Noel Hunt, the new Andy Johnson?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Noel Hunt, the new Andy Johnson?

by Top Flight » 18 Sep 2008 13:27

Noel Hunt could be a revelation for the Royals this season....

His movement around the box is causing havoc in Championship defences. If he is not setting up a goal then he is scoring them.

He was involved either creating or scoring 4 out of the 5 goals against Luton. He was creating or scoring significantly against Wednesday. He scored against the Daggers and when he has come on in short bursts as a sub, he has been causing absolute chaos in opposition defences hitting woodwork and getting in all kinds of dangerous areas.

Noel Hunt should now be undroppable on the basis of his contribution up to now. His name should now be first on the teamsheet at Watford. If I was to put a bet on at this stage I reckon Noel Hunt could be the Championships top scorer this season. And as for Doyler, with a partner like Noel, he is gonna get an absolute hatful as well. Doyler don't bother leaving the Royals in January, the Hunt-Doyle partnership could be devastating in the Premiership. Stay and make it happen.

Hunts clever and fast movement is similar to AJ. What does everyone else think?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Noel Hunt, the new Andy Johnson?

by readingbedding » 18 Sep 2008 13:34

Don't know about Andy Johnson, hopefully not as injury prone as Baldy Johnson.

So far, very happy with him, exciting player and he's definitely good enough to partner Doyle through the season.
They'll be barren spells and the like, but like his brother, he'll work 100%.

They'll be no surprise if he's upfront with Doyle this weekend.
Hopefully causing havoc.

Captain Lager

by Captain Lager » 18 Sep 2008 13:37

Seems to have struck a fantastic three way partnership with Doyle and Shunt. How many goals have we seen already when those three have linked up? I agree, he looks very good and shouldn't be dropped. I know that sounds obvious but it is Coppell and I duly expect Long to start at Watford.
Noticed he was chasing down the goalkeeper a lot as well. Complete waste of time but shows how much energy he's got. Hooray for Hunts!

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 18 Sep 2008 13:38

He doesn't have the pace of AJ (but he isn't slow by any means either). From what I saw on Tuesday, Noel looks like a better linking player than AJ and continually pops up in the right place. Better in the air too.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 18 Sep 2008 13:40

Yeah, he seems to hang in the air, like Quinn used to do.
If he's anywhere near as good as J Quinn was in the air for us, we'll have a very good all-round striker.

I doubt Coppell will drop him for Saturday based on form if he's ready to play.

Colchester Royal

by Colchester Royal » 18 Sep 2008 13:43

NHunt is a great player, great find. Like SSC said before, you don't find these kind of players every day and i think it was a greaT buy. how much are his goals worth now or even his assists as well? Great find. Good jumper as well, did wel against a tall defence on Tuesday. And if he does that week in week out, then he's got to be in the team against Wat?ford. I just hope SSC sees this and plays him instead of Long.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Sep 2008 13:44

Top Flight Noel Hunt could be a revelation for the Royals this season....

His movement around the box is causing havoc in Championship defences. If he is not setting up a goal then he is scoring them.

He was involved either creating or scoring 4 out of the 5 goals against Luton. He was creating or scoring significantly against Wednesday. He scored against the Daggers and when he has come on in short bursts as a sub, he has been causing absolute chaos in opposition defences hitting woodwork and getting in all kinds of dangerous areas.

Noel Hunt should now be undroppable on the basis of his contribution up to now. His name should now be first on the teamsheet at Watford. If I was to put a bet on at this stage I reckon Noel Hunt could be the Championships top scorer this season. And as for Doyler, with a partner like Noel, he is gonna get an absolute hatful as well. Doyler don't bother leaving the Royals in January, the Hunt-Doyle partnership could be devastating in the Premiership. Stay and make it happen.

Hunts clever and fast movement is similar to AJ. What does everyone else think?

Have been thinking of starting a thread for him all morning.

He does look very, very good at the moment. Is fast becoming my favourite player. Loved his enthusiasm when he scored the goals and he definitely is giving positivity to the team.

He set up Doyle's first with a very unselfish pass and crossed for Long's header against the bar.

Perhaps John 3:16 could create some kind of Hunt brothers t-shirt?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Sep 2008 13:49

I would like to add the Noel Hunt is my new favourite player. He is just what the team needs to freshen it up and he hasn't even fully settled in yet.

I doubt he will score as many Doyle up to January, but with those two and SHunt and Kebe our attacking line is looking very good.

Now we just need a central midfield to complement it, and the signs are promising with Karacan in there. But if they can't perform away from home then all that makes no difference.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 18 Sep 2008 13:51

Certainly not as quick as AJ, but his finishing looks very composed and his workrate is excellent. Was dubious about the signing in the first place but thus far is looking like a great buy.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 18 Sep 2008 14:33

Captain Lager Noticed he was chasing down the goalkeeper a lot as well. Complete waste of time but shows how much energy he's got. Hooray for Hunts!

