Reading slam meddling agents...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Reading slam meddling agents...

by readingbedding » 04 Sep 2008 12:31

From the Chronic.

READING have taken a swipe at football agents after Republic of Ireland duo Stephen Hunt and Kevin Doyle voiced their disappointment at failing to secure deadline-day moves.

Everton boss David Moyes was reported to have made a £3.5 million bid for winger Hunt shortly before Monday’s midnight deadline.

And it was rumoured Tottenham Hotspur made a late attempt to call the Royals regarding Doyle’s availability as Dimitar Berbatov edged near a £30.75 million move to Manchester United – but could not get an answer.

But Royals director of football Nick Hammond told The Chronicle: “There was no official contact from any club over the weekend.

“But someone has been misinformed somewhere down the line, although that is often the way with football and players’ agents these days.”

He added: “My phone was ringing until 10.20pm on Monday night with agents offering me players we had never discussed before and some I have never heard of. It’s a ridiculous situation.

“Players also take stock of what their agents say so situations can become easily confused.

“If we are interested in a player we won’t call their agent. We will contact their club directly to make an official inquiry or an official bid.

“That’s how we like doing things and it stops all these unnecessary rumours flying around.”

Manager Steve Coppell also accused agents of meddling in transfer dealings for their own financial benefit.

“Agents know they have 24 hours to make as much money as they can,” he said. “The way to do that is to cause unrest and unsettle players – make them appear more desirable than they may be.

“I think we have been more than fair to everyone in the squad. Everyone had a price and, if it was met, I made a deal available to the player. That gave everyone the opportunity to move if conditions were met.”

Reading confirmed Moyes had a conversation with Coppell on Sunday but insist no bid was made.

Hammond explained: “Steve Coppell called me on Sunday to say he had spoken to David Moyes to ask about the situation of a couple of players. But that was it. Managers have conversations all of the time but there was no official bid and no other contact.

“Stephen Hunt signed an exceptionally good contract in January. For one reason or another most clubs know what his contractual situation is. But we have had no official contact about him over the summer.”

And Coppell also denied a bid had been lodged by the Toffees: “That was not the case. I spoke to David Moyes on Sunday and he asked about the situation regarding a number of players. I explained the situation and never heard from him again.”

Aston Villa offered £5 million for Doyle earlier this summer but Reading were looking for more. However, a startling revelation emerged this week that Spurs boss Juande Ramos wanted the 24-year-old striker to boost their firepower with Berbatov, Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe all now departed.

However, Hammond, insisted: “I have a very good relationship with Damien Comolli at Spurs and I also know Daniel Levy.

“If Tottenham had been interested they would have called me directly, I have no doubt about that. But there was no contact, there is no truth in it whatsoever.”

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading slam meddling agents...

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Sep 2008 12:37

Well, well, well...............

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Sep 2008 12:39

Doyle at Spurs ? LOL.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Sep 2008 12:41

Zammo Doyle at Spurs ? LOL.

Don't let Kitson know!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Sep 2008 12:49

Good article and words from coppell. That is something I REALLY agree with. Agents are scum and need to suffer repercussion's or a rulebook to abide by. They are money grabbing twats who brainwash players( who have very little mental capacity like hunt) and cause them to be unhappy and look to move. Hunt has started to beleive his own hipe, thats why he was " disappointed" he's not at everton. We picked him up from when he was about to join bradford city, look where they were at then and look where they were at now. Coppell MADE him the player he is and he owes that to him. We will not lower our value of players because agents decide their player is going to move. They meet the asking price or they don't get the player, simple. Hunt has no right to be disappointed as the asking price wasn't met, end of story.

I hope this isn't the shorey situation all over again. Shorey acted like a spoilt brat who couldn't be bothered. He should of been put to the sword publicly over why he was so bad, instead he got away with it and get a move in the summer. If hunt starts to play crap with no work rate then id like the fans to make their opinions of him heard.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Sep 2008 12:52

It's a very well moaning about it, but it is the same for every other side.

