""We were on standby."

Should we have brought in more players, despite keeping most of the team?

Yeah, we need more players.
16%
Yeah, it can't do any harm.
19%
Don't care.
8%
Nope, we can manage without.
29%
Nope, we're perfectly fine.
28%

Total votes: 118
SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

""We were on standby."

by SteveRoyal » 02 Sep 2008 11:47

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 76,00.html

Steve Coppell We were on standby. We had a couple of deals lined up in case we lost a player. I'm not stupid, I knew some clubs would make panic buys based on poor results. If we lost key players, we had ones we could bring in.

Is anyone else a bit upset that we didn't try to sign these 'standby' players anyway? The could have proved to help the squad.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: ""We were on standby."

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Sep 2008 11:50

SteveRoyal http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1382476,00.html

Steve Coppell We were on standby. We had a couple of deals lined up in case we lost a player. I'm not stupid, I knew some clubs would make panic buys based on poor results. If we lost key players, we had ones we could bring in.

Is anyone else a bit upset that we didn't try to sign these 'standby' players anyway? The could have proved to help the squad.

It depends who they were, how much they would've cost and which positions they were lined up to fill in for

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Sep 2008 11:50

What a rubbish thread and a rubbish poll.

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 11:51

SteveRoyal http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1382476,00.html

Coppell must be happy with the strength in depth available to him, or maybe money wasn't 'really' there unless anyone else did leave. :|

Streets

by Streets » 02 Sep 2008 11:51

Thaumagurist* What a rubbish thread and a rubbish poll.

That you had to post on.

Hack his account!!!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Sep 2008 11:51

Thaumagurist* What a rubbish thread and a rubbish poll.

:P

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2008 11:55

Southbank Old Boy

It depends who they were, how much they would've cost and which positions they were lined up to fill in for

LOL

I just said exactly that to myself.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 02 Sep 2008 11:56

Well as we lost no-one, why sign players just for the sake of it. That's just pure Chelsea srategy!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Sep 2008 12:02

royalexile Well as we lost no-one, why sign players just for the sake of it. That's just pure Chelsea srategy!

Another LB, CM and RW would have been handy, though. Just to have in case of injury.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 02 Sep 2008 12:06

Regarding the "on standby part" - I heard a rumor yesterday that went along the lines of if Doyle left then we would buy David Nugent from Pompey.

Makes complete sense to have a player ligned up just in case one of your current squad is sold - especially when last season's August transfer window (for us and Nicky Shorey) shut when we couldn't get a replacement left back sorted - look at the Benjani / Defoe saga in January.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Sep 2008 12:08

papereyes
Southbank Old Boy It depends who they were, how much they would've cost and which positions they were lined up to fill in for

LOL

I just said exactly that to myself.

Yeah, thus rendering this thread a bit pointless. We don't know who they were and anyway, I'm thinking that they would have been considered "replacements", not "improvements", so there's not much point in wondering whether we should have gone for them anyway.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Sep 2008 12:18

What's the difference between "Nope, we can manage without." and "Nope, we're perfectly fine."?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 12:24

not alot, just on emphasis though
"manage" has connotations of making do, and scraping by
and perfectly fine says everythings brilliant

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2008 12:46

SteveRoyal
royalexile Well as we lost no-one, why sign players just for the sake of it. That's just pure Chelsea srategy!

Another LB, CM and RW would have been handy, though. Just to have in case of injury.

The whole message this season has been to trim the squad and cut the wage budget.

We can get loans throughout much of the season in case of injury. Why bring in players to not even sit on the bench and claim lots of wages and be unhappy, as well as displacing the youth players who are finally breaking through. Just in case.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2008 12:47

Some people keep banging on about the strength of this squad but I'm sure we had less strength in depth in 2005-6.

Indeed, I remember endless threads about how lucky we were with injuries and how few centre backs we had.

As I see it, we have now at least 2 options in very position and a lot more in some.

Whilst the much maligned Kebe has been one of our best players, Henry, as his back up, is still somewhat untested and might be potential weakness. On the olther hand, all of Hunt, Doyle and Rosenoir have played in that position before.

Without departures additions would have been surplus to requirement and most of the Championship would swap our squad for theirs.

I'm delighted, but not surprised in the slightest, that contingency plans were in place should we have been forced to sell a player or two but things now look quite rosy until January at least.

PS.

Perhaps the time has come for Leroy's fans to consider the possibility that he was dropped from Saturdays 16 purely for footballing reasons.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 02 Sep 2008 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Sep 2008 12:50

sure its more to do with having had a couple of starts and not scored, and coppell wanting to rotate till he finds his best combo up front.
his attitudes been brilliant so far this season anyway IMO

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Sep 2008 12:53

Okay, well I see I looked at what was said in a different way than was supposed to. :o

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2008 12:55

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 76,00.html

In some ways, our last minute buys in response to other clubs making last minute panic buys from us would also have been panic buys! Coppell also referred to last minute panic buys as being the result of poor/mismanagement!

brendywendy sure its more to do with having had a couple of starts and not scored, and coppell wanting to rotate till he finds his best combo up front.
his attitudes been brilliant so far this season anyway IMO

When it comes to football itself, brendywendy and I can actually agree on some things. I certainly agree with his assessment of Lita's attitude this season.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 02 Sep 2008 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2008 12:57

I certainly agree that Lita's attitude looks a lot better but his contrbution has still been minimal and much worse than Long's, who himself has been disappointing for much of the time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2008 12:59

SteveRoyal

No.

The could prove to disrupt the squad.

We seem at the moment to have a good core of people here except for a slight weakness right wing in terms of backup.

Madman wantd a smaller squad and Coppell says a smaller squad is more manageable. Getting extra people in would be of little benefit unless they were the likes of Ronaldo. My guess is they'd be unknowns who would take more time to settle and find their form than it would take our current players to gel.

Having held onto Hunt and Lita I think we've done the best of a bad job.