Not quite enough stamina for 90 minutes on Tuesday though as he had to come off with cramp. The substitution got changed at the last moment as he pulled up with cramp and Ron had to get the 4th official to change his board.

Talking of energy though did you see how often Jem was practically in their box before Marcus had time to kick out from their attack - he just hared up the field so I would hope we can get a few more counter attack goals like the First Noel.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 18 Sep 2008 15:19

Hold on a minute, what's with the outbreak of positivity? I thought we were supposed to be bemoaning these cheap 'n' cheerful buys?

But I totally agree, he's really slotted in well - he's not as quick as his brother but seems faster than you expect him to be at times, probably because part of that is "in his head" (ie quick thinking). He's really good in the air as well, considering how short he is. Reservations? Tends to play on the shoulder of the last defender, therefore gets caught offside quite a lot. And his touch seemed a bit heavy in the Villa (and Plymouth?) game, so I'd like to see more of him before passing judgment on that. Looks a really good prospect already, though, and has settled in well. We are very close to having a team that completely picks itself now, especially if Harps and Jem gel as well as they did on Tuesday.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Sep 2008 15:27

Colchester Royal NHunt is a great player, great find. Like SSC said before, you don't find these kind of players every day and i think it was a greaT buy. how much are his goals worth now or even his assists as well? Great find. Good jumper as well, did wel against a tall defence on Tuesday. And if he does that week in week out, then he's got to be in the team against Wat?ford. I just hope SSC sees this and plays him instead of Long.

It doesn't take a lot for somebody to be called "great" nowadays. :D
One full league game plus a few sub appearances and he becomes a "great"?
Personally I am more pleased with the way Armstrong has slotted in and provided a bit extra bite at the back and defensively I reckon he is an improvement on Shorey and he looks to join the attacks whenever possible.

Like a lot of our players Noel was anonymous at Charlton and Ipswich but on Tuesday did well in a "great" team performance where even his brother was 10x better than at Ipswich.
Maybe he will turn out to be a Reading great but he has a long way to go before being mentioned in the same breath as other "greats" such as Kitson,Senior,Dixon and Friday.

So please don't big-up a player too much too early (same goes for Pearce and Karacan) because those that do the bigging-up are the first to knock those players down again the moment they have a poor game.

So far so good Noel and keep it up v Watford and for the rest of the season and from what I have seen your all-round game looks better than Lita's or Long's.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 Sep 2008 15:27

I don't recall Andy Johnson being much of a provider in the assists to be honest. Dirty diving little qunt yes.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 18 Sep 2008 15:32

BR2 Like a lot of our players Noel was anonymous at Charlton and Ipswich but on Tuesday did well in a "great" team performance where even his brother was 10x better than at Ipswich.
Maybe he will turn out to be a Reading great but he has a long way to go before being mentioned in the same breath as other "greats" such as Kitson,Senior,Dixon and Friday.

So please don't big-up a player too much too early (same goes for Pearce and Karacan) because those that do the bigging-up are the first to knock those players down again the moment they have a poor game.

So far so good Noel and keep it up v Watford and for the rest of the season and from what I have seen your all-round game looks better than Lita's or Long's.

I agree with most of what you say, but I didn't think Noel was "anonymous" at the Valley - came on at 4-2 down and had a couple of decent chances to get us back in the game (hit the bar with one header IIRC).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2008 16:06

Indeed. The boy done great when he came on against Charlton.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 18 Sep 2008 16:11

Royal Rother Indeed. The boy done great when he came on against Charlton.

As you would expect from a great player. :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2008 16:16

Well yes, that was my point! (You surely don't think that an ex Reading School boy would ever seriously use the expression "the boy done great"!!?)

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Sep 2008 16:19

Captain Lager I agree, he looks very good and shouldn't be dropped. I know that sounds obvious but it is Coppell and I duly expect Long to start at Watford.

Yes same here.

I know I'm a massive Coppell fan but even I will be majorly hacked off if he starts Long ahead of NHunt.

If only to shut the fans up and prove us wrong NHunt has to start with the Doyler.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2008 16:22

If fully fit Nhunt will start. Long dropped, Lita on bench.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 18 Sep 2008 16:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Captain Lager I agree, he looks very good and shouldn't be dropped. I know that sounds obvious but it is Coppell and I duly expect Long to start at Watford.

Yes same here.

I know I'm a massive Coppell fan but even I will be majorly hacked off if he starts Long ahead of NHunt.

If only to shut the fans up and prove us wrong NHunt has to start with the Doyler.

Why on earth would he start Long? He doesn't change a winning team, especially a winning strike force that scored 5 between them!!