.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 Jul 2008 12:19

Yes, and I think that with Shorey SC is going to repeat his genius of managing Sidwell's last season here :

"OK, everyone knows you want to leave but there are no offers which appropriate to what you're really worth - now you have the opportunity with us to show everyone what you can do and get yourself an offer which is worthy of your ability."

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 31 Jul 2008 12:21

Out of interest, when will Harper be allowed to leave for nothing, a la Sidwell and most likely Shorey?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Jul 2008 12:23

Bill Oddie's Beard
brendywendy

I think the Harper saga is a great example of this. Boro are obviously interested, but we've set a price and there is no way, it seems that we will go under this price. Harper is obviously well aware of the situation but as a model professional repsects the clubs valuation and will continue to give 100%.

Yep and the flipside i guess is why Kitson is now plying his trade at Stoke.

Streets

by Streets » 31 Jul 2008 12:31

I will be delighted if this group of players stay...

Hahnemann

Rosenior
Bikey
Sonko
Ivar
Pearce
Murty
Dubes

Henry
Kebe
Matejovski
Harper
Hunt
Cisse

Doyle
Lita

There's very much a decent 11 in there and with the signing of Hunt and one or two additions more, we look quite good actually.

Shorey - needs to go. Heart aint in it and he let us down last season. He'll be worse still if he stays.
Bryn - maybe from the bench but i'd rather see Cisse get a game or Bikey in the CM.
Long - jury is out. Had long enough now.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 31 Jul 2008 12:40

Make do in other words.Typical cheap option. I think if we had signed a couple of quality players most fans would have sat up and thought the club was really serious in its attempt to bounce back at the first attempt. By not signing a quality right sided player to replace Little/Oster and a recognised striker to replace Kitson I think the club are leaving themselves short. The jury is very much out on Henry/Kebbe/N Hunt. We shall see.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 31 Jul 2008 13:26

He's not making do, we genuinely have a good squad. Name me a better Rb than Rosenior in this league, or a better CB than Bikey, or a better left back than Shorey, or a better CM than Matejovsky, or a better LM than S. Hunt. Then Doyle and Lita are on a similar level to the likes of Phillips, Bent and McFadden at Brum, whilst Long could prove himself this season and N. Hunt has a good record in the SPL. Harper was still good last season and appears to be staying, Hahnemann was our player of the season. On the right Kebe has had a great pre-season and James Henry is highly rated, as are other youngsters Jem Karacan and Alex Pearce.

People can moan all they want, the fact of the matter is 22 of the other 23 clubs in this league would swap their squad with ours without thinking about it.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 31 Jul 2008 13:31

rhroyal He's not making do, we genuinely have a good squad. Name me a better Rb than Rosenior in this league, or a better CB than Bikey, or a better left back than Shorey, or a better CM than Matejovsky, or a better LM than S. Hunt. Then Doyle and Lita are on a similar level to the likes of Phillips, Bent and McFadden at Brum, whilst Long could prove himself this season and N. Hunt has a good record in the SPL. Harper was still good last season and appears to be staying, Hahnemann was our player of the season. On the right Kebe has had a great pre-season and James Henry is highly rated, as are other youngsters Jem Karacan and Alex Pearce.

People can moan all they want, the fact of the matter is 22 of the other 23 clubs in this league would swap their squad with ours without thinking about it.

I'm sure there are a number of left midfielders in the division that can actually put a cross in :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Jul 2008 13:38

rhroyal He's not making do, we genuinely have a good squad. Name me a better Rb than Rosenior in this league, or a better CB than Bikey, or a better left back than Shorey, or a better CM than Matejovsky, or a better LM than S. Hunt. Then Doyle and Lita are on a similar level to the likes of Phillips, Bent and McFadden at Brum, whilst Long could prove himself this season and N. Hunt has a good record in the SPL. Harper was still good last season and appears to be staying, Hahnemann was our player of the season. On the right Kebe has had a great pre-season and James Henry is highly rated, as are other youngsters Jem Karacan and Alex Pearce.

Graeme Murty

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 Jul 2008 13:39

Streets I will be delighted if this group of players stay...

Hahnemann

Rosenior
Bikey
Sonko
Ivar
Pearce
Murty
Dubes

Henry
Kebe
Matejovski
Harper
Hunt
Cisse

Doyle
Lita

There's very much a decent 11 in there and with the signing of Hunt and one or two additions more, we look quite good actually.

Shorey - needs to go. Heart aint in it and he let us down last season. He'll be worse still if he stays.
Bryn - maybe from the bench but i'd rather see Cisse get a game or Bikey in the CM.
Long - jury is out. Had long enough now.

Are you mad?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 31 Jul 2008 13:39

rhroyal and N. Hunt has a good record in the SPL.

31 goals in 101+43 appearances.

His best season, last year, saw him score 10 or 11 league goals from open play in a 38 game season. It's not a record to make you sit up and take too much notice.

He may still turn out to be a good player, I just don't understand the constant references to his record in the SPL as anything above average.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 31 Jul 2008 13:40

Ian Royal

Graeme Murty
Are you joking me? We actually stopped conceding so many goals when Murty picked up his injury. He's past his peak.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Jul 2008 13:42

For a couple of games.

Rosenior has made several crucial slips and has a habit of placing his passes into touch or to the opposition from the few bits and bobs I've seen of him.

I think Murty offers just as much in a different way and is more important to the team as a whole. Saying that, if Rosenior can pull his act together he has the potential to be much better.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 31 Jul 2008 13:43

Ian Royal

Graeme Murty

Stephen Kelly, Tyron Mears wasn't bad at this level when he was at Preston, and the same can be said for David Alexander too.

Rosenoir is more than capable in this division though, as is Murty.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jul 2008 13:54

Ian Royal Rosenior has made several crucial slips and has a habit of placing his passes into touch or to the opposition from the few bits and bobs I've seen of him.

8)