I'm sure there were lots of players who 'missed' out on a big move, you don't here Joe Ledley moaning about it, just DOyle and Hunt.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 04 Sep 2008 12:53

1) We never had anybody to cover for when Shorey was playing badly
2) I can't see Hunt not giving anything less than 100% as we have Convey as cover if he does play up and he knows he'll get dropped

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Sep 2008 13:03

Matt de K 1) We never had anybody to cover for when Shorey was playing badly

I would suggest a proper 'professional' ie De la Cruz could have done that job and perhaps should have been given the opportunity.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 04 Sep 2008 13:13

What I find depressing about this scenario is that Sky Sports News chiefly, along with other media outlets, can blithely run a story saying Moyes has bid £3.5-million thus unsettling the player, when it is blatantly untrue.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Sep 2008 13:18

Probably 'leaked' to SSN by someone looking to gain from the 'story'.

Possibly an irresponsible Agent?

I mean, I dunno here, clutching at straws.

HMMMMMMMM

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Sep 2008 13:31

Norfolk Royal What I find depressing about this scenario is that Sky Sports News chiefly, along with other media outlets, can blithely run a story saying Moyes has bid £3.5-million thus unsettling the player, when it is blatantly untrue.

Given that at about 10.30pm on deadline day Sky Sports claimed to have received a call from Reading FC stating that there would be no transfers in or out, you would have thought that they could have rung their contact at RFC to verify the Everton bid. But then, of course, they wouldn't have had a story!!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 04 Sep 2008 13:52

Surely Sky Sports News should check their stories first, get a confirmation, before running it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Sep 2008 13:52

RoyalBlue
Norfolk Royal What I find depressing about this scenario is that Sky Sports News chiefly, along with other media outlets, can blithely run a story saying Moyes has bid £3.5-million thus unsettling the player, when it is blatantly untrue.

Given that at about 10.30pm on deadline day Sky Sports claimed to have received a call from Reading FC stating that there would be no transfers in or out, you would have thought that they could have rung their contact at RFC to verify the Everton bid. But then, of course, they wouldn't have had a story!!

And likewise the source at Reading could've denied it there and then and told them to stop running it.

I wonder if Reading were happy for it to be run at the time so that it might spark someone else into bidding the full £5m?

Archies Left Foot
Location: Well it's something your mother can't abide, but it's something that I freely prescribe

by Archies Left Foot » 04 Sep 2008 13:59

And now we know the truth, I hope that SHunt after all his gobbing off in the papers comes back with his tail wedged firmly between his legs and apologises for the comments he made about the club.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Sep 2008 14:03

RoyalBlue
Matt de K 1) We never had anybody to cover for when Shorey was playing badly

I would suggest a proper 'professional' ie De la Cruz could have done that job and perhaps should have been given the opportunity.

cant hep but agree with that-should have at least got a couple of games to give nicky the kick up the arse he needed

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 04 Sep 2008 14:31

Thaumagurist* Surely Sky Sports News should check their stories first, get a confirmation, before running it.

LOL

How very naive

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 04 Sep 2008 14:35

Jerry St Clair
Thaumagurist* Surely Sky Sports News should check their stories first, get a confirmation, before running it.

LOL

How very naive

Why? Shouldn't they do that to avoid getting sued for running untrue stories. I think Reading should sue Sky Sports News.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Sep 2008 14:37

Thaumagurist* Why? Shouldn't they do that to avoid getting sued for running untrue stories. I think Reading should sue Sky Sports News.

If man united can't do it with their finances and stature, reading haven;t got a chance. This is modern day football for you.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Sep 2008 16:29

Thaumagurist* Why? Shouldn't they do that to avoid getting sued for running untrue stories. I think Reading should sue Sky Sports News.

On what legal basis?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Sep 2008 16:33

Its the LOLaw